Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2003 4:43:50 AM EDT
I've narrowed my choices down to one of these 2 guns. I want either a 9mm or .40. Any thoughts on these 2 guns? Does one have better features than another?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the XD. It's definately the better bargain between the two at nearly half the price. I own both of those guns, I have to say that the XD is my favorite gun to shoot. There's something about that gun that makes it amazingly accurate for me. It's also been 100% reliable. For half the price you get a gun that is every bit as accurate and reliable as the P229. Don't forget about the lifetime warantee either.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I read somewhere that the XD had a problem with rusting. Is that true?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:09:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Let's see....

The XD is an unproven, off the beaten path, glock rip off that you probably will have a tough time finding a holster for.

On the other hand the sig is an overly complex, overpriced, light primer striking, turd.

Decisions, decisions!
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The sig is a turd?  I think not.  My 229 has worked flawlessy after the first day out with it (note to everyone, when you buy a used gun clean it before you take it to the range).  Anyway, my 229 has been utterly reliable.  They are pricey, but very nice guns.  If they were turds would the secret service use them?  I've found you get what you pay for when it comes to handguns and an expensive but nice piece such as a wilson, HK or Sig will probably out last you and happily serve your children long after you are pushing up daisies.

I have heard really good things about the XD, but I have never shot one.  I'd like to see how they are performing a few years down the road.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#5]

my XD has been nothing but reliable.

it is more accurate than me, and thats good enough.

the finish is not the best, and i had to keep it lightly coated in clp to keep it from rusting on the slide until i refinished it in norrell moly coat.

FWIW the humidity here is terrible and all my firearms rust if i dont keep after them.  

i love my xd.

dont be scared awayby the finish problems, i didnt HAVE to refinish it.  it isnt as bad as a lot of people say.

anyway, good luck with your decision, i was choosing between an XD and a Sig as well.  i went with the less expensive option and havent looked back.

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:09:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Sig P229 in .40 and I shoot it more accurately than any handgun I have ever had the chance to shoot. It is reliable and fits my hand well also. I really like it and feel it's one of the best investments I ever made.

I can't help you with the XD as I have never owned or shot one. I'll probably wait a while before buying one of these. They are kinda new and I want to give them time to start showing any problems that might be submerged beneath the surface. If the good reports keep coming for another year or so, I may break down and buy one these also.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:45:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I hear a lot about the xd being new and everyone wants to wait on it. How long has the HS 2000 been out (I think that's it)? It's supposed to be the same gun correct? If so are there any problems with that?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:38:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Let's see....

The XD is an unproven, off the beaten path, glock rip off that you probably will have a tough time finding a holster for.

On the other hand the sig is an overly complex, overpriced, light primer striking, turd.

Decisions, decisions!

Isn't great when someone, in this case markm, pulls out all the stops and demonstrates their ignorance on a particular subject in order to ridicule a poster with an honest question? Note that he didn't site any examples, just insulted two nice guns, then left...

Yes, the HS2000 has been around for quite some time. At one time, they apparantly had an extractor problem, but I believe that that was resolved before Springfield renamed them. More recently, some people have had the ejector break. Apparantly, this is largely due to people slamming modified Berretta mags into their guns. On mine, the factory mag just barely touches the extractor upon insertion. FWIW, I hear that the guns continues to function well even with a broken extractor.

Don't believe anyone who says that they are a Glock copy and are acctually serious. Sure, it's a Glock copy in that there is no manual safety, it's plastic, and it has a trigger safety. Internally, there is very little similarity. For me, the firing mechanism of the XD is far easier to understand than that of the Glock. Pull trigger. Sear drops as lever pushes firing pin block out of the way. Firing pin goes forward. Easy as that.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Let's see....

Decisions, decisions!

I'm sure markm is just being sarcastic.

But I am currently going through this same dilemma myself.  

The P229 is an awesome gun, just the right size, and arguably the best gun they make.  On the other hand, it is still a SIG with all those SIG quirks (good or bad).  I'm just not sure I am that much of a fan of the SIG system, to add a fourth SIG to my collection.

There are a lot of things I like about the XD, not the least of which is the ability to put a flashlight on it.  And it is about $100 cheaper than the P229 I'm looking at.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Go with the XD.  I love mine - it runs like a champ.  Since the finish seems to be a bit lacking for some people I would recommend getting a bi-tone.  That is what I did, and have had no problems with rust even though I'm on the Texas coast (horribly humid).
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I have two XDs and couldnt be happier with either of them. They both shoot great and as long as you keep the modified Beretta mags out of them you wont be breakin any ejectors.

BKVic
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:04:31 AM EDT
[#12]
having owned and shot both(the xd back when it was the hs2000) . this is a tough call. i personally love the SIG it is tough, reliable, accurate. that is why I (and many agencies both federal, state and local) carry it. I chose it over the berettas m9 with DOD Police.while the xd is a good gun, and cheaper less expensive i dontt see or hear of dept's issuing them. for my dollar, go for the SIG
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I have two XD's and planning on a third for my wife! Awsome guns with over 2500 rounds of reloads I've had 0 malfunctions! My neighbor also owns one with over 1500 rounds and 0 malfunctions! It's a great gun with a great price. The holsters are an issue but because their just now becoming popular. I've talked to the people at Galco and they told me that they have several holsters for the XD that their working on now, so needless to say get the XD!
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#14]
IMHO both are great guns. I Have a 229 and XD40 (just got the XD about 3 weeks ago). Right off the bat, the XD is an accurate handgun. For the price it is a nice gun to own. I will be honest, the finish is the only negative thing I have found so far about this gun. You should not have a problem finding any aftermarket equipment or accessories because this is basically a new improved HS2000.

Both companies have decent customer service and the parts have been proven.  Either choice you make, should be a good one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top