Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2003 12:18:22 PM EDT
for a defensive pistol?

I've shot my uncle's 1911 and I can handle it enough for home defense.

So should I just stick with saving up for a .45 gun or consider something else caliber wise for home defense (40, 38, 9mm,44, ect)?

CRC
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
.45.  Anything else and you'll look like a wuss
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#2]
While I'm a big fan of the .45, you should buy whatever caliber you can shoot comfortably. If you buy too much gun it will become a chore to shoot and will rarely see the light of day. Any of the calibers you've listed would be good for home defense. The .44 might be a bit much though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Im 15 and for the past 3 years the only handgun I've shot besides a Ruger .22 is my Glock 30 in .45ACP. You wouldn't want me standing next to you at the range with your lil mouse gun would ya?

Jokes aside you should be fine with any of those calibers you choose. Just be comfortable with it. If you want to have 16 rounds get the 9mm and you still have good firepower. Practice alot so you can make good center mass shots everytime that way it won't matter as much what caliber ya got.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#4]
you should LEARN how to handle a .45.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
What ever it is you won't be able to stop at just one. ......Get a good .22  for practice and a 1911 for bigger practice
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
After you get into shooting handguns enough, you're not going to notice that big of a difference in controlability with the big 3 autopistol calibers (9mm,.40S&W, .45ACP).  It becomes more subtle to you.  9mm and .40 have a snappier feel, and .45 just a heavy push.  

Anyone that says .45 is hard to control might want to consider learning some new shooting techniques.  My oldest daughter when she was 12 could shoot my fullsize 1911 VERY well once she got used to it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Everyone who loves guns needs a high quality 22LR.  For me that’s a long gun and a handgun so chambered.

The main reason for this rule is 22LR are FUN!!!

The price of ammo(2or3 cents per round)alone allows a shooter enough practice time to become proficient at his hobby.

Every shooter needs a 45ACP, 100 years and counting..."The fight stopper" is always at the top of the list for a personal defense weapon.  It's the cartridge all others are compared to.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Understand that it is not just the caliber, it is also the gun when it comes to felt recoil. A full size 1911 will tame the recoil of a 45 quite a bit. Shooting the 45 in a small mouse gun is considerbly snappier. Still any caliber or gun you chose to become proficient with, you will learn to control.

That being said I often recommend a 9mm as a first gun. The ammo is much more inexpensive and you can shoot more. More trigger time is the only way to become profficient, You can get Winchester white box 100 round "value packs" at wallmart in 9mm for $10. A "value pack of .45 is $20. Typically a range sessin is 150-200 rounds. So you can shoot twice as much on the same budget.

Only hits count, and only good hits actually "stop" anything. Only way to "call your shots" is lots of trgger time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm only buying one pistol right now. Guns are too expensive IMHO and I'm in school. It took me a long time to get my AR (saving money) and with all these .50 caliber rifle bans I might want of those too............

Thanks for the replies.

CRC
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 5:32:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Springfield Mil-spec.  It is reasonable in cost compared to other quality guns.  The .45 gives you the stopping power for defense which allows for some error: if shot placement is too critical, I don';t consider it reliable enough for defense - and there's no guarantees with .45, either, just a better chance.  As far as .44, if you mean .44 special, it's about the same as .45acp.  But, if you mean .44 magnum, it's a very high probability of a one shot kill, but the flash and recoil is too much for most people to be ready for a follow-up shot.  In addition, there is the risk of over-penetration.  Let's also remember, defense is just that: in most jurisdictions the test is imminent threat to your life, or threat of serious bodily harm.  That means the attack is immediate, if not already underway.  No time for careful set-up of a shot, no aiming (you point rather than aim, anyway), no clever tricks.  The round has to stop, NOW, and be ready for a follow up for the (likely) event that the attacker is not on the floor, or has a friend.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:11:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm only buying one pistol right now. Guns are too expensive IMHO and I'm in school. CRC

if I could have just one it would be a .45
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Anyone that says .45 is hard to control might want to consider learning some new shooting techniques.

This couldn't be more true.  I've been shooting handguns for about 10-15 years, and at best was a mediocre shot.  Good enough for personal defense, but I wasn't gonna win any competitions.

A couple months ago I took the NRA Basic Pistol course at the local community college with my GF.  She's never been around guns and is/was afraid of them, so I figured this would be a good way to get her some exposure.  I think I learned almost as much as her.  My grip was terrible and my sighting (weak vs strong eye) was all wrong.  My shots have improved remarkably after applying a few of the fundamentals.

If you've never had any training/instruction other than maybe your uncle saying "do it this way", I'd highly recommend something similar to the NRA course.  Only cost me $100 ...well worth it.

If you're in college and money is an issue (was for me), get yourself a decent 9mm.  You'll probably save money up front, and as others have mentioned, they're (relatively) inexpensive to shoot.  Plus, with the right ammo, they're a competent self defense gun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#13]
If this is to be your first handgun, and even more so with money being an object, get a .22. A nice Ruger can be had new around here in the $200-300 range. Ammo is THE cheapest. Practice alot on the fundamentals. Front sight. Trigger control.
If you just have to have a center fire and money is still an object a CZ75 is $300-400. Very accurate right out of the box. 9mm ammo is effective and the least expensive.
If all your really worried about is home defense, get a Remington 870 shotgun. Most effective. Period. Gun and ammo both priced right too.
Let us know what you decide.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Tberg,

I have a .22 LR revolver and I have a shotgun.

I will check out the CZ.

CRC
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#15]
That is excellent that you already have a .22 and a shotgun.
Nothing wrong with .45's for sure, but you can pretty well double your costs (gun and ammo).
It took me several thousand rounds of purposeful practice with a handgun to even begin to get a clue. I hope you learn faster than I.
TommyB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top