Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2003 3:52:22 PM EDT
Can the P22 be carried with a round in the chamber, hammer down, safety off? Is this safe in this pistol?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldnt...

Seems if you bump it hard enough...bang.  You'd be safer carrying it with the hammer back, safety off.  However...

If I had to carry it...hammer back, safety on.  Slide mounted safeties do suck.  If you carry it hammer back safety on, make sure you practice your draw.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know for sure but I think it's safe. If you look at the firing pin with the hammer back and the safety on, there's a piece of metal that's attached to the safety in between. If you flip the safety on and off, you can see it. But for an absolute answer, call the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I need to pay attention more to what I'm reading. I wouldn't have the safety OFF with a round in the chamber.

It makes me wonder if you hate the reverse safety as much as I do.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#4]
It has a fairly heavy DA, I wouldnt think it would too big of a problem. The springs in the hammer seem to wear to fast so carrying it cocked all the time increases your chances of failure to fire.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:48:54 AM EDT
[#5]
From what I can tell, it seems all the safety does is block the hammer. Can the hammer contact the firing pin when the safety is off? I'm just curious if this pistol can be carried like a traditional DA with the safety off and the first shot in the DA mode?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#6]
If I remember correctly, that is a safe condition. The D/A trigger pulls on these things suh-huck! It would take a protracted, definite pull to make that pull. Hammer down, saftey on, round chambered is plenty safe since there is a hammer block - there is no way to make the hammer strike the round short of a massive failure or impact.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:44:53 AM EDT
[#7]
OK--I actually broke down and read the owner's manual. It says the pistol does have a firing pin drop safety which will not allow the gun to fire unless the trigger is pulled. It also says to never carry the pistol with the safety off. I think it would be safe to carry hammer down with the safety off since it does have the firing pin safety.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
OK--I actually broke down and read the owner's manual.

Damn it! Don't you know the man's creed!  Never read the directions! Jseeesh, and all this work, and you go and read the directions!  And we were having such fun!
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#9]
R.T.F.M.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Go somewhere, load it, put the safety on, and pull the trigger....no bang.......I do this a lot......it won't go bang...the hammer can't even touch the pin....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top