Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2001 6:22:59 AM EDT
Ok, I'm looking for a CCW. I shot the following yesterday...

Kahr MK9 - smallest; least accurate, but still *very* accurate; really nice trigger.

Beretta 9000S - a little larger than the Kahr; a bit more accurate than the Kahr; otherwise it just didn't "do it" for me <shrug>.

Beretta 92FS-C (Concealed Carry) - most accurate - I was punching one hole!; largest of the three; I really liked shooting this one. I think I would prefer the M-style though. The single stage trigger was the best, but the double-stage was horrible.

I'm leaning toward the Kahr (it would be awesome with a polymer frame), but I have a soft spot for the Beretta as my first handgun was an SB-C.

Anyone want to chime in with their thoughts/suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Bigsapper,

Well, I'm looking for a new "carry" pistol too.

I would like a .45, so I've looked at many.

The Wilson Combat in small carry frame is $2k but very nice.

The Kimber Ultra Carry CDP is very nice. Small frame 1911 also. Expensive too.

The Taurus PT145 is a 10shot .45 small, but I've heard various stories of problems with them.

I haven't looked at the Springfield Armory Hi-Cap small frame, but that is also a consideration.

The Kahr p40 is a nice small carry .40 S&W too and not very expensive.

If you want really small, the Beretta or Walther .380 is small and cool.

If you want to go inexpensive the Keltec or Makarov are very inexpensive and small.

If you want a revolver, you cannot beat the light, hammerless J-Frame smith in .357 or .38. Very light, no fun to shoot due to recoil, but hey, it's just to protect.

Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Out of the choices you mention, I'd take the Beretta 92. Nothing wrong with Kahrs. I just prefer a fullsize gun for carry. I dont mind the inconvience of trying to hide it. Choose the one you can shoot the best and are the most coomfortable with. If you cant hit what you are shooting at it wont matter 1 bit what gun you have.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
... If you cant hit what you are shooting at it wont matter 1 bit what gun you have.

Thanks. Good advice.

Coz_45-age-caliber...

Thanks for the heads up on the Wilson; I'll check it out. I've had my eye on the Kimber; I'm just not sure I want a .45. I shot a Glock 36 in my CCL class. Not bad, but the gap between the bottom of the mag well and the mag extension/grip kept pinching my pinkie. My brother has a Ruger KP97D. Not bad, just not my cup of tea.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Just curious, what did you not like about the 9000?  My larger size carry gun is an 8000 Cougar which I like quite well.  When I need something very small I carry a Kel-Tek p32.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#5]
bigsapper,

I just picked this up at lunch. LOVE IT.

Springfield Ultra Compact V10. Ported, Hogue wraparound grip, All steel...very nice....
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just curious, what did you not like about the 9000?  My larger size carry gun is an 8000 Cougar which I like quite well.  When I need something very small I carry a Kel-Tek p32.

The 9000 just didn't "feel" right. I have hands that are a bit on the small side. Although, I can get my hands around a double-stack, I prefer a slimmer handgrip. Also, there seemed to be a slight tick when I first would take up the trigger pull. Kinda took my concentration off my sight alignment/picture.
My brother has a p32. Not very accurate but kinda neat to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
bigsapper,

I just picked this up at lunch. LOVE IT.

Springfield Ultra Compact V10. Ported, Hogue wraparound grip, All steel...very nice....

Sweet! Hey, do live live in the DFW area? Did you get that from the Bullet trap?
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope, I live in Houston. Picked it up at Top Gun.
They have 10% off, SA, Kimber and Glocks and accessories for them.

Cheers
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nope, I live in Houston. Picked it up at Top Gun.
They have 10% off, SA, Kimber and Glocks and accessories for them.

Cheers

Top Gun is a nice shop, but they tend to be pretty proud of their merchandise.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#10]
bigsapper,
You should check out Para Ordnance web site.They have a new sigle stack 1911 called the companion. Presently, I think it`s only available in Stainless steel.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:30:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the help.

On the way home from work yesterday, I stopped and test fired a Kimber Compact. WW! That was one impressive handgun. Decision made. I'm now the proud pappa of a Kimber Compact CDP. I've already put two magazines through it! Gotta go stock up on some 45 ball now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top