Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2003 10:24:46 AM EDT
i've been kicking around the idea of the insight m6 for awhile, but have never seen or used. nor do i have any experience with other laser sights or mounted lights.

what is the general attitude among people that have them and/or have used them? are they more than jsut a gimmick? when do you feel they would be most appropriate.

thanks!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd want one on my nightstand pistol.  I have a Surefire sitting next to my pistol now, but it'd be more convenient to have both hands on the gun.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#2]

um, plastic housing bad.
aluminum good!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Go SureFire.  Want to know what the majority of SWAT, SF, Military use?  SureFire tactical lights.  My local SWAT team uses them, they have been through knocks, bumps, scrapes and still work.  They let me handle it, nice light, doesn't offset the weight or feel of the pistol (well at least I didn't notice it), bright when in a dark area, even in a bright area you could see the light perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got the crimson trace grips on my J-frame.  It really makes target acquisition fast and easy.  

It makes a great addition.  It won't replace practice but does make a good addition to the tool box.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the Insight Tech M3/M6.  You can get the M3 for under $100.  My M3 serves on multiple guns (Glock/SIG/AR/anything with a rail); it's snap on and snap off.

I've heard all of the arguments for the Surefire, and I must agree that it is a very nice light; a light that is dedicated to a single weapon.  I can't justify a light that costs 2-3 times the cost of the M3 for my intended purposes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Well here goes a long post...

Lasers - I used to think they were hollywood BS and provided a great way for some one to shoot back at you.

Lights - I ignored my own logic and thought a weapon mounted light was the ticket. Never mind thats it bright and provides a much easier target to orient to/on.

Now - I spent a little time with Ernest Langdon (a seriously Bad, ex ninja type, that is very nice and knowledgaeble about room clearing and killing people) and I have totally switched my thinking.  I still like lights on long guns and I have a m3 on my house pistol - but only so the two are together when/if I have to grab them.  If clearing with a handgun, I hold my light in my weak hand and paint in short burst with the light.  I think this gives me 3 advantages:

1. the light is not close to my body so if someone shoots at it they are more likely to miss me  - A good thing.

2. I can search with the light and not point my pistol at someone I might not want to shoot. eg one of my kids that is sleep walking.

3.  I can now point the light on a target, activate the laser and not have to have my head lined up with the pistol and the light.  Example:  going up stairs - I can light up the target and hold my pistol off to the side above my head, see where the laser is painting and I dont have to be in a traditional stance == less of my parts are exposed.

So now I like the laser and prefer the light seperate.

By the way surefire makes THE BEST lights and has AWESOME customer service.  I have been using their lights for about 7 years and the are the top of the class.  I only use an M3  because I won it at a match and I dont have to find 2 things in the dark.

theres my 0.2

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top