Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2003 3:43:59 PM EDT
I found a walther p99 in .40 s&w for $499.00 at a local shop. the gun is supposedly used but never fired. there is no box, and only one mag. What is a fair price for it? It looks new, no wear or other obvious aesthetic problems.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#1]
NIB I paid $549 for my P99QA.  But without a box and with only one mag...   I dunno...

Is there a proof sheet with it?  Any of the original paperwork?  They are also supposed to come with the first cartridge that went through the gun, as well as 2 additional backtraps and 2 mags (total.)

As far as never had a round put through it, strip it and look at the barrel.  If the barrel shows any silver at all, it's been fired.  Mine started losing the finish there after the first 10 rounds.  It doesn't affect performance at all, it's just not as pretty to look at when you strip it.

BTW, to strip it, all you need to do is de-cock it, and pull down on both sides of the little catch right in front of the trigger.  Then the entire slide assembly slides right off.  Pop out the spring, and the barral will practically fall out.  Takes me about 4 seconds to field strip mine when I rush it.  Literally.

If not having a box and the 2nd mag isn't an issue, that's a  good price on that gun.  But personally, I would have them throw in another FACTORY mag, or take another $35 off.

As always, merely my 2 cents.

-D.

*** edited for correction of my inebriated spelling ***   ;-)
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#2]
The fact that there aren't any papers, manual, or other things that come with a new gun kinda makes me feel wierd about spending the money on it. I would almost rather spend the extra money to get it new, unless I can get him down about $50 or more on the price. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, $425 or so would be a much better deal, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I paid $569 for my P99 .40 with Titanium slide new. It seems odd that this particular one is without the box and all it's accessories, ie. backstraps,two mags,case,ect.  Makes me wonder what kind of handling it went through. Inspect it with a close eye.  I would expect the dealer to throw in another mag. or reduce the price.
[:\]
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#5]
at the price the dealer is giving me, I think I would have a better time and peace of mind by paying the $50-$60 more.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
You are missing the mag, the backstraps and the front sights plus the paper work. The mag is no big deal, but a 10 rd. mag. is still $35.

You could probably find the other parts if you needed them and the manual should be available. I'd say if you can't save at least $100 you may as well buy new.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I have seen new ones in SGN for $500. If you want this one tell him what the acc are that are missing, the cost to replae and the codt of the gun new and if he wants to sell it to knock another $100 cause it not only is missing stuff but is used.

I have a P99 in 40SW and its a great gun.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 5:07:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought one of the first P99's into the country and paid a premium for mine... think like $625.  Still, I think it is a great gun and worth the money... Even more so in the mid $500 range.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Ya wanna hear something that will really hurt? I got mine LNIB with 5 high caps for $500 Shipped, that like buying 5 mags and geting the gun for free! Divorce forced the sale. And if you can believe it the guy had it up on Sturmgewehr.com for 4 days and I was the only guy to even inquire about it!

SorryOciffer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top