Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2003 4:11:42 PM EDT
Hi, Fella's I'm new on the board, but not to shooting. I currently shoot IDPA and like defensive combat tactics. I am considering building a 1911 from scratch using RR or McCormic frame and slide, with whatever internal parts would be appropriate for my needs. Any comments or suggestions? Anyone done this? Thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The first thing you need to do is get a Brownells catalog. They have ALL major mfgrs in there so they don't play any favorites when it comes to brands.

As for who to get, if you stick with the Big Boys, you should be ok: Wilson, Brown, Baer, STI, etc. etc.

Brownells will allow you to compare price w/o having to go all over the place.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:59:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you really like metalworking, enjoy mechanical troubleshooting, and spending an inordinate amount of money on expensive tools, I'd suggest starting with a mil-spec version and customizing from there.

This allows you a head start on getting the gun functioning, and also lets you accumlate special tooling at your own pace.

Also, if you buy from Brownell's, you'll pay a lot more for the parts than you will for a complete pistol.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Using a "name" brand frame isn't a bad idea for the first one.  You might want to get one of the Kuhnhausen volumes on the 1911 (#2 is a bit more focused on the internals and their functions).  

it's a worthwhile experience but can be a bit aggravating.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#4]
If you access to some machinist tools you may want to consider this.  This is really starting from scratch.

www.tanneryshop.com
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Tannery Shop is out of 1911 frames of any sort at the moment.  No word as to when more will become available.  Since William the owner is currently on active duty in Kuwait, things are sort of on hold.

The only company producing 80% 1911 frames right now is www.ktordnance.com.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top