Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2003 10:11:50 PM EDT
i have to by a new pistol for work, i have sigs and glocks but i am unable to use these on duty. i have been looking at the USP40 and im very intrested in it. do you guys have any experience with these pistols? are they the same quality as the sigs? how is the reliability in the real world? whats another pistol that is comparable to the USP40 that i can look at?  please no 1911s, i dont want to have to put another 200 bucks into the pistol to make it work. thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never had a .40, but I've owned a couple .45 USP's. I really like them. The trigger gets smoother over time.

I now have a Walther P99 in 9mm. I love that thing. It just seems natural, even though the trigger feels kinda nasty. I'm hoping it will also smooth out, but I seem to hit what I'm aiming at every time with that.

I had a Sig 226, also in 9mm. That one had the best/smoothest trigger of the three.

So anyway, I can't offer help ;) I like all three of the pistols mentioned. I can only suggest you find a range that rents, and try some different ones out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#2]
It's been my experience that, generally speaking, any USP is more accurate than any other brand or model. I had a Sig P-220 that my USP .45 would shoot rings around.

I soon hope to have another USP in .357Sig for my carry gun.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#3]
In my experience, the USP is of the same quality and reliability as a Sig.  I've not had a problem with either of mine and they both function flawlessly.  The USP decocker is better placed and easier to us.  Also, the USP has an external safety which is nice.

The mag release is not as friendly on a USP as on a Sig, however.  But it is not something you can't get used to and it is ambidextrous.  

I find both my USP & my Sig to be equally accurate!  

As to recommendations of other possible handguns, you could look at the Springfield XD40 which is very similar to the glocks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
You will not be unhappy with a USP.
I have a full size 45 and a compact 40.
Both work very well.
Once you get use to the mag release you will be spoiled when you use anything else.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Love my USP .45F.

I wouldn't trade my mag release for anything.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
USP 40's are awesome. No other way to put it. As reliable and accurate as a Sig, yet maybe just a tad tougher. It works VERY well in the real world.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#7]
thank you for the replies, you guys reinforced what i thought.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:37:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I just bought one.  Put 1000 rounds of ammunition through it without one cleaning, no added lube, or anything.

Not one failure of any kind.

From what I gather on HKPRO, this is the kind of reliability you should expect from every HK pistol.

They really do seem to be the best of the best.  Their price reflects it too :-) but its well worth it.  

I like my full size .40 so much, that I'm now saving my pennies for a USP tactical.  Awesome peices, and it takes ALOT for me to want to double up on a particular firearm, considering there are still alot of firearms I need to complete my "collection".  But they can wait, the USP really is that damn good.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:14:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Got two for sale in EE. I'm selling them bacuse they are too big for my hand. They worked flawlessly and were very accurate.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I know off duty SEALs like the USP45F for carry. I don't like plastic guns in general, but I like my USP.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#11]
You know another funny thing about USPs is the dirtier they get, the better they shoot.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I heard that the only problem with HK is availability of spare parts.  Most of complains go toward HK-USA customer service.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got a USP 9 a few days ago, and have a few hundred rounds through it. I know its not many, but so far it seems to be very accurate, and Ive had no jams.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#14]
You will be the happiest gun owner alive.  I have a USP .45 Tactical, just sold a USP.40C Stainless to buy a USP .40C LEM.  I love it like a child.  I am going down to the shop to pick up a SOCOM tonight.  I just cannot help myself.  Going back and forth between the P7M8 and the SOCOM but I hear that if the new AWB makes it they will no longer be imported and sold so I might go for the Mk23 SOCOM for that reason alone.  Hell they are both Hella cool.  They are the most accurate handgun I have ever shot, reliable times 10, cust service is good in my book.  I lost a Jesus clip and I called them and sent them my guide rod and they replaced it for free with an updated one and had it back in less than a week.  Not to mention they have a lifetime warranty.  Cant beat that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 10,000+ rounds, mostly reloads through My USP 40 and it is as accurate as the day I bought it. I have had zero problems and believe that there is no better combat pistol made,
(there may be some as good but none better).

I am left handed and it is the only hand gun I have that allows you the options of placing the decocker on the right side and further options of having a safety or no. The slide release is massive, the mag release easy to get to from either side and the trigger guard oversized to allow the user to wear gloves. Also the design allows the trigger finger to go to the trigger from the slide automatically. Can't do that with a Glock.  

The bad news: Customer support is slow as Law Enforcement and Military get priority but you shouldn't need it and magazines can be expensive.

It is a rock solid firearm.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I love my USP 40.  Very accurate and 100% reliable.  I don't think you could go wrong with one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:06:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I owned an H&K USP .40 Compact, and it was a fine weapon. It's only flaw was that it was chambered in .40 S&W, so it did not get carried much. But it was dead reliable and very comfortable to carry.

Many of my Blackwater instructors choose the USP as their duty weapon. It is a phenominal pistol that you really can't go wrong with.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
"I know off duty SEALs like the USP45F for carry."

Will you explain how you know this?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Another satisfied USP .40 owner here.

It's several years old and I've never had any trouble with it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I might be able to help.
My best friend of thirty years is a former SEAL who was in the teams for over ten years.
We have discussed this and other topics many times.  He said that a majority of the guys from his team and from others he knew about liked and owned the USP.45 for their personal "off duty" weapon.
He also said some prefered glocks and some had 1911's, but the USP.45's were well liked.
You might also go here tacticalforums.com and check out the SEAL forum. It is moderated by a real SEAL.  Also do a search there regarding the USP's and you will get similar responses.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My best friend of thirty years is a former SEAL who was in the teams for over ten years.
We have discussed this and other topics many times.  He said that a majority of the guys from his team and from others he knew about liked and owned the USP.45 for their personal "off duty" weapon.
He also said some prefered glocks and some had 1911's, but the USP.45's were well liked.
You might also go here tacticalforums.com and check out the SEAL forum. It is moderated by a real SEAL.  Also do a search there regarding the USP's and you will get similar responses.

Similar situation on my end. Same results.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I love my USP .40.  It has several thousand rounds through it now with not one single jam, problem or hickup.  Probably the most reliable and accurate pistol I own.  I recently picked up a Walther Military P99 in .40 and I gotta say this one is right up there on my "love that gun" list.  They both have the mag release in the same place wich I prefer since I have shorter fingers and can't usually reach the mag release on most pistols with out repositioning my grip.  The Walther only has about 500 rnds through it now, but so far it has not had a single failure of any sort as well.

You can't really go wrong with either one of them.  Unfortunately they are both pretty expensive.  Between my HK, Walther and Kimber I have over $1500 tied up in these 3 pistols not including accessories like mags, pouches, holsters, etc.

Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#23]
thanks again for your replies, im waiting for my voucher from division to go purchase my new USP 40. i guess my sigs might get jealous but i think they can handle it, lol. everybody i have asked has gave the thumbs up to the USP line of pistols, so my mind is made up. thanks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
thanks again for your replies, im waiting for my voucher from division to go purchase my new USP 40. i guess my sigs might get jealous but i think they can handle it, lol. everybody i have asked has gave the thumbs up to the USP line of pistols, so my mind is made up. thanks.

Enjoy!

Let us know what you think of it once you get a chance to wring it out a bit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Similar situation on my end. Same results.

Several of the instructors at Blackwater are current/former S.E.A.Ls (like Herschel Davis) and I can definately say that the USP was the most common pistol found on their hips.

The other popular pistol there is the Glock, but that is mainly because the instructors from the Virginia Beach SWAT team carry the Glock as their issue weapon with an M3 on it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I have 3

A USP40 (my first gun)

USP45 Compact (my carry gun)

And a 45 TAC.

Great guns.  Never a problem with any of them. (Well, I do only have about 100 rounds thru the TAC. But I do have about 6000 rounds thru the 40)

Buy one, you will NOT regret it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#27]

They really do seem to be the best of the best.

Subjective. I've owned the .40 USP and the .40 226. They are both equal but different. The trigger on the Sig is better and the balance (for me anyway) was a lot better on the Sig. As for reliability, they both go bang every time. I used 165 grain american eagles at the range and never had a problem with either pistol ever. As for accuracy, I shoot the 226 better and my friend shoots the HK better (different balance and trigger.) If the HK feels good in your hand, buy it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top