Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2003 5:54:40 PM EDT
I was just given my grandfather's revolver.  As far as I know it is the only firearm in my family outside my own collection.  So I was thrilled to get it.  I would post pics but my camera is not working currently.  It has been in my dad's care for the last 30 years and has not been fired in that time and he has no memory of it ever being fired by his dad either.  
Unfortunately neither he nor I know anything about it.
It is in near 100% condition.  I don't know if its nickel plated or just stainless with pearl grips.  On top of the roughly 3" barrel is patents dated Feb 8, 1906, Sept 16, 1908, and Dec 28, 1914. and it is chambered in .32-20.  

Anyone have any ideas about what I have possession of?  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It's nickle plated and most likely a hand ejector model.

these might help   www.armchairgunshow.com/SWHE-info.html
www.sarcoinc.com/p103.html
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you SGB!!!!  That is it exactly.  Shorten the barrel about an inch and nickel it with pearl grips and that is it exactly.

Is this still an available caliber, or would I have to find a way to reload it?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry for the hijack, but...

My father has an old .32, S&W, nickel plated, pearl grips, but to unlock it you pull up on the rear sight and pull the barrel down. Its still in the box, wrapped in paper.

I didn't see any models like that in those pages. The only stamps on it I could find are the serial no.

Any ideas about that'n?

It has different patent dates on it, I will get some more info about it tomorrow and maybe some pics...

Jonathan
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I got my camera working.  This is it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#5]
dude thats pretty pimp!  Good job!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like some K-frame variant to me (S&W didn't assign model numbers until 1958). Beyond that, I don't know much.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Not to hijack this thread, but my grandfather used a similar pistol to protect his home for many, many years. It's good to see another one of these. I believe the one he had employed a 4 or 5 inch barrel but was otherwise very similar. I got to fire a few rounds through it as an older child and that little gun certainly had more zip than any .32 caliber pistol I ever shot. He seemed to prefer it to the .38 special revolver, which my grandmother favored! Hehe.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know an details about the .32-20 cartridge?  Is it available, does it hit about as hard as a .32 auto?  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sorry for the hijack, but...

My father has an old .32, S&W, nickel plated, pearl grips, but to unlock it you pull up on the rear sight and pull the barrel down. Its still in the box, wrapped in paper.

I didn't see any models like that in those pages. The only stamps on it I could find are the serial no.

Any ideas about that'n?

It has different patent dates on it, I will get some more info about it tomorrow and maybe some pics...

Jonathan

like this?  www.sarcoinc.com/p115.html

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
like this?  www.sarcoinc.com/p115.html

www.sarcoinc.com/images/p115a.jpg

Yes, actually. My father pulled it out the other night while we were talking, said his grandfather gave it to him. Saw this thread, figured I'd ask.

I'll try to get a pic or two tomorrow...

Thanks for the info!

Jonathan
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 4:21:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Guys be careful shooting these guns.As I remember there were two loadings, one for pistols/revolvers, one for rifles. LEAD for the pistol and jacketed for the rifles. the rifle loading had a bit more pressure
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Well I took the old S&W yesterday for its first range trip in at least 30 years.  I was shooting Winchester .32-20 lead rounds.  
This was an incredibly easy shooting round that was accurate as well.  Recoil is next to nothing.  Shooting at 7 yards my first shot was about 1/4 inch to the right of dead center, my second shot was dead on center and my third shot was just slightly lower.  All of my first 6 rounds could have been covered by a quarter.  I was thoroughly impressed not only by this particular firearm but this round in general.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top