Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/29/2007 10:30:58 PM EDT

This happened about 3 years ago in a heart of Atlanta in a little Bohemian hippie shopping area called Little 5 points. All of the stores there see strange unique items and I had a store that sold cool glow in the dark stuff with lasers and cool special effect lighting.

Anyway this also happened to be the drop off hub for the entire city of Atlanta for the homeless. So the homeless would hang out on fount of all of or stores and sleep there, get high there and of coerce fight there.

On one very busy cold night on a Saturday about 8:00PM or so the church came to feed the homeless and they started to fight over the food. One of the local homeless guys that hung around my store and never caused very much trouble started to get into a verbal confrontation with another homeless guy that I never saw there before, however these things happened allot and I never got involved - I figured they could fight these thing out for themselves and usually someone got a little bloody and then it stopped.

This time for some reason, when I herd the shouting I went out fount to see what was going on and I saw one of the homeless guys I knew arguing with another guy and I thought - alright here is another fight over something stupid. Well the guys got into it and started pushing each other around and then the guy I have not seen before started to walk away, however the homeless guy I knew was still mouthing off at the guy walking away.

That's when I herd the guy that was walking aways friend said he's got a knife - He's going to stab him  - he's going to stab him and then I saw the guy turn around and he had a knife in his hand raised up and he started to stab the homeless guy I knew.

Well lets back up just a minute. I had just moved to the area from a close state south of Georgia, any further south and we would be in Cuba. So I think you know where I am talking about. Growing up there I have seen a few bad things happen so when I turned 21 - the first thing I did was get a CWP and a Sig 226.

Well as time went on I always kept the CWP current and carried a few different hand guns as I grew up, Went from a Sig 226 to a Beretta 92F and then to a HK-UPS .40 and at the time of the incident a Glock 23. I like all of the pistols I have ever carried for different reasons, however the compact nature of the Glock and the light weight worked for me.

I had just bought a new in IWB holster because I hate to say, a few times when I was carrying - the Glock fell out of my pocket or where ever I was trying to conceal it onto the floor - once at a restaurant and that was bad, and one time when one of the homeless guys was trying to pan handle me (that happened everyday) I must say after that happened the homeless guy had more respect for me and kept his distance.

I always like to carry, but I don't want anyone to know -Well back to the story. As the other guy was in the process of stabbing the other homeless guy - the strangest thing happened to me that changed the way I think about carrying a weapon and what I would do if I ever had to use my weapon.

Something in my brain took over and started to pull my Glock on the guy stabbing the other homeless guy, who at this was on his back getting stabbed. The whole time I was screaming - " Get On The Ground " Over and over again as loud as I could and at the same time I was thinking to my self in my mind - WHAT IN THE F#$% ARE YOU DOING - I could not believe I had pulled my Glock in a crowed place with everyone running and screaming around me. I was surprised I was doing what I was doing - I was not even thinking - I was just doing - It was like watching a movie with me in it

Anyway the guy stabbing the other guy looked at me - looked disappointed, through the knife close to my feet and walked off - like I was pointing a BB gun at him. It was dark, so I was thinking HE MUST NOT HAVE KNOW I HAD A GLOCK 23 pointed at him or he should have pissed his pants - that was the first time I thought I wanted to start to carry a full size again - now I carry a 1911 .45 ACP

After it was over - no COPS came and everyone went back to their business. a few hours later I found out this guy just got out of prison for assault with a deadly weapon - the guy that got stabbed was OK - it was winter and he was waring heavy jacked to he got mostly cut up

The funny thing is the day after a few of the other business owners said to me - We herd what happened and we do not like to see people having guns. I said to them - what would you have wanted me to do if the guy was about to stab you daughter or a relative - they all said - Pull you GLOCK and stop them (how stupid can people be)

I guess the most amazing thing is you just don't know what you are capable of until SHTF - I impressed myself because I am nor really a confrontational type of person and when I needed to do something and save a life I did
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#2]
id have stayed clear of that one, majority of homeless of come across (in honolulu) were druggies and or bat shit crazy. interesting story though
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe he was dissappointed at your lack of a nickel plated sissy pistol?

(Then I looked at the post count)
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#4]
post count, check

join date, check

draw down story? check.

? check.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#5]
No cops came?  Can I be the first one to call BS?

I have been in a similar situation, cops were all over it in about 10 seconds.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:57:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
post count, check

join date, check

draw down story? check.

? check.

Yeah, I kinda thought it was bullshit too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:37:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
post count, check

join date, check

draw down story? check.

? check.

Yeah, I kinda thought it was bullshit too.

i knew this was coming....

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:38:57 AM EDT
[#8]
oh my
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:44:17 AM EDT
[#9]
IBTL
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

so have I and they never came
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:58:55 AM EDT
[#11]
This story was complete BS until I got here...

Quoted:

Anyway the guy stabbing the other guy looked at me - looked disappointed, through the knife close to my feet and walked off - like I was pointing a BB gun at him. It was dark, so I was thinking HE MUST NOT HAVE KNOW I HAD A GLOCK 23 pointed at him or he should have pissed his pants - that was the first time I thought I wanted to start to carry a full size again - now I carry a 1911 .45 ACP

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:46:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
After it was over - no COPS came and everyone went back to their business. a few hours later I found out this guy just got out of prison for assault with a deadly weapon - the guy that got stabbed was OK - it was winter and he was waring heavy jacked to he got mostly cut up

Thread Hi-Jack in progress...

This is for everybody, if you had been involved in this type of situation, and were legally CCWing, would you have called the cops when the situation de-escalated?

That was my first thought when I read the above statement. I was trying to think how I would have handeled it. First, not knowing for sure the nature of the fight between two homeless guys, I would have probably stayed out of the fight and just called the police when the stabbing started, but if for some reason I did go into hero mode, I am pretty sure I would have been Johnny on the spot calling the police after all was said and done to let them know what happened and that I had drawn on someone, figuring that someone else may have called the police and I really would not want them to come looking for me as being a party in a knife and gun fight. It seems that being proactive about this would save yourself from getting, as Chris Rock would say, "Your ass kicked by the police".

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:38:08 AM EDT
[#13]
For some reason I believe him.  But some call me gullible.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#14]
what really put up the B.S. flag for me was his grammar... most people old enough to carry have their grammar sorted out. i mean i know i don't pay attention when i'm writing a quick response or something but if i was telling a big story i'd have proof read it 6 times to make sure i didn't mess it up. that and i've hardly posted here (i'm more of an observer) and first thing i did when i saw the title was look at his post count and join date
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Does the guy need a lawyer?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:58:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Before I read the post. Let me go through the checklist:

New member. Check.
Low post count. Check.
Draw down story. Check.

BS? Quite probably.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:02:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Not just that no cops came, but if i witnessed a guy getting stabbed I would have called an ambulance and if people were everywhere like was posted, someone WOULD have
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1

I know that area and have spent a bit of time down there myself. There are ALWAYS cops in that area.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Knife and gun being waved around, and nobody called the police?

Homeless guy went to the ER with multiple stab wounds and nobody asked him any questions?  (does GA have a mandatory reporting law for physicians who treat knife and gunshot wounds?  Plenty of states do...)

Hmmm...
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#21]
There starting to come out of the woodwork pretty regular these days...
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Guys,

This really did happen. As far as the police in concerned there is a sub station around the corner from where my store was and the cops are there only usually in the day time. the place was patrolled by bicycle cops most of the time.

Also to clarify another detail - the crime and drugs that went on at the place was pretty ramped, however the cops seemed more interested in catching people J-walking across the street or giving me a parking ticket. I thought the cops were going to arrive at anytime. but they did not.

Also I had a CWP Permit from Florida and had just moved to Georgia and the permit said that is was Reciprocating so I thought I was good to go, however the fine print says (and I discovered this when applying for my Georgia's permit and was waiting for it to be processed and arrive) that if you live in Georgia you need a permit form there - so I was kinda of afraid the I might get into trouble with an out of state CWP even though it stated it was fine in Georgia. If I would not have had that kind of issue I would have called the cops myself - for just in case

You here everyday of people helping someone else and even save their lives and then get sued and screwed. You always here of people afraid to react and then get killed or people react and then get in trouble for doing the right thing. And from my experience from this, you don't really think, you just do - I still to this day can't believe I did what I did. I was all shaken up and nervous. My hands were shaking like a leaf. I put my gun in my drawer under the register and was waiting for the police to arrive - they never came and the place was packed with people that night - everyone was running for cover

Another thing is that the Little Five Point Association (that I was part of because I owned a store there) had to pay a security firm to patrol there are because of pan handling and all of the crime. I called the police on a bunch of drunk kids driving drunk all over the place and they never came. I called 2 times.

After the incident happened one of the security guards came in to my store (I knew this guy pretty good and he was a by the book kind of guy) and I told him what happened and he said I have to have three things to happen for me to pull a gun for self defense.  Life was in danger, a weapon was present and I thought I had no choice. - I even thought he was going to call the police -

The thing is I just reacted - I did not think - I saw what was going on and just pulled my gun. The worst thing about the incident is when it happened I could not get my gun out of the holster. I kept pulling and pulling on the gun until the holster came out of my pants with the gun still strapped in it and then using both hands I took my glock out - dropped everything I was holding on the ground and confronted the bad guy

Also My grammar does sucks because I went to school in Florida - I do my best. And the store I had in Little Five Points was called XENO13
and went out of business because of all of the crap that goes on down there at Little five Points - I have moved on to a much better business platform on the web called Phantom Dynamics - http://www.phantomdynamics.com  (for anyone that thinks this is a fake story - you can see the Phantom Dynamics is a trade mark of XENO13)

Also I wrote this as a reply to another thread about real life situations involving a gun, however because I am new to this forum - I listed it in the wrong place by mistake
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#24]
so i take it that you live in MT right now?

i wont argue or accuse you of saying that this didnt happen (there are some things that do make me doubt it, but its all possible)...but if this is a legit story, i'll say this thought:

you need to practice the basics--make your mind up now about these things, go back to proper drawing, etc

get a decent, dedicated, quality holster and carry rig--use it, learn it, practice with it; slow is smooth, smooth is fast
if your story is true, if you didnt "think", but just reacted, then the actual action of drawing your firearm should have been clean, clear, and unhindered

if you can, get proper training

it doesnt matter if you have a glock, 1911, or what; if the badguy you draw on, and the situation is bad enough that you HAD to draw (meaning you are already committed to possibily shooting that baduy), it doesnt matter if they see it and 'believe' that your firearm is real or not

carry the firearm that YOU are comfortable with, thats reliable to a T, and that you are best with and can hit with; dont carry a firearm based on its 'looks' or 'intimidation' or even 'recognizable'  factor--carry it as if its intended to be used as a tool of leathal force, not a scare factor

as to the situation itself (if it did happen), some things do need to be analyzed--a good time is before anything happens; you should decide IF and WHEN you should intervene in those situations if you are a CCWer...

on one hand, "all it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to stand by and do nothing" is very true; h/w, in todays' society, you do have to consider the personal, finiacial, and possibly legal ramifications for "not thinking"

its NOT your job or obligation to play police; sometimes, its best to just be a good witness and report the crime; other times, its imperative you do intervene--when, how, where, to what extent, and if is up to you

good luck, stay safe
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#25]
why do these stories always come with single digit post counts?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#26]
One time, like 30 years ago, I was walking around the corner of my house, and my brother pointed his cap gun at me, and said, "hands up, this is a stick up", and I just happened to be wearing my Roy Rogers rig at the time, with the nickle plated single action, and the tooled leather belt, so I did this quick draw, and said, "drop it, or I
'll drop you", but he just turned away and ran, its a good thing I had the Rogers special, because if I had had the Lone Ranger outfit, I don't think he woulda taken me serious.

The cops never did show up.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#27]
This situation made you want to go from a G23 to a "full sized" pistol (1911)?

Look at the facts: the G23 fires 13+1 potent .40 caliber rounds.  Do the math and it has twice the firepower that the 1911 offers.

I'd rather have a G19 in that situation than a 1911.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#28]
There is a simple way to figure out if this guy is lying.  Let's throw drown him in the lake.  If he dies then he wasn't a witch.  Oops, I mean his story is true.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:42:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
One time, like 30 years ago, I was walking around the corner of my house, and my brother pointed his cap gun at me, and said, "hands up, this is a stick up", and I just happened to be wearing my Roy Rogers rig at the time, with the nickle plated single action, and the tooled leather belt, so I did this quick draw, and said, "drop it, or I
'll drop you", but he just turned away and ran, its a good thing I had the Rogers special, because if I had had the Lone Ranger outfit, I don't think he woulda taken me serious.

To the OP:
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#30]
This one time at band camp........................................................
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like a 1911 commercial to me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Man,

I can't believe all of the grief this is getting about the cops not showing up. What good is posting anything on this forum, if no one believes it This just proves that the few jerks that make up stories ruin it for folks like me trying to tell a true story.

here are a few pictures of where it happened - in fount of my old store XENO 13 (http://http://http://http://http://http://click on the pictures for a bigger image)

Also that is why I carry a gun - The police are never going to be there when you will need one - Isn't that why allot of folks on this forum carry?

As far as the 1911 part - it was just a thought I had after the guy hardly looked scared when I had him in my sites. It was kinda dark and having a all black - compact pistol - I don't think he saw much - I don't know. I us-to mostly like the high- tech guns like the HK, Clock, Beretta and Sig. I have had them all and still have the HK and the GLOCK, however with all of the attention to the 1911 every time I turn around, and I always wanted one anyway - so I bought a Kimber Stainless TLE II - I have put about 300 - 400 rounds through it and I just really like the way it shot - so I also bought a Springfield MC Operator and a Springfield TRP Operator with the Bull Barrel - and so far no issues for any guns - they all shoot with no problems and I seem to shoot them easier.

I guess the thing is after something like that happens you start thinking about everything. I always thought if I pulled my gun on someone and was yelling at the top of my lungs to " Get On The GROUND" they would - not look at me like I interrupted his dinner on a Saturday night.

I just thought at that point, maybe he did not see much of the gun - I don't know
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Sorry about the images - I do not know how to add them
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#35]
XENO - thanks for the story.  I was the one that started the other thread looking for real-life stories and appreciate your story.  Don't mind all the comedians and Internet Experts here, seems like you can't post anything without someone having to be a wise guy or nit-pick over some minor point to prove how amazingly bright they are and how you must be a liar.  Anyone who doubts the cops didn't come - I lived in South Central L.A. and fired three shots in the air once (long time ago, to scare a burglar - this is before I knew what the hell I was doing but we NEVER had any break-ins after that!).  I called the cops, all the neighbors called the cops - AND NO COPS EVER CAME!  Life in the big city dudes - there were gunshots nearly EVERY night.  In XENO's example he DIDN'T fire the gun.

The more I think about it, the scarier it is carrying a gun.  I hope to hell I NEVER, EVER have to draw.

Again, thanks for your story.  And I agree with Alphaghost's post.

Oh - those photos of your store must be fakes done in Photoshop.  And since it's only your 3rd post you must be a big phony.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Regardless of the authenticity of the story I enjoyed it Good job on saving the guys life, I don't know many people who would've done the same in that type of situation.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
what really put up the B.S. flag for me was his grammar...

Says the guy who doesn't capitalize "I"
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Show me a picture of a stabbed homeless guy THEN I'll believe you...(just kidding)

I don't really care if your story is true. If it is, then good for you I always hear people say that they would never pull their weapon to save anyone but themselves or their own family. It's nice to hear of people who give a damn about others.

If your story is fake, then get a life....
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#39]

Look at the facts: the G23 fires 13+1 impotent .40 caliber rounds.  Do the math and it has less firepower that the 1911 offers.

I'd rather have a 1911 in that situation than a G19.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#40]
this is all anti Glock propaganda
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Borat,

Thanks!

I apologize for placing my story in a new thread (I guess that is what I did)

Also this was not meant to be a anti GLOCK thread by any means - I really like my Glock 23.
I have had it for about 8 years and have shoot about 1000 + rounds through it and never had any problems or malfunctions of any kind  - it is low maintenance. I keep it very clean - and ready to go, however I don't need to put oil on it every time I touch it - It goes bang ever time. I also think that a .40 caliber (as heavy as possible) is a pretty good compromise from a 9mm and a 45 ACP.

Back in the 80's Bowling Pin shooting was a big deal in Florida - I never competed, however I wanted to so I took a old bowling pin out in the woods to my favorite shooting spot - set up the bowling pin to practice shooting at it from about 15 - 20 Feet. I used a Sig P226 and 115 and 124 grain ball and hollow point bullets and every time I hit the bowling pin it didn't move much or I got it to wobble just a little bit  (Yes I hit it!) and some of the other guys with me used .45 and could knock it off of the table - I never tried a .40.

I think as most everyone in this forum, that shot placement is one of the most important aspects of shooting. I like all of my guns for many different reasons - I think if I had to have only 1 gun and was stuck on a desert island someplace I would want a GLOCK.  It just seems easer for me to shoot my 1911's
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Look at the facts: the G23 fires 13+1 impotent .40 caliber rounds.  Do the math and it has less firepower that the 1911 offers.

Ummm sorry but you are incorrect.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a preference thing, not right or wrong.  I have no problem with anyone using either one of them pistols for defense.  I don't know why people even go there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Tag for the drama
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I was CCWing and saw someone ON TOP of someone STABBING them multiple times in the back, I think I would end the situation there right?? I mean that guy is about to be killed ? They weren't playing around?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:32:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

That's some funny shit right there
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:34:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Good story.

Eta

So the low post count means it ain't true.  That's the majority of the arguement.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Good story, I don't care what someone thinks of how my G26 looks.  If I'm pointing it at someone, it's not to scare them, it's because my life or someone else's is in danger, and I intend to end the perpetrator's before that happens.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Blah blah blah, yak yak yak, pulled gun, everything was cool.  

I'm bored
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a preference thing, not right or wrong.  I have no problem with anyone using either one of them pistols for defense.  I don't know why people even go there.

Correct. I was refering to the .40 being impotent. The .40 can and does hit harder then the .45 in a lot of cases. I have many standard loadings in my reloading books that have the .40 with higher energy then the .45. Plus the G23 holds more rounds of bullets that hit as hard or harder then a 1911 holding 8 rounds of .45. SO if you do do the math the G23 is the superior weapon that has more firepower.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top