Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2003 12:00:25 AM EDT
On Monday I went in and put cash down on a P22 after having admired them for the better part of a year. Talked to some shooters I see around here who all gave them glowing reviews. Last night when I came on it spooked me to see quite a few rants on the P22, but I went ahead and picked the gun up today anyhow after recieving the all clear from the local PD.

Holy smokin' Moses. A pistol that fits my hands, perfectly. Never thought I'd actually ever find a "comfortable" shooting iron. I took the P22 to a local range and fed it a mix of Winchester, Federal and CCI fodder and ended up burning through 1,000rnds in the space of a few hours on plates and various paper targets.

The gun experienced no operational problems and produced very good groups for a short barrel at up to 25m. Sights are great, controls are fantastic, and all in all I'm extrordinarily pleased with this little shooter. My only complaint is that A) it isnt select fire, EVERYONE needs a .22 cal Machine Pistol. and B) its not avaliable in heavier calibers. I dont know if Walther plans on a .32 or .380 cal version of the P22, but they aught to consider. I've shot the P99 and SW99 before and both of them have been just a tad too big, and pretty harsh for what they were in comparison to Glocks and USPs. I even prefer the Sigma .40 over the SW99 in 40. The P-22 is the perfect size CCW for my hands and for my concielment needs, and will replace my Tokarev for my "Casual Carry" weapon of choice with a belly full of CCI Stingers. Just wish I had the option of something with a little bit bigger punch.

Reb Grey
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 3:20:28 AM EDT
[#1]
That's good to know as I avoided them when they first came out.
But my reason was that on one the rear sight was crooked from a canted dovetail cut not because they were jammos.
I didn't even know how bad the early ones were until I read it here.
Now I must remind myself to avoid any used ones, no matter how tempting, as being someone elses rejects.
I'm glad Walther can finally live up to it's name now and that you have a good one, as it should be.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:22:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to pick one up this year for my 5 year old . It fits his hand real well also
My S/W 422 is a little big for him.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Anything bigger than a 1911 grip always is a little uncomfortable to me, I like to be able to close my fist around the grip for some reason...

like I said, wish they made a P22/380
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey I'm glad you like it.  I bought one a few months back and I truely love it.  I wanted a light "camping" gun. This little pistol far exceeded my expectations. I love the feel and fit. The only drawback that I've discovered about mine, it is a little ammo sensitive. The 550 round bricks I buy at Walmart tend to have a few non-fires. That's alright though. If I buy CCI Mini-Mags in the 100 rnd boxes , it functions without a hitch. So as long as I buy top quality ammo, it fires every time. I see other people slam this pistol, but I'm very happy with mine.  I bought the 3.5 inch barrel. The five inch seemed like just ornamental.
I get less than 1.5 in. groups everytime with mine. I also know that the Walther name means quality. I own one of their P99's in .40. It was the P22 that steered me toward the P99.

Link Posted: 7/26/2003 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#5]
How much for a standard p22?

CRC
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey CRC,
I purchased mine for $259 and some change.
Well worth it. It is a good ,light, easy to clean and a quality .22LR. I recommend it!!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I love mine, it balked a bit with subsonic Austrian ammo. It functions but is a little lazy ejecting. I think the suppressor will straighten that out. It is a great little gun!

Bob

Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine hasnt skipped a beat.  Its the only gun I own that would actually call cute
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 11:43:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I carried it tonight for the first time during my run. Wow, much more comfortable than any of my Sigmas or my Tokarev ;)

I'm going to attempt to find a die that will allow use of the standard thread adaptors and make my own fake can. I also need to read up on supressor regs. I know with the experience of using a bull barrel on my 10-22s that a good bit of thick steel and a muzzle break can quiet a .22LR down nearly as much as a proper can. Just have to make sure I'm not crossing into dangerous territory.

You know....in the right circumstances this little Walther could make one hell of a mall ninja pistol. A little supressor, a virticle foregrip from an AR15....I wonder if a Ruger MkII mag can be made to fit...tee hee :)

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Sold mine.   Bought it because  I wanted a small .22 plinker, & it fit my hand,  It was fussy about ammo (even more so than most .22's); it wasn't sufficiently accurate even for a plinker; and, most importantly, it would fire out of battery.  Not interested in looks over accuracy and safety.  Sold it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to hear that, I've had none of those problems with mine. I can even cycle sub-sonic 68-gr Agula through it, something my wife's MkII wont do.

As for accuracy....that too is interesting. I'm not much of a pistol shot, but my buddy that is a decent shooting-iron man had no problems with it tonight, especially against pop cans and glass bottles at 25yds.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw one at a local gunshop here that has a grey body and comes with the 3.5 and 5 inch barrel, he said it was a limited edition version...anyone know?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top