Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2001 12:49:27 PM EDT
I've been thinking of picking up a p99, but am a little concerned about the ones that have S&W parts. If a particular gun has S&W contracted parts is it easy to tell? Proof-marking, S&W stamped on slide, barrel or frame. What do I look for?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, there's "S&W" stamped on the slide for the S&W version of this gun. Otherwise the frames are identical. I've shot the Walther version, pretty accurate little gun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 3:15:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I understand that the accessory rail on the S&W is a Weaver rail, where as the rail on the Walther is of their own design, accepting only attachments of their manufacture.

Remember: there is no reason to continue bashing S&W... the British company that compromised themselves has been sold, so they no longer benefit from any generated sales. The almost universal boycott seems to have worked, forcing the un-American interests out of the market. Good job, men!

BTW... check out this Walther link: www.waltherusa.net/p99.htm

FITTER out
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Remember: there is no reason to continue bashing S&W... the British company that compromised themselves has been sold, so they no longer benefit from any generated sales. The almost universal boycott seems to have worked, forcing the un-American interests out of the market. Good job, men!FITTER out

Except for the not-so-tiny fact that the board of directors are all still there. And S&W has not renounced nor walked away from the HUD Agreement. The boycott is still ON as far as I'm concerned as the agreement is still in place.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out this site:  www.geocities.com/jimc_07874/home.html  
He has a pretty good explanation of how you can tell.  From what I understand, Walther contracted S&W to make a few slides for them that were not the same quality as the Walther stuff.  

S&W makes their own version of the gun too, but check out the site above for tips on identifying the Walther guns with S&W parts.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah!...What BobCole said...Anway S&W could not produce decent 99,Walther had to halt their production for a while because the finished product was so out of spec!The NJ state police had rejected the S&W 99 because of so many malfunctions.
This just reaffirms my opinions about S&W and their autos!I can't blame them too much for not having the forsight to come up with a GOOD,NEW,WORKING designed auto of their own.BUT I CAN BLAME them for not be able to produce a working COPY of Glock and Walther!SAD....VERY SAD!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top