Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2003 11:06:41 AM EDT
Please someone give me a good reason NOT to buy a Remington XP. I'm in the middle of two other projects right now, an AR-shorty with a few whistles and bells, and an NEF .308 survivor.

I went and did it again. I walked into my local gunshop and went over to the used gun rack. (When will I ever learn)

They have a Remington XP bolt action hand gun in .223. Its the older one with the wood looking plastic mid grip. This is the gun that inspired me to buy my .308 Savage Striker.

It even has iron sights which was exactly what I wanted. (the one I've seen in the past had the irons taken off with a scope mounted, don't know why they took off the iron.)

How much should I expect to pay for one of these? Looks clean.

How many rounds does it hold?

How often do you see these things on sale? Will I be able to find one a year from now?

Why did they stop making them? Is there an accuracy problem or other defect I don't know about?

Please respond quick I doubt its going to sit there for long, and if I hesitate I might change my mind.

choirboy out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:43:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally offered in .221 "fireball", the hollow Zytel stock had chambers for added weights to adjust balance.
Back in '77 they retailed for $170, dropped in the mid '90s.
It was a single shot and there were a few models offered in other calibers.
Make sure the one you are looking at was a .223, not a rechambered .221, whoever may have done the rechambering or how good it turned out, who knows?
Prices start at $325 in good condition for the "varmint special" model all the way up to $750-$850 for excellent condition XP-100 custom HB long range pistols with a 10 1/2 inch bbl. or XP-100R KS with a 14 1/2 in bbl.
I see them at shows from time to time as there were a considerable quantity manufactured.
If it fits your niche, why not own it?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]
So its a single shot.  Well that's sort of good news.  My Striker is a 2+1 and it seems weird that the .223 would only be a single shot.  It is a pretty light gun.  

Thanks for the info.  It does sound like I will be abel to get one again in the future and the price is about the same so its not an incredible  deal or anything.  

Well that put the fire down to a low boil.  I'll have to see.  It sure fits well in my hand though.  I with the Striker was half well balanced.  If it were, I wouldn't even consider the Remington.  Hmmm, I should do a search on new stocks for the Striker.  Don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Thanks once again.

choir-boy out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top