Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2003 4:06:39 PM EDT
Hey all, I recently bought my first SIG, a 226 9mm. I love the pistol and shoot it well, but I have questions regarding the slide release and decocker controls. I have fairly large hands and have no problem with the controls on my HK USP's, 1911's or any other pistols that I shoot. However, when I grip the 226, I can barely reach the slide release and cannot reach the decocker without changing my grip. The problem seems to be the "hump" in the grip panel that surrounds the two levers which does not allow my thumb to contact them. As I bring my thumb up, the hump forces my thumb outward not allowing good contact with the decocker.
Is this a normal thing ? am I just not doing it right ??
Is the proper method to adjust your grip or use your other hand to operate these controls ??
Anyone who has had training at the SIG academy, do they address this issue ??
Thanks in advance for your responses !!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't reach the controls without adjusting my grip.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have extra large hands and I can manipulate the slide release no problem. The decocker is another thing all together,  I use my left thumb to depress the decocker.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#3]
In my post I stated that I could barely reach the slide release. I think I worded it poorly.
With my normal grip, the knucle joint is right on the slide release and I can operate it. It's just that it seemed like I was doing it wrong or some such thing.
Thats also why I was curious if anyone had been to the SIG academy or had formal training on this pistol. I'm sure it's just a matter of technique.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have fairly large hands I have the same difficulties.  I could hit them without adjusting my grip, but the actions are a little more positive (esp under stress) rotating my grip a little.

Spectre, have you played with the new stippled grips that come on the milled slide P226s?  They feel a little thinner in the control hump area than the original checkered ones, not at the controls themselves, but at the rear so its possible to get a little more reach.  SIG sells them $35.  Ive got to get around to getting a pair.  Not as secure as the checkering IMHO, but thinner.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have fairly large hands I have the same difficulties.  I could hit them without adjusting my grip, but the actions are a little more positive (esp under stress) rotating my grip a little.

Spectre, have you played with the new stippled grips that come on the milled slide P226s?  They feel a little thinner in the control hump area than the original checkered ones, not at the controls themselves, but at the rear so its possible to get a little more reach.  SIG sells them $35.  Ive got to get around to getting a pair.  Not as secure as the checkering IMHO, but thinner.

No I have'nt seen or tried them, but I will now.
Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
www.waffennoser.ch/img/sig%20p226.jpg

Lumpy, that's a stamped version 226, not milled and is identical to mine. Those are the grips on mine. Where did you see the grips for sale ?? I looked all over the SIG website and had no luck. I was just going to call them tomorrow.
Thanks for the kewl pic though.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the thumb on my left hand to activate the decocker and the slide release on my Sig 220.  I have no choice as I have small hand with short fingers.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:58:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Where did you see the grips for sale ?? I looked all over the SIG website and had no luck.

603-772-2302  Sig's Parts Dept.

The stippled grips are on all the P226's.  Its my understanding that type was added in 96' so it caught a lot of the stamped slide guns.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where did you see the grips for sale ?? I looked all over the SIG website and had no luck.

603-772-2302  Sig's Parts Dept.

The stippled grips are on all the P226's.  Its my understanding that type was added in 96' so it caught a lot of the stamped slide guns.

Thanks Lumpy.
My 226 is a 1997 production that I bought NIB.
I think the bottom line is just get used to adjusting the grip to operate the decocker or use the left hand.
No big deal really, I just thought I may have some mutant hands or some such oddity.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a 226 for a time and the controls were perfect for me.  I thought the slide release was in the perfect place.  I barely had to move my thumb.  mag changes were a snap.  The decocker location didn't bother me.  i like that it was out of the way.  I could still work it with my thumb without problems.  I only decock it when I am about to holster it anyway.  less urgency than when reloading in a hurry.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Me too...

I use a two handed grip w/ both thumbs parallel, I am right handed and use my weak hand to operate the control levers.

I like it like that!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Man, that's weird...I have medium sized hands and don't have a problem reaching either control with my right thumb.  I wonder if it's the position of your knuckle in relation to the decocking lever.  <shrug>
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Girly-man hands.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top