Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2003 4:14:43 AM EDT
I am concidering going in one of two directions. First is to buy a Kimber Gold Match which I found for $800 with extra houge wrap around grips and it only has 200 rounds through it. The other way is to buy a Springfield 1911A1 for $450 and put $350 into accurizing it. Which would be the better shooter? Which would be the better gun? Is $350 in accurizing going to be enough to make a difference? Will the Springfield with $350 in accurizing be missing many of the features that come with the Kimber? Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:44:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I would go with the Kimber.

I have a SA and a Kimber, I like the Kimber better. IMHO
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Go with the Kimber. I have two and love them. Why spend extra money getting the rougher gun up to standard when the Kimber will do anything that Springfiled will right out of the box?

Unless you plan on building a custom defense gun or competition gun, why go to the trouble.
And if you DO alter it, your warranty is gone. Kimber will honor theirs if something is amiss.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Kimber
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]
jennings,,oh i mean Kimber.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Let me be the lone voice of dissent. Buy a "loaded" Springfield for $100 or so more, get all the features, shoot it, and decide if it needs accurizing after you get used to it. I've dealt in a lot of handguns the last 15 years, and have found few people capable of shooting better than the new Springfields do out of the box.

I have five 1911's right now, all Springfields except for a 1918 vintage Colt, and am very happy with all. I have one customized by Novak's about 8-10 years back with a Wilson barrel, Kart bushing, etc, that is VERY accurate. I also have a more recent "loaded" that is nearly as accurate for a LOT less money.

This list seems to be Springfield bashers for the most part from what I've seen. When I wanted my first 1911 about 1985, Wayne Novak told me the best value was the Springfield, and I've never seen where he's steered me wrong.

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:18:10 AM EDT
[#6]
HI,

I have a Kimber and I not saying go with it because I have one. They are just great handguns and the company will stand behind it if there is a problem, which by the way I have not seen anything big, they are great. Kev
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd go with the Springfield.  I've owned both adn have had better luck with the Springfield in terms of reliability.  Granted it's a small sample...but better half wouldn't let me buy a hundred of each for statistical validation.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I own a SA but have shot many Kimbers.

First of all, you do NOT have to spend $350 on a SA. I had a Wilson NM installed in mine, $150 for the barrel & another $50-75 for fitting. Little SOB shoots as good as a Gold Cup now.

The stock SA barrels are two-piece units, way less than adequate, IMO. SA is the ONLY mfgr who uses them, IIRC.

On the flip side, if I were to buy a Kimber I'd be getting a bunch of stuff on it that I have NO use for.

Either way, you should end up with a decent gun.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Springfield.  None of that goofy-ass, works most of the time, Swartz firing-pin safety crap.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Springfield. You dont want the series II Kimbers MIM parts or firing pin safety. Unless you want to send your gun to New York to get it repaired everytime the MIM parts break. NY people are so pleasant on the phone and have such great customer service skills too...
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd go with the SA and shoot it plenty so you know that you can shoot it well before you start customizing it. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

The only two things I would get done to 1911, if it's not done to it already, is to get a beavertail grip safety (yeah, I got sissy hands) and proper sights.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'd go with the SA and shoot it plenty so you know that you can shoot it well before you start customizing it. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

The only two things I would get done to 1911, if it's not done to it already, is to get a beavertail grip safety (yeah, I got sissy hands) and proper sights.

I agree with this evaluation.  The SA Mil-spec also already has the flared and lowered ejection port, so that's a bonus.  Also it comes with functional (if not fancy) 3-dot sights that are a significant upgrade over the original 1911 sights.  Also, realize that if you put on a beavertail you will also need a new hammer, because the spur hammer won't work with extended beavertails.  

At any rate, chances are good that no further accurizing will be required.  I am using one of the newer SA stainless barrels and it is very accurate.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:48:39 AM EDT
[#13]
"On paper" the Kimber should be the better shooter, if you have the skills to tell them apart.
In other words, you may find the SA totally adequate as is and can always upgrade as time and need dictate.
I left my SA pretty much alone...that's unusual for me.
If it ain't broke, we'll fix it 'til it is.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't any Springfield experience, but I have had a Kimber. I had zero problems and it was flawless. When you hear things like the following, ask for examples:

Quoted:
Springfield. You dont want the series II Kimbers MIM parts or firing pin safety. Unless you want to send your gun to New York to get it repaired everytime the MIM parts break. NY people are so pleasant on the phone and have such great customer service skills too...

There are lots of myths out there. Believe the ones you want to, but always ask for examples. :)
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I haven't any Springfield experience, but I have had a Kimber. I had zero problems and it was flawless. When you hear things like the following, ask for examples:

Quoted:

There are lots of myths out there. Believe the ones you want to, but always ask for examples. :)

As requested:

www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=ac4d46357f3c5a63660c7e247d75ccb7&threadid=32983
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Kimber MIM grip safety broke in half in less than 600 rounds

www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=ac4d46357f3c5a63660c7e247d75ccb7&threadid=48385
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:03:07 AM EDT
[#19]
See, that's how you do it. Have any with pics too? ;)
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, let me join the pile-on.

Broken extractor on Stainless Ultra Carry:

www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?t=17389
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Given a new gun only (not an older Series I kimber) I would get a Springfield Loaded in carbon steel (not SS) and never look back. If you find that you can outshoot the barrel, have someone who knows how to do it right fit a Kart barrel and you can shoot with anyone.

I agree with Lumpy about the stupid safety!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top