Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2003 2:45:36 PM EDT
Hey all, the problem is that I tend to wear shorts and t-shirts for most of the year and a lot of the shorts have a drawstring and no belt loops.
I am interested in looking at other types of CCW options like **cough** fanny packs **cough** or something similar.
What other options are there for carry other than a belt holster in these types of situations ??
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#1]
teh only shorts ive seen without belt loops are the surfing shorts/bathing suits...cut off sweats...and the "coaching" shorts...

what are you thinking of?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The ones I have that are without loops are the surfer style but some are pretty nice ones that are acceptable for the high end golf courses.
The main issue is, CCW means concealed and when you wear t-shirts and shorts that's hard to accomplish.
That's why I was thinking about a pack of some sort.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I know nothing about the SmartCarry system.  But the only thing that would scare me off, is that it's kinda like the PagerPal.  (yes, I have one, and yes, it sucks) Is SmartCarry anythingn like that?  Anyone have one, would like to comment?

And anyone wanna buy a PagerPal for a Glock 19?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Guess it depends on what you want to carry.

When necessary I carry my Kahr MK9 without its usual Pearce Grip extension in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

Sometimes I'll use an Alessi Bodyguard under a shortsleeved shirt with the tails tucked in and one button unfastened.

Fanny packs are kinda faggy.

Other option is to wear a shirt with squared tails and wear them outside of your shorts.

T-shirts are tough.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I find myself liking and using the smartcarry more than I thought I would. I live in shorts and T-shirts here in Mi in the summer and I am pretty much limited to the smartcarry...I can even wiz with it on now....My wife can't believe I can hide the gun there. It really is worth a try. Having said that, I have a P3-AT on order that I'llbe able to carry in a pocket. I'll be curious to see how that works out. If you are seriously worried abouting yourself ~down there~ you probably shouldn't be using any kind of holster cause it's all gonna hurt if you shoot yourself holstering your gun.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Belly Band:
www.galls.com/shop/viewProductDetail.jsp?item=NP056&hiddenQty=1

I wear a tee shirt, then the belly band, then the outer tee shirt I'm going to wear.

For walking for exercise, or bike riding I wear a FANNY pack (I know, it yells GUN!)
Art in KY
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.smartcarry.com

This is what use to be "Thundewear", right?  I tried that for a while with a 3913 and even a J-frame 442.  Never cared for it, especially when seated for long periods of time, such as driving, boating etc.
Still got that thing around here somewhere...
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#10]
On those days that I can't get by either with a IWB or a pocket (mouse) gun, I have a fanny pack (gun pack) with a extra mag; a small can of OC in one end pocket and a lightweight folder in the other and my cell phone and pager clipped on the waist band.  A lot of the time, depending on where and what, I carry it looped over my left shoulder and can draw from there almost as well as from around my waist.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.smartcarry.com

This is what use to be "Thundewear", right?  I tried that for a while with a 3913 and even a J-frame 442.  Never cared for it, especially when seated for long periods of time, such as driving, boating etc.
Still got that thing around here somewhere...

Nah, Thunderwear is still around.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Depends on what I'm doing. The best I've found so far is one of those portable CD player cases by Caselogic, the ones with the shoulder strap. they usually have two compartments, a thinner one for the CD player and a thicker one for a single stack CD case. Either my Sig 228 or Glock 23 fit perfectly in the larger compartment, muzzle down just like in a holster, even if you zip it shut. They usually come in black and I think look better than a fanny pack. Plus, even with a pistol in there, the smaller compartment has room for the CD player. Looks alot less suspicious then the fanny pack too, although as long as your carrying legally, I guess it doesn't really matter if you look suspicious. Sometimes appearance can be a deterant.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I usually use Eagle's fag bag when Im toolin around town dressed like a bum.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#14]
While not the most practical for ultra-fast draws, I have found the Kramer "Confidant" holster shirts the most comfortable and best device for deep concealment I have tried and are great for J-frame snubbies, sub-compact Glocks, ultra-compact 1911's, S&W 3913's, Sig P239's etc. It is basically a sleevless mesh t-shirt with a holster/pocket underneath each arm. It uses a velcro retention strap. In the spare pocket you can carry extra ammo in mags or speed strips. These are really nice and work well with button shirts. If needed in a hurry, just rip a few buttons and presto, you have your weapon. But even when pulling the shirt up, I have found them just as quick and no more awkward than getting to a gun tucked down into your waistband like a ThunderWear device or PagerPal. More comfy too. These can be bought at www.bluepress.com for $42.99 in all sizes except XXXL.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I tend to like "cargo" shorts.  The large flap pocket holds my S&W Chief Special  .45 or my small 945 very nicely.  Be sure you get a pocket holster with a leather piece facing the outside to prevent "printing".  

Thunderware/smart carry  works well.  I saw a vendor at a gun show, a really thin guy, not overly small but smaller than I, carrying a full size 1911 in it.

If you are wearing someting too light for either of the above, then something smaller will have to be your carry piece.  I have a Seecamp for that.  I'd have to be in a nudist colony not to be able to conceal that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I would tend to minimize the variances in your style of carry. You train on one & you stay sharp with it. I would be more inclined to change my shorts than change my carry habits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top