Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2003 11:48:28 AM EDT
OK I'll admit it.  I carry one one of those plastic fantastics.  Thing is my 26 has resonably good accuracy personal protection.  It's lightweight and compact.  My 22 has good magazine capacity, lightweight, and as compact as the competitors "compact guns".  Any oh yes both are rustproof even here in Alabama.

Thing is I can hit better with a 1911 or my Beretta 92.  But I still end up packing my Glock.

Anyone else do this?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Same here w/a G27 and now all the KaBoom stories!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have to carry a Glock 23 for work. I shoot it ok, but I like my 1991 much better.

Don't get me wrong, the Glock is a good tool. But it sure doesn't have history like my 1911.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate the Glock trigger the most, but I would still carry it. It is lighter than my SIG.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Not the most fun or accurate. But it goes bang every time and hits what I'm aiming at. I like my CZ-75 more than my G-19 but the CZ is a little too big to carry. I would really rather be carring my AR but thats probably a little too big.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:21:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an early version Glock 19 with the NY-1 trigger.

It's ugly. The frame should have been built up slightly and rounded off in the front so it doesn't feel like a piece of lumber.

But..It has a 15 round magazine, it's light, it's virtually indestructible in 9mm, it's,  thinner through the grip than a Sig P225, and eats anything as long as they're not truncated cone cast lead reloads.

So, yeah, it's my second most carried weapon and most carried during colder months.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 5:16:43 AM EDT
[#7]
a glock pistol is nothing more that a combat gun...  it'll work everytime... it won't misfire... and it has a high capacity. I like the H&K USP but it's a little to big to carry and i'd hate to forget to flip the safety off if I ever have to use it... 1911's are pretty but they may misfire and also have an external safety. The only 2 guns i'd carry around for concealable protection are the XD and the glock.... but I chose to buy the Glock because of the vast array of accessories and high-caps
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Kaboom stories? uhh.. sorry I haven't heard. What is that about?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#9]
If you do not use reloads or lead bullets, and clean your barrel every now and then, you'll be fine.  The issue is the barrel of the Glock, which does not take kindly to lead buildup (over-pressurizing of the barrel).  I can't remember the exact name of the barrel type Glock uses.  Some say the unsupported chamber of .40 cal Glocks contributes to this, but again if you're not creating higher pressure in the barrel you shouldn't worry.  FWIW, the problem seems to be with Glock 22's and 23's as opposed to the 27, also everything on the internet about Glock KB's is anecdotal.  Follow the guidelines set by Glock, and there should be no worries.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I have yet to find a gun that does all the things I consider as important in a carry gun as well as the Glock 17 or 19. I find Sig's to be a bit more accurate, but they are heavier. The Ruger P series pistols are reliable but they are heavy and the earlier models sit in your hand like a brick. The 1911 has a history and are nice guns, but they are heavy and have a manual safety to have to manipulate under stress. The story goes on and on.

While the Glock is by no means special to me, nor are they pretty, nor do I especially like the direction the company has gone lately, I find the 17 and 19 the best pistols for my needs. They are accurate enough, super reliable, lightweight, have high visibility sights, are durable both in finish and mechanics and have a gazillion accessories made for them. Again, I can name several pistols that do certain things better than the Glock. But none of them offer all the features and performance I demand. Therefore the Glock 17 is what I usually carry now and I will do so until something else comes along I like better. So far nothing has. The Glock is just made the way I would build a practical pistol for carry and defensive purposes. Simple and reliable. Of course that's just me and for others it may not be suitable at all. But as many Glocks as there are out there, many other folks must share my same beliefs when it comes to pistols.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#11]
That would be me.

My Kimber .45s and my Sig 226 both shoot much better than my or my wifes' G23s, but mag interchangeability,utter reliability,and light weight make the Glocks our carry guns.

If concealment and weight were not issues, I would probably just carry my full-size Kimber on my hip and give my wife a nice thigh-ride holster for my Pro Carry.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't carry yet, but have a G23 for both me and the lady. Wanted a simple , reliable , powerful handgun for us to use as the defense pistols.

Now if I can only find a good website for quick open safes for under my desk.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry a Glock 26 and have become quite fond of it. Consistancy is the best thing about the trigger. As far as my favorite carry piece that would be the HK P7M8. I can't say enough about it. Not unlike you I also have a Beretta 92. I usually pack while camping as it is somewhat large.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I frequently carry a Glock 26.   I have several nice carry weapons, but my glock 26 has several advanteges compared to my Para C7 LDA and My Kimber Ultra Carry.  In practical use I find that the glock is more reliable, easier to shoot in stress situatiuons, is more economical to train with, and is an incredibly simple pistol to disassemble and clean.  I find that I shoot more in my little 9mm Glock, and since training is key to success in combat, the glock is IWB more than the others.  I can shoot a little better with my Para C7, but I can shoot alot more 9mm in the G26.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I haven't heard of any major problems either.  I have atleast a couple thousand rounds through all of my Glocks, 17, 22, and 26 with NO failures or malfunctions at all.

As far as not being accurate, I beg to differ there.  I have found the Glock to be as accurate as any other handgun I have carried.  Once you get it sighted in properly and get accustomed to the feel of it, they are accurate.  I always have a perfect qualifying score with my Glocks, but not my Beretta.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#16]
It's kind of funny that people think that an external safety or at least a grip safety are no good in a stress situation, and LEO's and others are shooting themselves getting their glocks in and out of their holsters, and even shooting their suspects accidentally in those stressful conditions......All those years the 1911's were used with no problems, and now all of a sudden safeties are no good...I think at least a grip safety should be mandatory on all pistols......I have a G26 9MM, but, wished it had the Springfield XD's grip safety.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you do not use reloads or lead bullets, and clean your barrel every now and then, you'll be fine.  The issue is the barrel of the Glock, which does not take kindly to lead buildup (over-pressurizing of the barrel).  I can't remember the exact name of the barrel type Glock uses.  Some say the unsupported chamber of .40 cal Glocks contributes to this, but again if you're not creating higher pressure in the barrel you shouldn't worry.  FWIW, the problem seems to be with Glock 22's and 23's as opposed to the 27, also everything on the internet about Glock KB's is anecdotal.  Follow the guidelines set by Glock, and there should be no worries.

there was the issue of the 40 cal hydroshok lookout for that stuff.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn!  I guess I better tell the guys on my team that we are switching to Glocks, 'cause we might forget to hit the safety.

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT ADVANTAGE A GLOCK OFFERS OVER A 1911.

Mag capacity is moot because you just carry more mags.  Weight is also a non issue with the right gear.

People stop reading gun rags.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I dunno, right now the things I like about my G17 are:
1. Simple operation
2. Simple disassembly
3. Relatively cheap price
4. The comfort gained from the knowledge that I have one of the most reliable handguns made

The only thing I don't like about the Glocks are the lightweight frames. I like a pistol that feels solid.

Sorry. I guess that because I like my Glock, I'm under the baleful influence of those slimy gun reviewers.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I dunno, right now the things I like about my G17 are:
1. Simple operation
2. Simple disassembly
3. Relatively cheap price
4. The comfort gained from the knowledge that I have one of the most reliable handguns made

The only thing I don't like about the Glocks are the lightweight frames. I like a pistol that feels solid.

Sorry. I guess that because I like my Glock, I'm under the baleful influence of those slimy gun reviewers.  

No the Glock is a fine sidearm.  But, when people give misinformation about any weapon I ask why.  Out of your list, only one is an advantage.  Number 3.

The problem is people do not stop and ask why.  They belive what they read and hear without ever thinking.  YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top