Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2008 3:27:55 PM EDT
I am wanting to get an auto for the wife. She has a revolver but has trouble with the double action trigger pull, single action is no prblem but the bobbed hammer doesnt leave her much to get her thumb on and I am afraid its going to slip and fire the gun. She has small hands and the Glocks I have are too fat for her to get a comfortable grip on. We went to the range today and she shot a friends CZ 9mm. She did well with it but I dont like that it doesnt have a safety (for her. For me I couldnt care less). Plus my friend says finding mags is a bitch for it. So heres what I am looking for: 9mm with safety, smaller size grip, reliable and readily available, $700 or less. This will be for concealed carry and home defense. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am wanting to get an auto for the wife. She has a revolver but has trouble with the double action trigger pull, single action is no prblem but the bobbed hammer doesnt leave her much to get her thumb on and I am afraid its going to slip and fire the gun. She has small hands and the Glocks I have are too fat for her to get a comfortable grip on. We went to the range today and she shot a friends CZ 9mm. She did well with it but I dont like that it doesnt have a safety (for her. For me I couldnt care less). Plus my friend says finding mags is a bitch for it. So heres what I am looking for: 9mm with safety, smaller size grip, reliable and readily available, $700 or less. This will be for concealed carry and home defense. Thoughts?

What type of CZ was it? Most have safeties, only a few have decockers. There are many variants, 31 flavors if you will, something for everyone.

How many mags do you need? They are easy to find at gun shows BTW.

CZ-75 is a great handgun. My girlfriend and my CZ are inseparable.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#2]
9mm, w/ safety, small grips, reilable, etc...i'd say a Glock

if not, then my next suggestions would be the Browning Hi-power or CZ 75 series

others to consider: SA XDs (great choice imo for folks w/ small hands); SW M&P, Beretta Px4, HK P2000/sk are also other great contenders w/ smaller grip sizes

ETA: Single stacked Sigs and Khars are also great contenders

another thing you could consider w/ the glock, is that since the grip is too large, i'd consider getting a glock grip reduction job done on it (you can do it yourself, or have a smith that specializes in em to do it--Robar, AZresponse (i think), and maybe mr wendell at wendall custom tactical)

some recent topics for more ideas:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=33&t=51911
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=51389
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=50881
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=49966
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
If you've ruled out a Glock 19, I'd look at a Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm.  I love mine.  Excellent reliability / functionality.  17 rd mags.  It's SA/DA with safety / decocker.  As for hands, has 3 backstrap grips for adjustability.  I can buy them for $399 in Dallas.  I've never seen a bad review of them, and I've looked.

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Take her to a range that rents a large verity of guns and have her try them.

Mainly look for those that fit her hands well and have a good trigger for control.

Biggest problem for new handgun shooters is guns that don't fit and have terrible triggers or are hard to shoot. If she likes the gun then she is more likely to practice more.

S&W lady smith line is good but they have terrible triggers. Any compact model may serve her. Their new M&P may work or Walther model.

Para ordance my suit her in their lda trigger configuration and single stacked configuration.

Styer makes good small gripped gun. Saw one at the funshow today new for 379.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My wife is 5ft tall and therefore has tiny hands too. He 1st handgun was a G19. She's a little recoil sensative and had trouble with pre-shot tremble, as well as not putting enough weight being it to ensure reliable cycling. I eventually had her try my very done up G17 full size, which has a heavier Tungsten guide rod (and matching ISMI spring) and lighter 3.5 lb trigger, both from Top Glock. Problem solved. With the extra pistol weight and lighter trigger pull, she rips through 17 and 31 rounds mags like nothing, and with far better accuracy.

I guess a "part" of what I'm saying is that the reasonable grip size on the Glock 9mm's is maybe less of a problem than some think for small-handed women. Just a thought.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#6]
1911 in 9mm might be a good choice
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all. To clarify, my glocks are 10mm so a 17 may work but the lack of mechanical safety is a concern. The CZ she shot did have a decocker which then precipitated a long DA trigger pull. I called my buddy and the CZ was a model P01
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
browning Hi-power
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Since you want a safety how about a S&W 3913 Ladysmith or a CS9.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks all. To clarify, my glocks are 10mm so a 17 may work but the lack of mechanical safety is a concern. The CZ she shot did have a decocker which then precipitated a long DA trigger pull. I called my buddy and the CZ was a model P01

Look at the CZ-75 Compact. Same size, steel frame instead of aluminum, no rail, and a safety instead of just a decocker. DA/SA trigger but I've never fired my 75B from the double action, you carry it cocked and locked.

I like safeties too, I am OK with safety/decockers as in the Beretta, but I loathe decockers without safeties. That is why I do not own a P-01 even though it is a very nice weapon. You should be able to find a CZ-75 Compact in the $430-460 range NIB.

CZ-75 Compact

CZ P-01

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#11]
HK P2000 or P2000SK

My wife liked my P2000 but she ended up choosing a S&W M&P after handling different pistols at the gunshop.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife likes sig handguns, but she doesn't have a problem with the lack of a manual safety.  

Browning Hi-Powers have relativly small, comfortable grips and are quite accurate and light enough for a woman.  

CZs and many of their clones have frame or slide mounted safeties but can be too heavy for some women.  

A Beretta 92 vertec (slimmer grip frame) would be rarer but my wife has shot my 96(40) without trouble.  That is, if you can find one with a safety and not a decocker.  

A 1911 9mm would fit the bill but there aren't the selection of high quality mags as the 45 version and some models can be finnicky.

I think that some HK handguns have frame safeties too, but I'm not at all familiar with their line.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
CZs and many of their clones have frame or slide mounted safeties but can be too heavy for some women.  

My girlfriend is about 5'3" and has small hands. Of all the pistols she's fired, her favorites (centerfire) are my CZ 75 Compact and my CZ 83 in .380 ACP. CZ 83 recoil is a little snappy, blowback operated instead of recoil operated, but last time we were out she was shooting like a champ with it and loved it. She's also shot very well with my 75 Compact though too.

Definitely give both a chance.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:56:23 AM EDT
[#14]
A Glock 19, Smith & Wesson M&P9 or Springfield Armory XD-9 Service loaded with 147 grain ammo plus a holster, a bunch of mags, mag carriers and a lot of time training at your local range.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:30:22 AM EDT
[#15]
We just went through this with my girlfriend, she was down to the lady smith and a Glock 23.

She ended up with the 23 because she felt the lady smith was a little two thin. Once we get it to the range I'll let you know what she thinks.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:45:12 AM EDT
[#16]
S&W M&P or G19
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I would strongly recommend she check out a Hi-Power if she likes single actions with a thumb safety.  Great gun in all respects. - priced right at about $700 NIB

The CZ-75 compacts are another I would say she should check out.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#19]

beretta 84's are small, decent capacity, have a manual safety, and are soft-shooting, but they are only .380...

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I like the CZ's, but have you checked out the Sig P225 or a P6. They are single stack and fit the hand well. My wife loves it. Its also about the same size as the Sig Mosquito, this allows my wife to shoot the 22 for practice and move up to the 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I like the CZ's, but have you checked out the Sig P225 or a P6. They are single stack and fit the hand well. My wife loves it. Its also about the same size as the Sig Mosquito, this allows my wife to shoot the 22 for practice and move up to the 9mm.

You must have missed the part where the OP said he wanted a manual safety
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
1911 in 9mm might be a good choice

Or 1911 in .45.  I've found that most women prefer the low/slow recoil of a .45 to the snappier recoil of the smaller calibers.

My wife absolutely won't touch a Glock, says a safety on the trigger is the dumbest thing she's ever heard of. She's even suspicious of the XD because it lacks a thumb safety.
The only auto she's really comfortable carrying is a 1911.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#23]
CZ 82/82 are excellent picks.

Both can be carried safety off in DA for the first shot. And they have excellent smooth DA triggers. Or cocked with the safety on in SA mode.

I own both. For some strange reason I am actually more accurate with them in DA. My first shot is usually a bullseye.

Of all the Makerov caliber pistols, they have the most comfortable felt recoil. Their excellent grip shape is the key. Great for small hands too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I didn't read all the other responses, so this is probably a repeat.  I'd consider a SA 9mm EMP.  It's more than you want to spend (a lot more), but you'd only have to make the purchase once.

We're looking at this very pistol for my wife for many of the same reasons you mention.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#25]
#1 Biggest mistake I see is the guy picking out the gun for her.  
LET HER PICK.  Rent and let her try a bunch of options.

#2 I wouldn't recommend carry if she can't handle a gun safely which would negate the necessity of a manual safety.  That said, the revolver probably doesn't have a safety so why not a DA like an HK or Sig?  The HK has nice DAs but aren't as short as a Glock or XD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top