Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2007 5:24:17 PM EDT
Looking to get an IWB holster for my Walther PPK/S.

What are the drawbacks and positives of each holster.

I am looking at the following brands for an IWB holster:

My concerns:

-durability
-comfort
-effects on material from perspiration
-effects on firearm from material

KYDEX
-Comp-Tac
-Bladetech

Leather
-Don Hume
-Gould&Goodrich

I am trying to stay around $50 or less if possible.

Also, I do NOT want to wait 6 months for a holster.....so Mitch Rosen is out!

Thanks for your suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Personal preference is leather. Never could get use to plastic or synthetics.

Look at Mitch Rosen summer special II, just a little more in price but worth it.

Remember one thing about buying cheaply for personel protection equipment---How much is your life worth?

When looking for a IWB holster look to:

1. With the gun out, does the holster collapse it should stay open for easy rehostering
2. with the holster upside down, does the gun stay in
3. when drawing does the gun come out smooth with no snagging
4. is the angle of the gun, when in postion on your belt, at a 'natrual' angle for gripping. Some holsters hold the gun more up right then others while some make the angle too steep to grip easily.

If you can,try the holsters first. Plan how you will dress, dress that way when trying the holsters. Angle for holsters on me is about 45 degrees. This fits my drawing motion(yes I practice about 30minutes 3x a week) which involves me having a lite vest on, running my thumb along the belt clearing the vest till I grip my gun. Time on target with this is about 1.2 seconds to 1.5 and shoot(timed, i'm slow so I do not compete. moving that fast makes me sloppy and you can't be sloppy with a gun).

Oh FYI, subscripe to sears big and tall catalog(yes i'm big but not tall). Every once in a while they sell vests in different styles. 30 bucks max and are not photograher's vest. Light weight for summer wear and have plenty of pockets for those shtf situations.

hope this helps

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Kydex meets all of your criteria (in my opinion).  The only one I know some people have an  issue with is comfort.  But any good kydex hoslters will be comfortable.

Leather is the most comfortbale, but holds up horribly to sweat and isnt very durable.

Again, in my opinion.  And I live in Az where sweat is a mojor concern.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer Kydex. There's no break-in period to loosen the holster unlike brand new leather's vise-like grip. No worries about collapse getting in the way of easy re-holstering. Third, tension screws allow you to tighten or loosen the holster to your desire.

I've been carrying a kydex IWB, it's not uncomfortable. In fact, I feel weird without it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Kydex for me, I am done with expensive leather that doesn't last.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#5]
generally, overall, Kydex

1 solid piece- it holds or it doesnt. but no flex (w/ good kydex)

cheaper, yet still very usable

not affected as much by moisture, heat, sweat, salts, etc

i dont care so much about the finish wear

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I like both actually, (well horsehide, not leather) depending on the application and the shape of the gun.

All my mag carriers are Kydex, no matter what the holster is.  My IWB holsters are mostly horsehide.

That was zero help wasnt it?

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#7]
LEATHER ! Its way more comfortable. Kydex makes for a great range/competition holster, but I find it far too hard for real CCW. Sure, the leather holds onto the gun tighter, but I can't imagine ever having trouble getting the gun out if my life depended on it. I actually carry outside the waistband, on a regular belt holster - I pack a Glock 27, which is so short I don't need to go IWB.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
LEATHER ! Its way more comfortable. Kydex makes for a great range/competition holster, but I find it far too hard for real CCW...

I concur.  There are some very good kydex holsters on the market, but I prefer the feel of leather.  Plus, leather seems to be a bit easier on the weapon's finish (although all holsters will wear the finish some).

I carry strong-side IWB (at about 4:00) with an AKJ Concealco holster for my USP9C (works well, hardly notice it's there)...the kydex alternatives just felt too doggone bulky when I tried 'em out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Leather.

Like a good pair of boots, nothing fits your gun better than good leather. I can't imagine carrying in anything else.

If you have a problem with your holster being too tight at first, put the gun in a plastic bag (I use Poly Gun Bags) and holster it. In a few days it'll fit great!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:22:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Leather (horsehide) for IWB, Kydex for anything else.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Leather for me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I was never a fan of Kydex holsters, however, I've had good luck with Fobus for range use.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I like both - combined.  My IWB rigs are Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe holsters.  Leather backing for the comfort, and kydex holster for ease of draw/reholstering.  Once on, I almost forget they are there.

Crossbreed Holsters
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I prefer kydex for price and they aren't has hard on the finish on my guns.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I prefer Kydex for all of my holsters.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't have a preference.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I have had several kydex holsters and they just aren't comfy at all compared to leather.  The last 2 I tried were a comp-tac ctac and a blade tech utimate concealment holster.

My favorite IWB is my Alessi PCH.  I waited a year for it though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently changed from kydex to leather and so far I'm very happy with the leather.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:30:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I like both - combined.  My IWB rigs are Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe holsters.  Leather backing for the comfort, and kydex holster for ease of draw/reholstering.  Once on, I almost forget they are there.

Crossbreed Holsters

+1 Best holster I've tried.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top