Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2003 11:36:34 PM EDT
I just purchased a Springfield 1911A1 (Thanks for everybodys help) pistol and I should receive it soon. I plan on doing some upgrades to it but not all at once. What order would you do the upgrades in? Remembering that I don't want to do a upgrade that would interfere with a future upgrade. Would it make the most sence to start with a barrel? Would upgrades to make it more reliable make more sence to start with? Any help would be great. Also does anybody have someone that has done work for them that they would recommend? Thanks, Mike
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:29:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Barrel wise, I put my original two-piece back in.
I found it more than accurate enough, hence the Wilson and Centaur barrels reside in the "parts bin".
Best I can offer is shoot it as it comes first, then you can see what improvements it needs.
At least, don't "fix" it until ya get it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:06:36 AM EDT
[#2]
You just got the best advice.  Shoot it till it is broken in, 500 to 1,000 rounds.  Different bullet weights and different bullet styles to see what it likes and doesn't like then go from there.  Best change I ever made to a stock 1911A1 was a trigger job to 4.5lbs and lower and flare ejection port.  Gun shot better than I ever could.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I too have a mil-spec, bought it used. After shooting it for a while I replaced the crappy mil-surp sights, trigger & very crappy two-piece barrel.

Using cheap ammo it now shoots as good as a Gold Cup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top