Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 7:56:48 PM EDT
Hi guys... I am new to these forums. I just received a gun from a good friend in a partial trade. It's a 9mm Beretta 92, but it's the compact version (holds 2 rounds less than the "normal" 15rd Beretta 92. It was made in Italy (not Beretta USA) and imported, and the year it was made was 1989. It fires very well and is in excellent condition. I have 3 of the 13 round mags (also made in Italy), two 15 round mags (made in Italy) and two US-made 15 round mags. The 15 round mags fit in it, but stick out from the bottom a bit. The grip is a bit small for my big hands (I'm 6'3") and it's not too comfy to hold - for me. Anyway, I was wondering what the value of this gun might be. I am told that it is worth quite a bit because it was made in Italy (not in the US). I was hoping to sell it at a gunshow or go for partial trade on a pre-ban AR-15, but didn't want to get taken by someone saying it's only worth $300. I was told that with the magazines, and an extra compensated barrel I have for it, it is probably worth at least $700+, but I wanted to get others' opinions on it as well.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:24:47 AM EDT
[#1]
The 92 Compacts are nice guns. I had one that was the most accurate Beretta 92 I ever saw but let it get away. They made the Compact in both the 92S and 92F series guns IIRC. The S series guns were blued with the original polish, had a rounded trigger guard and were straight at the bottom of the front grip strap...unlike the 92F which has the Brunitron finish, finger-forward trigger guard and the slight forward "rake" at the bottom of the grip strap. I prefer the older model.

I don't see one of these as any sort of "collectors" gun, but your package should be worth somewhere in the neighborhood of what you were quoted as value. If I wanted it, I would offer around $550-600 and dicker from there. Depending on your location the $700+ figure may be a little high, or even a little low.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:51:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I just bought a used 96 Compact with two mags and case for $340.

This was on the low side, so I figure yours is worth about $450-500.

I own a 92FS and much prefer the Compact, it is just the right size for me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Slightly OT:

I have an Italian-made 92FS. Is it really worth more simply because it's Italian?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  I don't know the difference between a 92S and 92F other than what you described, but I'd assume that it's a 92F Compact because it's exactly the same as the military 92 except for the shorter grip.
Also, I don't know if it really makes a difference, but I forgot to mention that it does have a tritium night-sight front post and Novak-style rear sight for better compact carry (won't get caught on things).  From what I have been told, Italian made Berettas are more reliable and better quality (maybe like comparing a US-made car to a european-made car) - but then I am a 'newbie' at this, so I don't know for sure - it's just what I have heard.  I was hoping to trade this gun package (of course, with cash) towards a pre-ban AR/M4.  I suppose in a trade with the right person, I could expect to get on the higher end of the value scale versus selling for cash.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Slightly OT:

I have an Italian-made 92FS. Is it really worth more simply because it's Italian?

I don't know if it is worth more I have one and it is perfection, I think they try harder in Italy. Think long and hard before you sell that gun.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one of those in about 1992.  I really did like it, but switched to a .45 the next year.  IIRC I paid $475 Police letterhead price.  Used it should support at least that much. If not more.  It came with Two mags, so I would search shotgun news for going mag prices on anything above that.  Beretta compatible high caps are not however scarce Italian made are actually manufactured by Mec gar for comparison.  Same company makes mags for SIG and some of the best 1911 mags out there.

Also agreed on smoothness of the Italian gun.  It was much smoother than the US made 92FS I sold to buy it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Think long and hard before you sell that gun.

NEVER happen! I know a beauty when I see one!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#8]
BUY AMERICAN.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top