Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2003 5:21:20 PM EDT
I hear so much about em, but I don't know ANYTHING other than how much yall like em.

What's the draw?  I have to figure out whether I need one or not!
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#1]

1. Outstanding single action trigger feel (once you remove the magazine safety).

2. Psydo high-capacity in a smaller grip framed gun.

3. Eliminated the plunger & barrel bushing of a 1911.

4. Slighty smaller size aides in concealment - less likely to "print".

5. One of the most naturally pointing handguns made.

6. All Steel construction exceppt for grips and maybe the mag follower.

7. Was designed as a 10mm - but was made as a 9mm due to customer requirements on first production run.

8. John M. Browning's Final ( got it perfect ) Pistol design.

OK - others can add to this.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
ProfGAB101 hit most of 'em.
Just to add....
1. It's an all time classic design.  If you own only one 9mm IMHO it should be the Hi-Power.

2.  Most accurate 9mm I've ever fired.  I sold my Glock to get it.

3.  Availability of inexpensive, quality hi-cap mags (at least for us "civvies")

4.  FANTASTIC ergonomics.

5.  Elegant, simple design.  It's all it needs to be and nothing more.  Perfection.

Also, you might want to check out fnhipower.com and the hi power forum over at 1911forum.com.  Stephen A. Camp is over there a lot and he's probably one of the most knowlegable people on the Hi Power period.  He's retired LE and he's carried and used a HP for many of those years.  In fact he's written what's supposed to be a VERY good book on Hi Powers.

Rich
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#3]

I hear so much about em, but I don't know ANYTHING other than how much yall like em.

What's the draw? I have to figure out whether I need one or not!

Quit burning bandwidth and just buy one.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL...just stfu and go get one eh?

Are you saying some things don't need discussion?  That I should go buy one regardless?

Maybe I should.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#5]

LOL...just stfu and go get one eh?

Are you saying some things don't need discussion? That I should go buy one regardless?

Maybe I should.

More wasted bandwidth.

Gunsmithing a Hi Power is cheaper than a 1911, the gun itself is still fairly reasonablly priced, and it's a nice size with good ergonomics. Everyone else has covered all of the high points. If you've already got the thought in your head, then go ahead and get one. You'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#6]
All of the earlier posts pretty much covered it ....could very well be the finest handgun out there....now quit talking about it cause I am starting to get all teary eyed 'cause I miss mine soo much.....

t
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone forgot to mention extremely accurate.

The HP balances better than any gun I've ever held, including the 1911.

They're a bit slow on the market due to the full size but you should be able to find a good used one if you want to save some $$$.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 1:26:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Ultra reliable.
Accurate.
Single action shootability
No handgun has the same feel in the hand, the grip shape is phenominal.
Customizable.
STEEL.
For a full size pistol, its incredibly slim, and the grip conceals well.

It is one of the most issued military pistols in the world.

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#10]
You can shoot dirt clods through one, everything feeds and it won't jam
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#11]
 Cuz they rock...and roll.  
 TIPS: Remove mag safety, and if you plan to shoot it A LOT (say over five thousand rounds ) then put in a Cylinder and Slide sear because the Browning one is cast and will wear over time (takes FOREVER...but I have done it and so have others )then try a few different plungers and springs that fit in the ON and OFF notches of the safety till you can get as close to a "snick" feel as you can...

For about sixty bucks and some good "quality time" with your Browning you now have one hell of a pistol....if you don't plan on shooting it a whole heck of a lot...then just leave it...and you'll still love it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Because they beautiful...

Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I love mine and like getting cheap hi-caps for it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:55:52 AM EDT
[#14]
A couple of HP's I've had were not too good about feeding hollowpoints.

They are rather more challenging to work on vs. the 1911, and it helps to have a third hand to get them back together.  But given a safety lever that the human thumb can actually manipulate (I like the Novak safety), a little work on the trigger, and after chucking the magazine safety into the weeds, you should have a pretty nice gun.  

However, I still think it was pure stupidity to stamp the serial number on the friggin' frontstrap.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#15]

However, I still think it was pure stupidity to stamp the serial number on the friggin' frontstrap.

That's been changed. The new ones marketed through FNHUSA have the serial number on the right side of the frame.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:25:44 AM EDT
[#16]
The serial number thing doesnt bother me.  I prefer stippling on HPs anyway.  

As for reliability with hollowpoints, older guns had a humped feed ramp that needed throating.  They have come from the factory for many years now fully throated, and Ive yet to see a Browning malf with good ammo and good mags.  They are notorious for their reliability.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#17]
The only advantage I can see to the Hi-Power is that it does seem to be a fairly sleek handling little blaster.

But the hammer bite is awful and the trigger on them is usually horrid. Not much fun to disassemble either. Stock safety sucks.

But they are beautiful, especially when they have been worked over by a good gunsmith and refinished. They can look so sexy when they are dressed up...
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The only advantage I can see to the Hi-Power is that it does seem to be a fairly sleek handling little blaster.

But the hammer bite is awful and the trigger on them is usually horrid. Not much fun to disassemble either. Stock safety sucks.

But they are beautiful, especially when they have been worked over by a good gunsmith and refinished. They can look so sexy when they are dressed up...

You shooting an FEG model?  Those have pretty crappy triggers.  The real Brownings should be pretty nice.  Disassembly isn't hard and takes patience.   Hammer bite isn't a problem if you have a model with a ring hammer.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#19]
What is this whining about disassembly?

Lock slide with safety, remove slide stop, remove slide, remove guide rod and spring, remove barrel.

Done.

It certainly doesnt compare to something like a Ruger .22.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What's the draw? I have to figure out whether I need one or not!

Quit burning bandwidth and just buy one.

Yea you know you want one so go get it
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#21]
All right, you SOBs...I'm going to pick up my new 9mm HP-Practical after work today!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
All right, you SOBs...I'm going to pick up my new 9mm HP-Practical after work today!

Hokie says he is too.  Get some Spegels and make it a thing of beauty.  Best feeling grips out there too:

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm a rubber Hogue kind of guy.  Got 'em on my 1911, AR15, HK USP, Beretta 87 and Ruger Mark II.  Just can't help it..nothing else feels good to me!

Edit - can somebody walk me through removing the magazine safety?

Tanks!
QS
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Edit - can somebody walk me through removing the magazine safety?

fnhipower.com/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1&categories=Hi+Power+Mechanicals

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Hokie,

I had doubts/reservations/etc. before I ever held & fired one.  Surely one of your shootin' buds has got one - ask to try it.  You'll either be sold or you won't - but I'll bet you WILL.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah Lumpy drove the nail in the coffin.  I'm gonna get one.

Might take me a month, but it's on the agenda.

And to think I actually tossed around a Glock 17...
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#27]

And to think I actually tossed around a Glock 17...

And why were you thinking that?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Hammer bite from the ring hammer?
I always thought of it as kissing my hand for pulling it's trigger.
My FEG copy finally wore out the extractor spring after many years of blastin' but still remains tight.
A $3 spring later, it's back in business.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Well she's home!! Pics to follow...  What a cutie!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Yeah Lumpy drove the nail in the coffin.

Yeah, he is REAL good at that. It's driving me nuts.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But that Galil is going to be sweet
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But that Galil is going to be sweet

Well, I wasn't going to hold that against you. . I tend to think that we have similiar tastes, and I am slowly catching up with you.

Galil shortly, Hi Power eventually, and a few more AK's to mix things up.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Browning HP comes in 9mm, and .40, but not .45.  Is it correct?
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Browning HP comes in 9mm, and .40, but not .45. Is it correct?

Right, but I think FEG makes a Hi Power-like .45.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok, Answer me this. Why the hell are the Hi-powers not on Browning's website?
www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/index.asp

After reading this thread, I decided that I, too, need to add a Hi-power to my collection. I already have a BDM, so it needs its big brother. I go to the website to find out the different grades and what they mean, and they aren't there. WTF? A search of "hi-power" on the site leads me to 2 replacement magazine links, but no pistols. Are they ashamed of making a civilian pistol?
tony
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Ok, Answer me this. Why the hell are the Hi-powers not on Browning's website?

Because Browning's parent company FN, the actual maker of the Hi Power, has elected to market them under their own name.

CLICK D LINK
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:01:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Ah ha!
Thanks Jim. I'm pretty sure the last Hi-power I saw was marked Browning. I was afraid Browning had gone the way of Colt and was abandoning the civilians.
thanks,
tony
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:13:23 AM EDT
[#38]
My first pistol 15yrs ago was a High Power MK II.
It is still my favorite, even though I now have
4 more to keep it company.
The little Browning HP is the best 9mm pistol
made in the world today IMHO. (the .40s&w ones
are nice too)

Although Glocks, Sigs, Springfield XDs, Kahr,
and whatever are good pistols, my Browning has
not let me down and I see no need to change
it now.
She has been a faithful companion for over 15yrs
now and even sits in my lap as I type this.
(We went out and she was being cleaned)

The only thing I'm thinking of is a threaded barrel
and an AAC suppressor for her.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top