Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2003 1:50:38 PM EDT
Has anyone had a chance to play with one of these outside of a gun shop? The prices are certainly attractive (slightly over $300), even though there are no pre-ban magazines.

I don't want to hear any of this horseshit about plastic pistols, "buy a USP," how "it's just like a Glock," or how they taste "just like chicken." Save it. I only want to know if anyone has actually had any range time with one and what your experience was.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody, huh? Out of the millions and millions of internet surfers, there's not one person on this board who's shot an FN Forty-Nine?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Jim_Dandy,

Just like you, I have had a bit of an interest in the pistols for some time. But I am in the same boat you are...nobody I have ever met seems to own one, know someone who owns one, nor have shot one. It's like the gun doesn't even exist! I guess we will have to try to track one down and buy it and try it for ourselves. You would think that a company with name recognition like FN would be more popular. I notice CDNN usually has these pistols in stock, so obviously someone is buying them. I just wish someone would speak out about them and give us a rundown.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:28:41 AM EDT
[#3]
When I bought my Hi Power a few months back, the guy in the gun shop told me that they had been selling a few of the Forty Nines (in both calibers, I guess) and that the reports had been favorable thus far. I'll see.

On an interesting note, I noticed that Browning briefly marketed these pistols.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:41:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I've shot my cousins FN-49 and was not impressed
at all with the trigger. It's not even like a bad revolver trigger,its worse.
It wasn't bad in the accuracy department and the sights are pretty decent as well.
It's also pretty reliable according to my cousin.
The FN is not bad looking either.
I owned a P95 Ruger and I wouldn't take an FN-49
over it.
I think the Rugers(plastic framed) and FN are kinda in the same boat,because their not the "IN" pistol to own right now.
My cousin now has a Sig 226 and the Sig blows the FN away,NO comparison really.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:07:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Finally!!! Other than the trigger, you thought it was a pretty good pistol? What caliber was it and did your cousin like it well enough to keep it?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Last time he was out(about 3wks ago) he still had it,but with the Sig I think he's going to sell the FN.
It is a .40 cal. S.S.(like the one you have pictured).
It's a good pistol other than the trigger,but thats a very big draw back to me.
Especially since its a bouble action only,you can't even draw the hammer back and shoot single action like a DA/SA.
I prefer single action pistols. DAO makes sense
for a carry/defense pistol, but not for range/target shooting IMHO.
Also Hi-cap mags may  be hard to get($$) and if you did find them they would most likely have to be aftermarket unless your a police officer,etc.
If I were buying in this price range I would go with a Ruger P97 .45 DA/SA.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Well the thing is that it look ok from the right side and it looks ungly from the left side.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#9]
That thing looks just like a glock, you should buy a USP instead.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Jim_Dandy, have I got Horse Shit for you! I have owned a Fn 49 in 40 S&W since 1/28/2000. I gave $430 for it and I admit it isn't my favorite weapon. It is combat accurate, feels good in my hand, and has never bobbled. Yes, the trigger bothers me that much. I kept shooting it hoping the trigger would get better with use but it hasn't. I called FN and they said they would look at the trigger but I have been too lazy to send it. My opinion is my FN 49 would be a perfect car gun as I wouldn't cry if it was gone. Regards, Richard:D
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't have a FN Forty-Nine pistol but did have a very nice FN49 Venezualian model in 7x57mm.  Great battle rifle.

De Oppresso Liber
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top