Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2007 10:52:38 AM EDT
 I'm buying a USP compact in .40 for CCW and primary handgun usage.

I've fired one before, liked it and am a big HK fan so the platform is fine.

What do I need to know about .40?  I have 2 9mms and 2 .45s, are there any glaring differences?

My carry load for my 9mm is 147gr federal JHP, my load for my .45 is 230 gr. starfire.

I was debating 150gr or 135 gr but I have not ruled out 180gr.

I have heard that the round can seat itself farther back in the case from repeated rechambering?  I keep track of the condition of my rounds and have no wish to carry a dud in the pipe or have a jam when I am surrounded by undead-communists.

Any big time .40 fans out there?  Crazy jello junkies?  All the help is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I like .40, having reloaded and shot a lot of it in competition and practice over the past few years.

Shoot enough of it and 9mm will feel really Short and Weak.

The only carry ammo I have is Winchester Ranger 180gr.  I mostly carry .45 so I'm not current on what the Ammo of the Week is for .40.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]
My 2 cents.
Full powered 40 in a compact gun is going to have a snappier recoil than 9 or 45. It's not too bad but it is noticable.
I have found that heavier bullets (180gr) recoil a bit less than lighter 155s. If you have access to a reloading press you can load some very soft 180gr. 40s for practice.

Ammo costs more than 9. Find a local reloader or take a look at Atlanta Arms.

Bullet setback is no worse with 40 than with 9mm or 45.

It's just a pistol cartridge. There's nothing particularly good or bad about it compared to 9 or 45.

Gringop
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What do I need to know about .40?  

Solution looking for a problem..................      
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOOOOOOOOO...

Not you too Bob?!  What's next?  The Glock is the greatest handgun ever made?

To the OP, .40 recoil, as others have mentioned is "snappier" than a similar sized 9mm or 45.  

I particulary like it in the USP compact as it get's me 12+1 capacity in a compact sized pistol without resorting to the girly 9mm.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I personally like the .40 round. I have a USPc in .40 and it handles great. As far as "snappier" than the other rounds, I haven't really noticed a big difference or a small difference for that matter. That might come down to your grip but don't quote me on that. I like 9mm too...but I don't own any .45's, yet. When the HK45C comes out, then I'll be able to say something about .45's
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Look HERE for "Best Choices for Self-Defense Ammunition"  Scroll down to .40 and choose your poison.

I'm not a .40 fan and agree with Bob's analysis FWIW.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Look HERE for "Best Choices for Self-Defense Ammunition"  Scroll down to .40 and choose your poison.

+1.  .40 sucks.

Try taking a class or shooting large volumes of ammunition and you will definitely be feeling it.  There is not nearly enough advantage to .40 cal when comparing it to 9mm to make me even consider using that round again.  9mm will do the job just fine.  If you need bigger, get .45.

9mm snaps.

45 torques.

Why get a pistol round that not only does both, but does both with more intensity?  You already have 9mm and .45.  .40 isn't going to do ANYTHING any better than either of those.  All it is going to do is create another type of ammunition for you to worry about locating and stocking.

If you're gonna get a .40 though, you picked one of the best platforms out there to get it on.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  .40 sucks.

Try taking a class or shooting large volumes of ammunition and you will definitely be feeling it.  There is not nearly enough advantage to .40 cal when comparing it to 9mm to make me even consider using that round again.  9mm will do the job just fine.  If you need bigger, get .45.

9mm snaps.

45 torques.

Why get a pistol round that not only does both, but does both with more intensity?  You already have 9mm and .45.  .40 isn't going to do ANYTHING any better than either of those.  All it is going to do is create another type of ammunition for you to worry about locating and stocking.

If you're gonna get a .40 though, you picked one of the best platforms out there to get it on.  

I just don't know what to say...

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#10]
i'm of the .45acp/9mm guys--if i want .40, i'll stick to my 10mm

nothing wrong w/ .40sw at all; recoil characteristics, handling, and higher pressures is what keeps me from em

if you run w/ .40sw, i'd suggest sticking w/ the 165gr (vs. 180, which does tend to perform a little better--very little), which imo is better optimized for the short .40

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]
.40 S&W has too much muzzle flip.........Stay with 9mm or go .45 ACP
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  .40 sucks.

9mm snaps.

45 torques.

How about... "yeah, you're right"
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I only buy .40.

well I like .22 for practice. and am thinking about a 10mm for fun. still 40 cal though.

honestly the recoil is not as bad as these litte girls try and say. it is noticibly harsher than 9mm though.

almost as powerful as .45. almost the capacity of the 9.

I dont trust 9mm. I am sure it works just fine. hell I am sure most anything works if put in the right place. I still want that extra punch when some crazy, drugged up asshole is breaking in my house/carjacking me.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:39:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I personally do not like the caliber. I have some pistols chambered in the cartridge but the recoil isn't painful harsh but it definitely takes some getting use to, especially if you are use to 9mm or .45. It is snappy with lots of muzzle flip, the smaller and lighter the pistol the worse it is.

As far as effectiveness, all pistol calibers pretty much suck and do so equally at least modern and common semi auto chamberings. The wound profile is about the same on all of them. With FMJ it means a lot more but iwth modern hollow point bullet designs they are all equal in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:53:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I personally like the .40 round. I have a USPc in .40 and it handles great. As far as "snappier" than the other rounds, I haven't really noticed a big difference or a small difference for that matter. That might come down to your grip but don't quote me on that. I like 9mm too...but I don't own any .45's, yet. When the HK45C comes out, then I'll be able to say something about .45's

I have shot all the major calibers back to back from the same platform (XDs) and the recoil between them is barely noticeable, if at all, IMHO.

The 40 is a good round. My round of choice is 165gr or 180gr of either Gold Dots or HSTs.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  .40 sucks.

9mm snaps.

45 torques.

How about... "yeah, you're right"

This is arfcom and that would be too easy.

Recoil is pretty subjective.  Snappy, but no more so than a +P 45.  

I like the .40 JHP round for its increased diameter (over 9mm)while offering better penetration through barriers like car doors (over 45).

Will it wear on you after an extended session?  If you're recoil sensitive and your rangeload consists of 300 rounds, then quite possibly yes.

But let's look for a moment at the OP's question.  He wants a USP compact, presumably for self-defense and CC.

Is he going to fire 300 rounds at an attacker/s? I'd guess not.

For his needs, I'd think the .40 is a sound choice (especially within the USP family of pistols, particularly in the USP compact for reasons already mentioned)

fwiw, I use my USPc .40 in IDPA.  We'll shoot over 100 rounds obviously rapid fire and I don't notice any extroardinary fatigue.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I've shot a USPc in .40 before and liked it.  

Recoil is not a problem!  I learned the way to deal with recoil is not to care!

I'll admit, the USP series does have a little more muzzle flip than some guns but I love them dearly and have learned to shoot them anyway.

I was just looking for information on the general characteristics of the round as I know little about it.

It honestly seems like the wave of the future though.

It's becoming the most common police round in the land and there are rumors that the mil. might go to it.  I heard that the big SOCOM pistol contract was upset because the men on the sharp end decided they liked ,40.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:13:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I swear that gun and ammo companies come up with these 'new and improved' calibers to keep us buying their stuff. I initally thought that .40 was going to be the 'thing'. 9mm capicity and .45 performance. My Hi Power holds 17 rounds, is easier to shoot, and is more accurate. 40 is loaded right up to it's max, and if you download it to make it more controlable you loose any advantage of going with that caliber. I just don't see any advantage over either 9mm or 45 ACP.

Quoted:
What do I need to know about .40?  I have 2 9mms and 2 .45s, are there any glaring differences?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I swear that gun and ammo companies come up with these 'new and improved' calibers to keep us buying their stuff. I initally thought that .40 was going to be the 'thing'. 9mm capicity and .45 performance. My Hi Power holds 17 rounds, is easier to shoot, and is more accurate. 40 is loaded right up to it's max, and if you download it to make it more controlable you loose any advantage of going with that caliber. I just don't see any advantage over either 9mm or 45 ACP.

You can't push 155, 165, or 180 grain pill from a 9mm.  You can with the 45, but you give up capacity in the pistol.

IMO, it's a great compromise with a drawback being a bit snappier recoil.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Ive carried in my 20+years of Packing
38spl
357mag
45acp
9mm
40sw

I can handle my sig P229 just fine!
I use 180gr loads
My sig P229 40 is highly accurate

recoil for me isnt a problem  
but since my range was my yard and I shoot every single day For years
that might of help out

Now I just wished I didnt move to SWFL, I have to drive 10 miles just to shoot

BTW  I use ranger 180

You might try CORBON DPX

If recoil is a problem then go 38spl +P in a S&W Kframe M19 or M13
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#21]
To quote Morpheus, "when you're ready, you won't need to"

Seriously, everyone seems to forget that a .357 125gr round moving at about 1,400 FPS is just about the all time king of knockdown. This is out of a 4" barrel. A 9mm loaded to the same velocity will give the same performence.

I agree that trying to download the .45 is not the way to go. Until recently there was no one manufacturing really hot 9mm that came close to the .357, which is how we got the .357 Sig. Today there is +P+ 9mm ammo that runs 1250 FPS out of a G26. Today's powders and bullet technology make just about anything more lethal. I still think that .40 started out, and still is a compromise.

Quoted:
You can't push 155, 165, or 180 grain pill from a 9mm.  You can with the 45, but you give up capacity in the pistol.

IMO, it's a great compromise with a drawback being a bit snappier recoil.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big +1  9mm or .45 for me.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOOOOOOOOO...

No, that's H&K.................    

I particulary like it in the USP compact as it get's me 12+1 capacity in a compact sized pistol without resorting to the girly 9mm.

Would you like to be shot with a "girly 9mm"?????    
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I still want that extra punch when some crazy, drugged up asshole is breaking in my house/carjacking me.

A) Almost only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades...........

B) If 9mm scares you, use a .45acp!    
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

honestly the recoil is not as bad as these litte girls try and say. it is noticibly harsher than 9mm though.

Little Girls!!!!............. F*CK Y*U
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Better ways of saying that in a tech forum, sir. Mods frown on this sort of thing, FWIW.......    
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#27]
This thread is the first time I've ever heard anyone bitch about recoil form a .40.....  I suppose it is kind of "snappy", but certainly not uncomfortable. Even after extended firing. IMO it's a good little round. Just as with anything else, put the rounds where they need to go and all will probably end well (for you!).
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I only buy .40.

well I like .22 for practice. and am thinking about a 10mm for fun. still 40 cal though.

I dont trust 9mm. I am sure it works just fine. hell I am sure most anything works if put in the right place. I still want that extra punch when some crazy, drugged up asshole is breaking in my house/carjacking me.

Spoken like someone who needs to take a pistol course.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Jesus....

There is nothing wrong with .40.  It works, the guns that shoot it work, and it kills people just fine.  I don't have one because of purely economic reasons.

If ANY standard auto handgun has too much recoil for you, you either need another gun or another hobby.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Jesus....

There is nothing wrong with .40. It works, the guns that shoot it work, and it kills people just fine. I don't have one because of purely economic reasons.

If ANY standard auto handgun has too much recoil for you, you either need another gun or another hobby.

What he said....  
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#31]
My next gun, which will be my carry gun, will very likely be a 40 (Glock 23).  I just don't understand all the comments on 40 being a "compromise" - so?  I want something stronger than a 9 and with more capacity than a 45 - so I guess that makes it the 40.

As far as recoil - NO BIG DEAL.  If a 9mm is no big deal then a 40 ain't either.  40 and 45 feel about the same to me.  Maybe, just maybe, I was quicker to get the sights back on in 45ACP.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Ive carried in my 20+years of Packing
38spl
357mag
45acp
9mm
40sw

I can handle my sig P229 just fine!
I use 180gr loads
My sig P229 40 is highly accurate

recoil for me isnt a problem  
but since my range was my yard and I shoot every single day For years
that might of help out

Now I just wished I didnt move to SWFL, I have to drive 10 miles just to shoot

BTW  I use ranger 180

You might try CORBON DPX

If recoil is a problem then go 38spl +P in a S&W Kframe M19 or M13

Your experience with the .40 seems to mirror mine.

Right now the only .40 that I own is a Sig P229. It is the most accurate semi-auto handgun in my house. And I have quite a few to choose from. It also is one of the best handling pistols I have. It's also fairly compact, but still has the full size gun feel, unlike some compact models.

As for recoil, I honestly, truly do not feel a bit more noticeable recoil with the .40 than I do with a Glock 19 shooting 9mm. I can say that the 1911's I have seem more uncomfortable to shoot than my P229. I use Winchester 180 gr ball for practice and Winchester Ranger 180 gr JHP for carry.

I can't say how this round feels as far as recoil from all the different guns. It seems I do recall .40 feeling a bit snappy when fired from a Glock 23 platform. But I really don't have any experience with this round from any other platforms. But I don't hesitate to carry my P229. I love that gun. I can put a lot of rounds through it and not experience any discomfort. Of course the Sig pistols have terrific grips, a different grip angle and weigh a little more than do Glocks. So this may explain why Sig owners seem to have no issue with the .40 round, while users of Glock 23's may.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOOOOOOOOO...

No, that's H&K.................    

Right On!

Would you like to be shot with a "girly 9mm"?????    

touche sir.  Somehow I knew that was coming

nope, but I don't want to be shot with a 22 either.  Hell, the thought of being shot with a pellet gun don't exactly tickle my pickle.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't think anyone was saying painful recoil but it is snappy and that turns a lot of people off of it. Takes lots of practice to be able get to where you do quick follow ups, at least for me and a number of people I know.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#35]
+ =

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Dude, my tech thread has fared worse than a pretty boy at Michael Jacksons.

Gotcha, .40 just handles like anything else.  I'm sure we'll be very happy together.

Long live HK, Cthulu for prez in 2008.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow. wound a little tight?

either way .40 IS a compromise round. thats why I like it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I only buy .40.

what do you mean?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I only buy .40.

+1.  I have fired over 1100 round through my G22 in less than 12 hours and my feet were more sore from standing all day than my hand was from shooting.  I've put 200+rounds in 4 hours trhough my G27, about the same results.  Subjectively, I feel .40 kicks less in my G22 than .45 in an all-steel GI Gov model, and I get double the rounds in the gun.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Subjectively, I feel .40 kicks less in my G22 than .45 in an all-steel GI Gov model,

Clearly, you would be the ONLY person in the world who could/would think this, IMO.........    
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't have a lot of experience with 9mm or 45, but I have lots of trigger time behind a 40.  I'll let some of the others here debate the whole 9 v 40 v 45.  Instead I can offer my experiences with the .40.

I carried a Beretta 96 for several years and the recoil didn't bother until I got to around the 300-400 round mark during range sessions.

I used to have a G22 but the snappy recoil bothered me when compared to the Beretta.  I ended up selling it.  I would like to try out a G35 though.

For a short time, I was using a USP Compact with LEM and found it uncomfortable to shoot.  Somehow, the trigger would rub my trigger finger until it was pretty raw.  After 50-75 rounds my finger would be raw and my hands would shake.  I hated the USP C.  I know many others that didn't have that problem, so I know it was mostly my grip.

My current weapons are a P2000 and P2000SK.  Both have the LEM. I don't know why, but I don't have the same problem as I did with the USP C.  I love my P2000s and find them very pleasant to shoot.  I've noticed that I actually shoot better with the SK with a full size mag than with the P2000.   There's really only a small difference in the length of the slide, but I would have thought the slightly longer sight radius would have the advantage.  

The ammo I mostly used was Remington, Federal, and Winchester Ranger, all in 155 gr JHP.  The Remington has noticeably more recoil than the others.  It also has a large 12" bright yellow ball of flash in low light.  This would be my last choice in ammo for carry.  The Federal and Winchester both have a small flash.  A dull orange flash about the size of a fist in low light.  Either the Federal or Winchester would do fine as carry ammo.

I also have been able to try Speer Golddot 165 gr and Wolf 180 gr.  The 165 gr was much more pleasant to shoot, but the Wolf 180 was extremely mild when compared to the rest and would make extended range sessions more productive.  

Good luck with your choice!

Edited for grammar.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am amazed...... I offer my honest opinion on .40 S&W to someone asking advice and some cocky know it all compares me to a little girl. And I am wound tight ???  If you want to play............ I am game !!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I only buy .40.

I totally agree with you Marksman14............
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Best proven man stoppers of the "older calibers:" .45 and .357 mag
Both have the capacity limitation, the 13 round .45 is often too big for CCW.

Best proven man stoppers of the later calibers: .40 and .357 SIG
Higher capacity is not a problem, most guns will shoot both with a barrel change, CCW not a problem.

9mm +p+ is close to 357 SIG.

Good ammo cost almost the same in any caliber.
Any good stopper has some recoil.

It's not the gun but the bullet that does the job.
Higher velocity in handgun ammo is hardly a factor, expansion and penetration is, as well as enough power to crush the bones.  

I know the stopping power is a subjective issue, but still it's the main reason why the firearms are needed.

So overall, .40 is on the higher end.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am amazed...... I offer my honest opinion on .40 S&W to someone asking advice and some cocky know it all compares me to a little girl. And I am wound tight ???  If you want to play............ I am game !!!

are you being serious?

damn dude dont be so sensitive, I was just saying the .40 recoil isnt that bad. chill out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:24:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Recoil isn't that bad.....Yep..............I do find the muzzle flip excessive to ME. I shot Glocks and they tame recoil to a degree due to the polymer grip. My .45 ACPs and 9mms allow for quicker follow up shots. A well placed well designed 9mm or 45 ACP bullet will be just as effective as a .40 S&W. I will gladly listen to others experiences though. Never too old to learn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top