Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2007 9:30:14 AM EDT
I have read of certain restrictions in certain cities/states, but I live in North Dakota and there are no set laws that prohibit me from purchasing too many handguns. But I was wondering if anyone has been visited by any law enforcement officers to be followed up for purchasing too many guns at one time.

I have only bought 1 rifle and 2 pistols this month, and that shouldn't be a concern, but it just happen to be my birthday month so I spent a little more than usual.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Here in VA if you have your CCW you are exempt.  Seems like there is some other exceptions too, like collector type guns.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have read of certain restrictions in certain cities/states, but I live in North Dakota and there are no set laws that prohibit me from purchasing too many handguns. But I was wondering if anyone has been visited by any law enforcement officers to be followed up for purchasing too many guns at one time.

I have only bought 1 rifle and 2 pistols this month, and that shouldn't be a concern, but it just happen to be my birthday month so I spent a little more than usual.

if you will take a look outside, you will notice some black GMC SUVs parked outside.

there is a FED rule, if you purchase 2+ handguns in the same day, paperwork is suppose to be sent in.

also, unless youve dont something you shouldnt have, whats to worry?

.....there coming to get you.....
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#4]
We have done nothing wrong I guess.....my big concern is that my place is really messy and I really don't want to clean it until I move out in March
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#5]
in ky if 5 are bought within 2 weeks  the atf is contacted

i wonder what happens after then  
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Never heard of such rules. I am sure that ND is just as conservative as Idaho, man I love this state.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#7]
From the ATF website (www.atf.gov):

According to Title 18 U.S.C. § 923(g), an FFL must submit a "Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers," to the ATF if an individual purchases more than one handgun within a period of five consecutive business days.

This rule is a federal law and seems to only apply where an individual buys more than one handgun from the same FFL holder. Thus, if you go to a gunshow, and buy three handguns from three different FFLs, no reporting appears to be necessary. Note that Form 4473 does not ask if you have bought any other firearms in the previous five business days.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

According to Title 18 U.S.C. § 923(g), an FFL must submit a "Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers," to the ATF if an individual purchases more than one handgun within a period of five consecutive business days.

This rule is a federal law and seems to only apply where an individual buys more than one handgun from the same FFL holder. Thus, if you go to a gunshow, and buy three handguns from three different FFLs, no reporting appears to be necessary. Note that Form 4473 does not ask if you have bought any other firearms in the previous five business days.

Spot on.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Could not have said it better,my ffl dealer will ask me to wait till next week to buy the secound short gun if I want two of them.

He doesn't like the extra paper work of the multiple firearms form,and I don't need the extra red flag!

Bob
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:47:55 AM EDT
[#11]
>>If more than 1 handgun is purcased in 5 business days, the dealer must report/fax the sale to the ATF.<<

That's assuming they're bought from the same dealer.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:51:06 AM EDT
[#12]
On two occasions last month i bought 2 handguns from a dealer at a time...... if I had known this I would have bought them with a week apart...
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#13]
What would the worst case scenario if you did purchase more than one handgun within a short period of time?  So what the ATF knows it.  It isn't a crime, right?  Does it open you up to suspicions of what, being a straw buyer?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What would the worst case scenario if you did purchase more than one handgun within a short period of time?  So what the ATF knows it.  It isn't a crime, right?  Does it open you up to suspicions of what, being a straw buyer?

Who knows? Its up to BATFE what they do with the info. Don't bother filing a FOIA to find out either - such functions are generally exempt.  

If I had to guess, I'd think that BATFE is pretty busy with investigating all the gun crimes that have already happened in our cities. If you are wondering about the reports, I would imagine they are looking for either purchase "patterns" or they would start an investigation if one of the guns is either stolen, lost, or later reported used in a crime.  If all you did was buy 2 guns & still have them, then its no big deal.

Did you know that .gov also keeps track of financial transactions over $10,000? After 9/11 can you blame them? I don't.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The big deal with the Multiple Sale form is that it includes the make, model, and serial number of each gun you purchase, and it goes directly to the ATF.

The ATF receives no such information from your 4473 when a NICS check is called in. Making a multiple purchase gives them information that they would not otherwise have.

You don't think they store that information anywhere, do you?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#17]
What about if a dealer recieves for you?  Must he file a report with ATF then?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What about if a dealer recieves for you?  Must he file a report with ATF then?

It's not the dealer's acquisition that triggers anything, it is his disposition of the firearms. He can receive a truckload for you, but should only dispense them one at a time beyond the 5 business day reporting period if you and he do not want to do paperwork for multiple sales.  

BTW, that's for handguns only. He can transfer a hundred long guns to you on the same day with no reporting requirement.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#19]
It seems silly to me to limit the number of purchases. Say you want to start collecting the Colt Snake Line of revolvers. You walk into the local shop one day and there is the complete line that Colt made including the 45LC Anaconda. Is your gun dealer going to wait as you buy one at a time over the specified time limit. Sure would put a crimp in the ability to put together a collection.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
It seems silly to me to limit the number of purchases. Say you want to start collecting the Colt Snake Line of revolvers. You walk into the local shop one day and there is the complete line that Colt made including the 45LC Anaconda. Is your gun dealer going to wait as you buy one at a time over the specified time limit. Sure would put a crimp in the ability to put together a collection.

At the federal level, there is no limit on the number of handguns a person can buy at a single time. There is only a reporting requirement for the FFL. A lot of people don't like to be reported so they schedule their purchases accordingly.

In your scenario, if the dealer is agreeable, the buyer can pay for the complete line of Colt's and have them put in the safe in the back, then pick them up one at a time if being reported is bothersome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top