Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2003 8:18:01 AM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a .357 barrel for my G27 as a way to both avoid the KB issue and avoid taking a major hit if I try to Sell/Trade the glock.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge?  Should I just buy a Glock .357 barrel ot for for one of the more expensive ones like Bar-Sto or EFK Fire Dragon?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I might be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the 357 Glock barrels are more fully supported than any of the other barrels made by Glock. Make sure you have a newer frame as they are stronger than the older frames. Glock will only sell you a 357 barrel if you have a newer frame.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought a Glock 32 & it's quite the handful. I'd hate to think of trying to shoot it as a 27/33.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:52:57 AM EDT
[#3]
.357 Sig is indeed a handful. Too snappy for my tastes, I can't get split times that are anywhere near .40S&W or 45ACP. The KB issue has never been an issue for me. I use quality factory FMJ/JHP ammo only.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:05:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I found the 357 in the G27 too much.  Way too snappy.  I put a .40 barrel in mine.

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Not to poo poo this caliber, but I found it too loud, too flashy and to snappy for my tastes.
Not enough choices for ammo yet either, compared to the .40.
For the range, you could have fun with it though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#6]
All I shoot is the G32 & G33. With practice they both feel tame. I should note that my 33 sports a Pierce +1 mag extension and I feel this makes the gun shootable beyond contact distances.

The chamber is better supported than the forty by a hell of a big difference. I'll say 2/3 of the gap on the .40 chamber is filled in on the sig round.

My very limited side by side comparisons between a G27 & the 33 told me the recoil was the same, at least as I perceived it.

Never shoot in the dark but flash is negligible during sunrise/sunset when using either Winchester white box or Gold Dots. Lawman has a little more flash than these but not enough to matter, in my experience. I've also found Gold Dots in .357 Sig to be a few cents cheaper than .40 GD's every single time I've compared prices at Natchez

UMC's are flame throwers even in bright sunlight.

I consider all guns to be loud and the sig round is no exception. I use Howard Leigh MAX (NRR 33) foam earplugs and the noise disappears.

As you can tell I love these two guns and I'm sure that if you're looking at no more than a  conversion barrel you'll find it money well spent!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#7]
get the Glock 26 9mm, load it with CCI 124Gn (+P) Gold Dots.

When the AW ban sunsets put the new Glock factory +3 mag extensions on.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Try and see if you can find a pistol in .357 Sig to try first. You may find that you don't like the round. If you are using quality ammo in .40 you shouldn't have any KB problems. I have a G22 with over 10K through it and still no problems.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I only use good ammo, no reloads etc.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I like it. I shoot it out of a 229. I alos have a .40 barrel for this but 70% of the time I shoot .357Sig out of the gun. I would like more ammo choices.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry a G33 on my ankle at work and I love this little pistol! I will say that going through the qual corse, my trigger finger is numb afterwards. I love the cartridge for a small to midsize pistol, I think the MV is where it shines. I still opt for a .45 in a full sized pistol though.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Should i stick w/a glock barrel or an aftermarket?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Should i stick w/a glock barrel or an aftermarket?

Depends on what you want. An aftermarket barrel will allow you to shoot lead bulets. It also may be cheaper to buy. OTOH, an extra Glock barrel is a big plus should you ever sell the gun.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 12:54:25 AM EDT
[#14]
If I were to get a .357 barrel I would just go with a Bar-Sto. If you are moving to .357 to avoid KB's, the .357 seems to KB also. But the Bar-Sto barrel should help out to reduce the risk of this happening. The 9mm Glocks seem to be the most trouble free of all the Glock designs. I have found that with the Glock .40's (and perhaps the .357's as well) that lead reloads aren't the only cause for the KB problems. There are 3 factors at work here:

1. High pressure ammo
2. unsupported chambers
3. Glock's ability to fire when out of battery

It isn't any single one cause, but a combo of two or more of these taking place at once. And yes it can and has happened with brand new, quality factory ammo. Obviously a barrel subjected to many lead rounds without cleaning or improper handloads will only make matters worse though. Nearly any gun can have weird reactions when fed an extremely hot load far outside it's specs. But the Glock .40's just seem to be affected more all around than the other Glocks chambered for something with less pressure.

There have been several threads within the past few months over at tacticalforums.com addressing these very issues. If you wish you can search around in their Terminal Effects forum and the Ground Zero forum for the discussions. They were very informative and I hope they haven't been deleted (due to one particular smart-ass spouting off his mouth in what was otherwise a great thread).

But take a look at the 9mm and the .45 Glocks. You rarely if ever hear of a KB with one of those, it's always the .40 and in some cases the .357 as well. Both are high pressure rounds. Hmmmmmmmmm, I think I see a pattern here. That's why I stick to the 9mm Glocks. I recently traded my G22 to a G17 after realizing I just didn't wanna put the extra money into a Bar-Sto barrel. I haven't been disappointed in the least. I hope you find a solution that will be best for you and leave you only feeling good about your gun. I too have had concerns and with a primary defensive weapon, this is just something that has to be resolved. You must have complete faith in any weapon you are betting your life on.

-Charging Handle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top