Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2003 4:16:13 PM EDT
No, this is not one of those "Which caliber is best" threads.

I have never shot a .45 ACP, and am curious as to how the recoil compares to .40 S&W.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You probably won't notice much of a difference .
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#3]
you might notice a little more torque to the right is all
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Both are completely controllable to me.  The difference to me is how the gun feels when its cycling.  The .45ACP is a gentler push, where I can actually perceive the slide cycling.  .40 cycles the slide sharper and faster, but because of the light bullet weights, I don't notice any difference in controllability.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Both are completely controllable to me.  The difference to me is how the gun feels when its cycling.  The .45ACP is a gentler push, where I can actually perceive the slide cycling.  .40 cycles the slide sharper and faster, but because of the light bullet weights, I don't notice any difference in controllability.

I'd have to agree w/ this.  My .40 and.45 feel "similar", but the .40 has more "bite", while the .45 feels like it has more bang/power.  The .45 does handle the recoil much better, which takes the "bite" away.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup, Lumpy196 said it well, baxxx.
Using the same types of guns for comparison, of course.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#7]
The recoil seems about equal in force but differs in feel.  The 40's I've shot have been snappier while the 45's felt more like a shove.  I found I could shoot 40's more rapidly as they recover to target more quickly, but 45's are more fun to shoot.  Either is an excellent caliber.  I'd say just go to the range and rent a 45 to see what you think yourself.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep,

Just what everyone said, 40 S&W operates at 2 time the pressure of that of a 45 ACP.

45 ACP is a big, fat, slow thumper while the 40 S&W is a young, slim, fast whapper...every watch the NFL?

If I had only one try to stop a threat I would go with the thumper.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#9]
baxxx,
45 ACP is my favorite caliber.  I got into reloading this winter and found I could even reduce the .45's "shove".  Accuracy went up a bunch too.  But regarding your question, I started with a Glock 22 and did not seem to mind .40 factory rounds until I tried a 9mm...then I finally "endured" a .45 ACP (a friend's Beretta 8045 Cougar....
I loved the feel of a .45...it does not snap like a .40 (factory rounds to comparable factory rounds).
It is a different feel to me and one I enjoy now over any caliber.  I still shoot other calibers, but far prefer the .45 ACP.
VF
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to everyone.  I will try to find a .45 to try out.

Just wanted to know what to expect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top