Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2003 5:53:15 AM EDT

Kimber Gold Combat II

This is the .45 I'm getting. I'm tired of trying to make a decision....Glock...no......Wilson.....no......
Kimber......no........Glock.........no......
Wilson............no.......Para........no.......
Baer.......no.........Wilson.........no...........Glock.................

NO, I'm getting the Kimber
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Lookin' good!
Of course a little range report would be in order?
Congrats on the future family member!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#2]
You forgot Ed Brown.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You forgot Ed Brown.

That may be his next choice, not following alphabetical order gives one versatility.
An AMT would have been first and the Wilson would have to wait.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I just can't get excited about any Kimbers.  I don't particularly want any model they have.  Maybe it's that flowery looking gay rollmark on the slide, or perhaps their dizzying array of models.  Or it could be their firing pin block.

I'd say Brown, Baer, and Wilson, in that order.  Glock and Para are not even in the same sport, let alone ballpark.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I just can't get excited about any Kimbers.  I don't particularly want any model they have.  Maybe it's that flowery looking gay rollmark on the slide, or perhaps their dizzying array of models.  Or it could be their firing pin block.

I'd say Brown, Baer, and Wilson, in that order.  Glock and Para are not even in the same sport, let alone ballpark.

How much money do you make a year.

I don't make alot......yet. Just started my own business  3 years ago.

I REALLY want the Wilson Tactical Elite, but $3000 for a handgun is more than I want to spend right now.

The Kimber is going to cost me $1300, that's plenty.

To each his own. The Kimber Gold Combat II makes me happy till I can get the Wilson, that's all that matters.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You forgot Ed Brown.

And Les Baer!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#7]
How embarrassing is this? I never spent more than $450 on ANY .45 in my life.
And that includes a 1917 S&W revolver (LN), lots of 1911 Colts, 1911-A1s (including lots of WWII), a few 1991-A1s, an AMT Hardballer, Star PD's, a few 645's, a 4506 and several Springfields.
So even $1300 gives me sticker shock.
My $300 SA in park beat 72 other fellows the first week of a local match, proving to me, it may not always be the gun or how much you paid.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Baer.......no.........

I didn't forget Baer.............
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#9]
The Kimber is a great gun.  You'll love it.  Excellent choice, and I hope you enjoy your wise purchase.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#10]
The Combat Gold is one of if not Kimbers best effort in 1911's.  I purchase mine in 2000, it is a FINE weapon!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the vote's of confidence.

I think the Kimber is a good choice.

Of course there are always better choices, but the funds right now don't allow that choice. Also, I was thinking how much better am I going to shoot OR how much more reliability do you get for a $1000- $2000 difference in price.

It's been said here and I believe the person who said it....matches have been won with $500 1911's. I believe it's more in the shooters familiarity with his weapon and his ability to consistently point the weapon than it is in fit and finish of all the part's of his weapon. To a point.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#12]
can't go wrong with that, looks good too!

I want to get another 1911 but I'm torn between a Kimber or a Springfield.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you looked at the STI Trojan .45acp?

If you have not dropped the money on the Kimber yet, check it out.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Or it could be their firing pin block.

I hear this a lot, maybe I am not "old school", but why is this a bad thing?  The gun always goes bang when I pull the trigger, seems to be a transparent feature that adds safety.

Is it just because it's new that you don't like it??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BV:

I just picked up a CDP II Compact and love it.  Very nice gun, very nice.......
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#15]
If it ain't a Colt it's just a copy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If it ain't a Colt it's just a copy.

Yeah, sometimes when it IS a Colt, it's a copy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:00:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear this a lot, maybe I am not "old school", but why is this a bad thing?  The gun always goes bang when I pull the trigger, seems to be a transparent feature that adds safety.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BV:

I just picked up a CDP II Compact and love it.  Very nice gun, very nice.......

In some implementations it's supposed to add weight to the trigger pull by using the back of the trigger bow to actuate the safety... however my Para is a series 80 and the trigger is sweet...

Kimber doesn't use the series 80 design... but rather they use the grip safety to actuate the firing pin safety... so there's no impact on the trigger pull whatsoever...

Just my $.02...

STP.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kimbers make good 1911's, no doubt, it's just that they don't do anything for me.  For the $1300 I'd rather have a Baer or a Valtro.

As for the Series II firing pin block, the following thread is a good explanation of why I'm wary of it.

www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?t=9865&highlight=kimber

Basically something else to break.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#19]
OK, knowing nothing else about the gun -- except there was a broken piece -- doesn't tell me much.

Was the guy running max loads?  Accidently use a proof load?  Miss read his "recipe" for his pet load?  Dropped the gun?  Maintenance?  Round count?

Sounds like 90% or more people have had -0- problems.

I'm not even a Kimber fan, per se, just happen to like my new CDPII and didn't even think twice about the firing pin block.

Hell, the Glocks are KB'ing all over the place with no rhyme or reason, Springfield SS models are cracking slides...I think gun failures are to be expected.

The Kimber is a backup to my USP40, which is a backup to my Mossie 590 so, I've got it covered...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hell, the Glocks are KB'ing all over the place with no rhyme or reason, Springfield SS models are cracking slides...I think gun failures are to be expected.

Well, much of what you are paying for on the "semi-custom" guns is a guarantee of reliability, as much as humanly possible anyway.  I just prefer not to have a metal-injection molded firing pin block of proprietary design in my "ultra reliable" $1500 1911.  Especially when it's an answer to a problem whose very existence is hotly debated.

Maybe this is an oversubscription to the KISS principle, or maybe I am something of a 1911 purist, whichever.  Not that it matters, you of course are free to buy what you want.

For what it's worth, my "go-to gun" is currently an 80 series Commander, lightly customized, but with firing pin block intact.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I have been hearing of Kimber MIM problems again, just the other day. This is new ones that have just recently (in the last month) been sold.

FWIW I own a Kimber Compact Stainless, and have no problems with it, but I am replacing the MIM parts as funds allow, which means nothing at the moment.

If you are still going with the kimber, I would shop around, the price seems a little high, like MSRP.

dave
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#22]
MSRP on the Kimber Gold Combat II is $1695.

I thought $1300 was a good deal for just a quoted price, I haven't even talked to the owner of the shop yet.

I'd probably bring in $1200 cash in hundred dollar bills, he'd take it.

www.ableammo.com/mall/guns_pistol_kimber_custom_shop_gold_combat.asp

I just looked and looked and looked online for Kimber prices on this same gun. Best price I saw was $1389..........
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I still say go for the Brown.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#24]
BVM,

That's one of the better choices you could have made.  With 1911's, there's no right or wrong answer, so long as you're confident you're getting a quality piece.  That being said, it leaves the door open to MANY possible choices.  Never having shot/owned a 1911, I decided my 1st would be the SA 1911 A1 Mil-Spec.  I found it on sale for $399.  SA is a great company, great name, and a reliable gun.  I've nothing but good things to say about my 1911.  

My NEXT 1911, will, however, run me something in the price range you're looking at, and might possibly be the same piece.  Good choice.  

Don't forget to give us a full report when you start breaking her in!!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#25]
jethead,

I think you're gonna love the Kimber.  I've never had a Kimber, but I've held a couple, and popped a few rounds out of a friend's father-in-law's.  Very nice.  

I am an SA believer, but respect the Kimbers.  Hell, as long as it's a 1911, I love it!  

Definitely let us know how you like it.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:31:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I think you have made an excellent choice. While some of the others mentioned might be (very) slightly better guns, they are full on customs. I personally do not believe that you can buy a better factory made 1911 pistol than a Kimber.

I own 2 and am very, very happy with them. For what it's worth I am sure that I will buy another. I mean think of it this way... is a Wilson (or Baer or Brown or whatever) really TWICE as good as that Kimber? I doubt it.

If I wanted a full on competition gun then I might consider one of them, but then again, most of those guns are being made on Caspian frames.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top