Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2003 2:03:54 PM EDT
Sunday, June 22

Hello Governor Pawlenty:

I wanted to comment on the "NEW" concealed carry law in Minnesota.  First, I would like to mention that I HIGHLY agree with this law.  Thank you for signing the bill to allow law-abiding citizens like myself to obtain a permit.
      I have some concerns however as to how the sheriff's departments throughout the metro area are handling the applications.  Through websites and message boards, I'm learning that the sheriff's of Hennepin and Ramsey County have not granted or mailed ANY permits to date.  I surely hope that the information I'm reading is incorrect, and they are not stalling in hopes that the law will be overturned.  I understand that they have 30 days to either accept or deny permits, but I'm being told that county sheriff's plan to stall and draw the process out to 30 business days.  Is that legal?
      A second concern.  The Mall of America posted "NO GUNS" signs on May 28th at all entrances.  I've read the concealed carry law, and it appears that it's illegal for the MOA to post these signs.  The MOA is considered public property, and my understanding is that each business would have to post a sign rather than generic signs posted at all entrances.  Do we really believe that criminals will leave their weapons in the car?  If it's illegal, surely the criminals won't carry guns.  Why do we insist that citizens of Minnesota abide by the law, but yet we allow judges, politicians, and local sheriff's to break the law and MOLD them into their favor?  Reading history books tell me that that's a road we don't want to go down.
    I see the "NO GUNS" signs to be nothing more than a political statement.  Thankfully I've only encountered one sign as of today.  Not here in the Twin Cities, but at North Country Hospital in Bemidji, Minnesota.  The antigun fear mongers should be reminded that criminals will always carry a gun with or without a permit.  Isn't that why they're called criminals?  So why can't I defend myself and my family?  Texas and Florida statistics prove that law-abiding citizens with handguns do not commit crimes.  Statistics also show that more police officers misuse their weapons more often than permit holders.  Should we take away their weapons too?  The media has convinced the majority of the Minnesota public that permit holders will run through the streets shooting innocent people.  It will be pure chaos!  The truth should be told on a more regular basis.  Between 1 - 2.5 MILLION people use a firearm to protect themselves each year.  Why doesn't the liberal biased media report such statistics?  The democrats and antigun fear mongers have the right idea ... lets only allow criminals to have guns, it would be a much safer world.  Do you think if they had a family member murdered or raped they would change their stance?
      I'm a thirty-one year old male with no criminal record, have never been pulled over by police, no mental health issues, and no drug or alcohol dependency.  When I applied for my permit on May 28th, I also gave the sheriff a copy of my purchase permit that allows me to buy handguns.  I wish someone would explain to me why the process for a "clear-cut" case should take so long?
      I'll hope that you'll do what you can to ensure that the laws regarding concealed carry are followed as stated by the state of Minnesota.  I voted for you Mr. Pawlenty, and I've been really impressed with your work.  A big thumbs-up to you!

Forever a Conservative;

Tom
Brooklyn Park, MN
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:07:54 AM EDT
[#1]
This is an excellent letter.I enjoyed reading it.Please post any replies that the Governor sends to you.Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top