Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2007 6:28:50 PM EDT
Seriously thinking about getting my PA CCW.

Now, honestly--even when I had my VA permit years ago (then moved to IL), I didn't carry all that much (my work wouldn't let you have firearms, and I didn't want to leave it in the car).   I probably won't carry too much now, either.   However, I want the option if I feel it is necessary.   Work won't be a major issue, but if I go to an outside facility (hospital/nursing home), I may not be allowed to carry there.  

If I carry on my person--my lardass becomes a consideration....

Yeah, I gained a few pounds, carry the keg instead of the 6 pack, etc....

Most of my pants fit fine (work pants), and the jeans are just a bit looser (I get a slightly larger waist than I normally wear as I am always doing work in the jeans).  I do have a few work pants (Dockers type) that are a bit tight in the waist (too cheap to replace them).

Probably could stand to lose a few pounds (50) to get to ideal weight for my height.   Of course, to be practical--if I gained a few more, I could probably just pull my belly up and tuck the gun into the fold under it and do great for concealed carry.

Now, sometime in the future I will have a SIG-Sauer P229 (.40) or 1911 (full sized) as a carry gun.   Ideally, I'd like to have a holster for each pistol (not a universal pouch type), by the same manufacturer with the same design (simplifies learning the thumb break, draw angle, etc.).

Because I am likely to have to take the pistol out occasionally (and probably find a briefcase to carry/store it), something fairly easy to remove would be nice.

I like leather over plastic, but am not firmly against it either.

I personally (but without much experience) think IWB is more concealable, but given the aforementioned large expanse of my midsection--is it practical?   I suppose I could get bigger pants overall to make it easier--but I'd rather spend the money on other things if a good substitute is available.

Any thoughts?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel your "pain" brother... and all I can say is spend 10 minutes in the garage, working your ass off to shed the unwanted pounds. I'm not talking about any store-bought regimen, rather, I want you to dance/lift/whatever-it-takes in the privacy of your garage to drop the weight. If you stop the intake of all "BAD" carbs/fat/calories (which includes beer, donuts, chips, cheese, PIE and cake... you will find some renewed energy.).

I'm serious!!! Stop all intake of burgers, fries, cokes, shakes, malts, tiramisu, pecan pie, and all the yummy/nasty foods you love and HATE, and in about six weeks, you will drop 30 pounds, and will be able to carry the handgun you feel appropriate for self-defense ON YOUR PERSON!!!

Believe me... I'm 5'11" and at one time pushed 230# - and now hover around 180# - and the secret to losing weight is the opposite of your household budget...

A so-called "diet" requires a person to take in less "energy" then they "expel". In other words, if you eat a double-bacon-cheese-burger-with-mayo-and-honey mustard... that has 1,800 calories, you need to run/jog/lift/dance/whatever for 3 hours to burn off that crap!!!

Now, I'm no diet guru, just a guy that was skinny back in the day, then started pigging out on food, got FAT then stopped the bad behavior.

You can do the same. Trust me. It ain't that damn hard.

Lower the intake, increase the "out-go" and you'll loose all the weight you need to loose.

Save you life, regain your health - enjoy your future!!

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, you are going to need about 2 inches more on a pair of pants for an IWB for it to be comfortable. And I really do like the Galco holsters. Having said that, every body is different and it will take you awhile to figure out what the best IWB is for you.

Start with these

http://www.usgalco.com/
http://www.miltsparks.com/
http://www.bulmangunleather.com/
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I am a fat bastard as well, so I feel your pain.

I am a Glock fan, carried a G19 for many years in a Galco belt slide holster. As of the last two years I changed to a G30 and carry it in a Comp-Tac Infidel holster.

Things to consider when your a big guy that carries a gun.
1) A 1911 will cut into you if you have "love handles".
2) Holster placement, you will need a holster that you can move around a bit to get comfortable.
3) I advise you use a Kydex type holster, us fat folks sweat alot and that will kill a leather IWB holster in about a year. (This has been my experience.)

My $.02

To add, your going to get alot of folks who will reply to your thread about losing weight, but that does you no good now. I know I personally need to lose alot of weight, but my profession makes this very difficult. However, after performing horribly in a tactics class this past weekend, I WILL be getting my ass back into shape, period.

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm 5' 9" and weigh 265 lbs so I know where your coming from.  If you carry IWB  get a holster that has a body/sweat shield.  That will cut down on the gun digging into your "spare tire".  All of the holsters I make or buy for myself have sweat shields!  I also make my own mag carriers with sweat shields.  Right now I am using a Sparks VMII and it's very comfortable and doesn't dig into me at all.

Diamondback
A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!
NRA Member
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Leather OWB with FBI cant.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I know the ideal thing is to lose the weight...has the added benefit that the pants will be a bit looser also.  

Have to change the dietary habits (already started by cutting way back..hopefully to stop soon) on the diet sodas and going to water.

Thanks for the viewpoints!

AfARR
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Gashog:

I feel your "pain" brother... and all I can say is spend 10 minutes in the garage, working your ass off to shed the unwanted pounds. I'm not talking about any store-bought regimen, rather, I want you to dance/lift/whatever-it-takes in the privacy of your garage to drop the weight. If you stop the intake of all "BAD" carbs/fat/calories (which includes beer, donuts, chips, cheese, PIE and cake... you will find some renewed energy.).

I'm serious!!! Stop all intake of burgers, fries, cokes, shakes, malts, tiramisu, pecan pie, and all the yummy/nasty foods you love and HATE, and in about six weeks, you will drop 30 pounds, and will be able to carry the handgun you feel appropriate for self-defense ON YOUR PERSON!!!

Believe me... I'm 5'11" and at one time pushed 230# - and now hover around 180# - and the secret to losing weight is the opposite of your household budget...

A so-called "diet" requires a person to take in less "energy" then they "expel". In other words, if you eat a double-bacon-cheese-burger-with-mayo-and-honey mustard... that has 1,800 calories, you need to run/jog/lift/dance/whatever for 3 hours to burn off that crap!!!

Now, I'm no diet guru, just a guy that was skinny back in the day, then started pigging out on food, got FAT then stopped the bad behavior.

Lower the intake, increase the "out-go" and you'll loose all the weight you need to loose.

I know this already---I'm a Podiatrist and see it every day where overweight people can't understand why their feet hurt.   Best way to lose the weight is the reduction in caloric intake to below what is burned (but NOT too much below--that causes ballooning of the weight).   I did lose substantial weight on the Atkins at one point, but went back to eating the carbs and gained it back.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Let's not let this get into a dietary discussion.  That belongs over in self-defense and fitness.    I recently dropped 55 lbs. myself and it was not easy.  I used a Milt Sparks VMII then and still do.  It's made of horsehide since it won't absorb sweat.  I'd advise you to stay away with any pistol with a hammer.  The hammer used to dig into my squishy sides.  If you want to carry that Sig 229, I hope it's got a stainless slide.  The old Sig finish didn't hold up to my sweat for very long, even with meticulous oiling.  Also, you may find it worthwhile to change the DA/SA action into a DAK action.  All it requires is a different hammer (spurless) and trigger bar.  It's easy to change at home.  That should make it more comfy.  MJD
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I also have some extra weight and have been using a C-Tac for a year or two for a G30.  I have no complaints, but I recently picked up a M-Tac for 9/40 line of Glocks to try.  I haven't used it except around the house. The nice thing about the M-Tac is you can buy new "bodies" for $35 for just about any gun and just swap them out. I also opted for the "slide" version so it will be fine for any size 9/40/357 glock, as it has a open end.  I am not sure if that is the answer or should I have just gotten the one for the longest slide and still been able to use it for any of the shorter versions.  Only time will tell.

FB
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:48:00 AM EDT
[#10]
a buddy of mine is on the heavy side; he prefers either a shoulder rig or an OWB pancake leather holster

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#11]
You'll have to wait for it, but here's what you'll want...

Alessi CQC/S

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What he said. I started losing weight last November, I don't know what I started at then but I do know around Feb this year I weighed myself and I was at 335 and had been losing since November. I'm not down to the 265ish area. It's not hard you just gotta quit eating so much and so much of the bad stuff. Occasionally I get a hankering for a hamburgers so I just get a regular size cheeseburger instead of the Ginormous Bacon Quadruple Bypass Deluxe with cheese.

Anyhow even when I was still extremely heavy I carried a fullsize 1911 same as I do now. Get a good holster, spend the money on of the well known holster makers. Get a good belt, a cheapo belt from walmart ain't gonna cut it. Get a belt that was meant to be used for carrying a gun. Then just experiment with different positions and find one that works. Before I lost weight 3 or 4 o'clock worked for me. Now I usually carry at about 5 o'clock since my profile is getting narrower the grip angling outward and was almost impossible to conceal.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I like Uncle Mike's ambidextrous. which puts the gun handle below my belt. Less cutting into my gut, plus the extra pouch for the spare magazine is easier than carrying it in a seperate pocket.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I know a fat guy who loves his Galco Skyops
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top