Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2003 11:03:29 AM EDT
Ok I know This should spark some debates, I am looking forward to buying a 1911 and I am not sure what one to buy so i am looking for the good and bad feedback on any 1911 you guys might have. I.E. Colt, Kimber, Para, S&W, Sprinfield.

Thanks For your Time
Nate Clark
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Les Baer. Go custom or don't go.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Naw, Ed Brown.

Nate, if you're talking a box stock non-customized gun, buy a Springfield Loaded and go about your business.  Kimbers had a good rep until they started adding those goofy ass firing pin safeties that lock up.  If you can find a good used pre-Series II gun, they are decent too.

If you're looking for a good base gun to customize down the road, Springfield Mil-spec or one of the newer Colt 1991s.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Naw, Ed Brown.

Nate, if you're talking a box stock non-customized gun, buy a Springfield Loaded and go about your business.  Kimbers had a good rep until they started adding those goofy ass firing pin safeties that lock up.  If you can find a good used pre-Series II gun, they are decent too.

If you're looking for a good base gun to customize down the road, Springfield Mil-spec or one of the newer Colt 1991s.

When did Kimber start adding the firing pin safty.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#4]
With the Series II models...I dont know the date they started, but the guns are clearly marked on the slide.

The problems with it binding have been hit and miss, but enough to cause me concern.  Well documented at www.1911forum.com.

The Marines just ordered Kimbers for their SOCOM Detachment, but specifically requested they be non-Series II.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Naw, Ed Brown.

At the risk of aiding & abetting a flame war, I agree with Lumpy. I have a Springfield lightweight Commander-size custom, built for me as an off-duty carry gun. The gun has been flawless since the break-in period. I trust it more than any handgun I own....
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#6]
i like the kimber CDP series.
a $800.00 CDP will hold it's own vs a
1500.00 Wilson combat or a $2300.00 Ed Brown.

two CDP pistols are a lot better than one Wilson.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Kimber Super Match and couldn't be happier. Very well made and super accurate.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I just received my first 1911A1 today. It is a Springfield Milspec. I bought it at Gunbroker.com for $420 for the parkerized version. It came really well finished without even the smallest imperfection that I could find. The barrel,frame and slide fit together great, not even the slightest amount of slack in any direction. I put 100 rounds through it of 230 grain FMJ rounds and it ran perfect, not even a hint of a problem. If you want to fix one up this seems like the way to go (which is what everybody told me on this sight) If I wasnt planning to fix it up I would go for the loaded version though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Let me clarify...I AM NOT BASHING KIMBER...

Id just avoid the Series II guns until they get the firing pin safety issues resolved beyond any doubt.  Kimber makes fine pistols.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with Lumpy! I bought a Kimber on reputation and was so dissapointed I traded it for a Springfeild!
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Well guys thanks for you input. Dose any one have any info on colts good or bad or has any one shot the s&w.

Thanks again Nate
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well guys thanks for you input. Dose any one have any info on colts good or bad or has any one shot the s&w.

Thanks again Nate

We have shot several S&W's and they have very heavy trigger pulls.  Functionaly they work fine.  

If you want whats probably the absalute best fighting sidearm, look at the Springfield Professional.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#13]
For the best bang for the buck I would go with the Valtro.
The Valtro guns are breatng the Les baers and Willsons in the reviews and are much cheaper. They are very back ordered at this point but they are worth the wait.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Springfield 1911A1 "Fully Loaded" in stainless.
IMHO unless you are going into competiton, you won't find a better or more accurate .45 for the money.  This one is well under $800. You can spend a thousand plus if you want to but, WHY? The Springfield website has them listed for $828.  Got mine for $659. You won't be sorry!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#15]
For the semi custom 1911's it's STI. It's around the $1000 range which is competive with the high end kimbers.

A true custom 1911 built for you by a true 1911 smith would be the BEST 1911.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll have to agree with Yar. STI makes a fine 1911...and a price tag to go along with it.

Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I've "heard" about problems with Kimbers, and I've talked to people who "know someone" who's had a problem with a Kimber, and I've "read about" people who've had a proble with Kimber, BUT, I have yet to personally talk to anybody who has ever had a problem with their Kimber.

Everybody I personally know that has owned, or does own a Kimber long enough to evaluate it.....loves it.

No flames just my experience.

Even if you did have a problem with the firing pin safety.....could you not just change out some parts and be rid of it?

What's the big deal?
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#18]
If one wants the best 1911 possible one is always better served by having a custom pistolsmith build him a gun to suit the specific customers needs. That way you get exactly what you want and exactly what you need. However, semi-custom shops like Ed Brown, Les Baer, and Wilson Combat often can give the user everything he needs at a moderate price and a minimal wait time. IMO production guns such as Kimbers, Colts, and Springfields (with the exception of the PRO Model) generally don’t come any where near to the products of semi-custom or custom makers.... no matter if it says “custom shop” on the slide or not.

With that said, if one wants the best 1911 produced today (without going to a custom pistolsmith) buy an Ed Brown. After that a Les Baer is a very close second followed by Wilson Combat. The Valtro is a pretty nice gun if you can get past the horribly ugly roll marks and the way too melted dehorn. With the exception of the Springfield Pro Model I don’t think any other major production house makes a 1911 that should even be considered if one is looking for the “best”, YMMV.    

Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I own 1911s from Brown, WC and Kimber.  The Kimber is their classic model and has over 10K rounds.  Kimber’s basic models are a good value.  The WC is a Protector, has seen 7500, and is my carry gun.  It is a fantastic pistol in terms of feel, reliability and accuracy.  Is it twice as good as the Kimber?  No, but it is significantly better IMHO.  The Brown is a Kobra (pictured) and is currently a safe queen (only 1500 rounds), possessing an absolutely gorgeous blued finish.  I believe the Brown is slightly better made than the WC.

Link Posted: 7/19/2003 2:13:34 AM EDT
[#20]
The Best 1911 is oe custom built for you, with your intended use in mind, having all the features you need, and none of the features you dont.

That means get a Springfield Milspec and a Brownell's catalog.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I think all of the suggestions have been fine 1911's.  Asking which 1911 you should buy is like asking which truck should I buy?  It all depends on what you're going to use it for. Same with your 1911. Match? Plinking? CCW?  Safe Queen?  Get my drift?  My thinking is why buy a $2000 gun for CCW when you can get one for about $610. Very reliable and look at the money you save!
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#22]
OT

If you are looking for the best .45 then it's a SIG P220...

Or if you insist on a 1911 a nice semicustom from Les Baer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm with Lumpy196....... a Brown Kobra Carry is at the top of my want list, and I have three Colts. A LW Commander, Series 70 National Match  and Series 80 Officders ACP, all of which are damn fine shooters.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Alan, that Kobra is BEAUTIFUL.  Soon, very soon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I have two high end Kimbers and one Wilson Combat 1911 handguns in my safe today.  The Kimbers hold their own as compared to the Wilson I own. The first is a Combat Gold and the second is a Gold Match Stainless Steel Kimber.

I also have two Kimbers in my safe that are not on the same level as the top shelf Kimbers and they are a Kimber "1999 Pro Carry Custom Shop weapon and a "2002 CDP Ultra Carry Custom Shop weapon.

The trigger pull is the most dramatic division between the two levels of performance.

A good 1911 is as fine a weapon as one can carry.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 5:09:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a Kimber Custom Eclipse II many rounds later no problems, Great Piece.  If you look hard enough someone will have had a problem with any gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top