Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2007 4:29:25 PM EDT
Hi everyone.
Would an FN57 make a good home defense/carry pistol/urban SHTF companion?  I really want one but can't justify buying one until you respond.

BTW when I say home defense I mean as backup, my shotgun and AR will also be there.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Well you're gonna get the typical answers.  The pro 5.7 guys will say its a good gun the anti 5.7 guys will say its a POS.  The home defense guys will spout off about ballistics tests and how the 5.7 lacks "sufficient stopping power" and then suggest you use your AR (if theyre pro AR Home defense) or shotgun (if theyre pro shotty defense).  The 1911 guys will chime in with why .45 ACP is superior.  The 9mm gurus will talk about how 9mm with modern ammo is more then enough.  You'll get the guys posting pics saying "NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN" .  And you still won't have your answer.  Personally,  I love the 5.7.  Do I own one?  Nope.  Why?  Because I can not justify spending $800-$900 on it.  And I can't justify the cost of the ammo.  If I find one on the cheap I'll pick  it up.  If you do buy it for Home defense remember shot placement is critical.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not that it wouldn't work; however, it has no particular advantage over a quality 9mm high-cap pistol.  A Glock 17, for example, costs half the price, the ammo is half the price, and the gun/ammo combo is certainly more proven than the FiveSeven/5.7.  At this point, the FiveSeven is an interesting toy, and you should get one if you like it, but it I doubt it has any real advantage over a full size, quality 9mm.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#3]
This is only a tag in hopes of getting some good info other than hearing people blabber on about it being a mini .223.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:51:47 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want it by it, you don't need alot of people saying that it is god's gift to Home defense.

Buy it and use it as a back up far HD it will work FN makes good guns they are reliable and accurate.  The 5.7 round is a good round and as good as a 9mm for HD.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one - I got it a few months ago. It is my nightstand gun. I already had a PS90 carbine. And, now that I have a son, I wanted a gun that I need not worry about rounds penetrating a lot of interior walls. 5.7 ammo fragments well against hard objects. And, I keep the 197 round in the gun.

I can't say that I have taken sheetrock out to the range to see how many walls it would go thru. But, the 197 round will go thru less walls than a 9mm or 45 round probably would.

I also like the 20 round mag, and you can get a 30 round mag if ya want.

Be sure to come to the FN forum to find out more:

fnforum.net

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
I have one - I got it a few months ago. It is my nightstand gun. I already had a PS90 carbine. And, now that I have a son, I wanted a gun that I need not worry about rounds penetrating a lot of interior walls. 5.7 ammo fragments well against hard objects. And, I keep the 197 round in the gun.

What is your secret for holding 197 rounds in FiveSeven?!?!? I need this mod done!!!

(he means SS197SR ammo with V-Max core....just FYI if you are not familiar with 5.7)

Only reason I would buy a FiveSeven is because I own PS90 as well.....at least I can keep one type of ammo for both.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#7]
They're fun to shoot, you can empty 20 rounds very fast. I would rather spend the money on something else though.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#8]
It will be surperior to msot handgun rounds at barrier penetration.

I'd consider it higher if I had a P90 as a carbine.

Ammo isn't as common, but in SHTF you shouldn't be planning on outside supply (that is to say stock up now).

I think it isn't as bad as a mere 22LR as its detractors say, but it isn't as uber as its fans say.

I'd like to see some side by side comparison of 5.7mm with 9mm, 40 and 45 with both ball and JHP type rounds.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#9]
imo, "no"

for a HG, you are better served w/ the old standbys (.45acp, 9mm, .40sw, etc)--more ammo availability, selection of loads, *some could argue ballistics, etc

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:23:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey thanks for the info.  So the 5.7 load that person was talking about is good for not going through walls as easily?  I want either a .45ACP or 5.7, probably both eventually.  I will most likely buy a .45ACP before I ever consider this one, but I want a 5.7 really bad for some reason.  It looks purpose built and user friendly, and to me the only bad thing about it is the cost of ammo.  I also have no intention of getting a PS90, don't see any point.

I also have another question.  How much recoil does it have?  Is it like a 9mm?

Eta

Shipwreck

Nice info and pistol, I hate you.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:38:09 AM EDT
[#11]
A local police department recently dropped the 5.7 in favor of the 357 Sig.  They had a couple of shootings and decided it was ballistically insufficient.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
A local police department recently dropped the 5.7 in favor of the 357 Sig.  They had a couple of shootings and decided it was ballistically insufficient.

hat
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what police department in Georgia?  Any source?  Contact information?

The department was the Duluth PD.  I don't know if the guy I know there would be cool with me giving out his info, though.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#14]
It seems like this is going in the wrong direction from what most people want for home defense.  Usually you aren't looking for good barrier penetration when you buy a home defense gun, because you need to be concerned about innocent folks.  Correct me if I am wrong, but the whole design concept for this cartridge was to be able to defeat body armor in a small package.  It was designed with a specific use in mind, and that use was not anything like home defense.  If you think you will need to defeat body armor with your HD weapon, I would consider it, but that seems pretty unlikely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top