Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2003 6:49:00 PM EDT
Hello all,
I recently got this Charter Arms .38 special Undercover for a gift. I know nothing about it. I'm thinking about using it for a carry. Any thoughts about that? anything about the reliablity of this revolver? anything at all would be of great help
Also, can i fire .357 magnum rounds through this safely?
Thanks alot
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The Charter Arms Undercover is smaller than the J frame S&W and was priced lower as well. I believe they went out of business some years back but might have been recently resurrected.

Its a very concealable weapon, but with a grip many feel is uncomfortably small.

I'm not sure if the Undercover was +P rated and certainly not designed to fire .357 even if you could get the cylinder closed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If it is marked .38 Special , than NO you cannot fire .357 thru it ...

You can fire .38 thru a .357 , not the other way around

t
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:53:47 AM EDT
[#3]
If it is a Charter Arms it is a good gun, if it is a Charter 2000 revolver it is ok. IMO
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:19:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I owned a Charter Arms .38 spl back in the 60's.  It was not rated for +P ammo but it was a good gun.

The new Charter 2000 that I've seen at the local gun shops are too "loose" for my taste.  Barrel/cylinder lockup isn't up to my standards.

For the money and type of weapon I'd get a Rossi or Tarus .357 snub.

I use to carry a S&W model 36 Chief Special that I have since given to my wife.  The prices on new ones are too high.

But since it was a gift then you're ahead of the game.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Good gun, use standard pressure loads, all should be well. I liked the sight picture on those Charters way better than the more expensive S&W chief.
Do not remove the front crane screw as (if memory serves me) a little nylon washer lives in there that becomes deformed and cannot be reused or easily replaced.
Reassembly without it causes the cylinder to bind.
The only reason I bring it up, there are some who like to disassemble an arm to see what "makes it tick"...not saying you would.
Those were advertised as having an unbreakable beryllium copper firing pin, back in their heyday.
Good gift, I shoulda kept all mine, especially the .44 Bulldogs.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#6]
That was the best gun they made the 3" 44 spec bulldog.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That was the best gun they made the 3" 44 spec bulldog.

Agreed. I'll own one someday. I don't own a 44SPL yet so thats reason enough.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Charter 2000 Bulldog, and it serves its purpose very well for the price.  Depending on your choice of holster, you'll probably need to smooth the corners of the hammer and front sight with a file to make it less painful to carry.  I don't know abou the Undercover, but the grips on my Bulldog kinda suck... I think Pachmayr is the only one to make replacements.

If yours is stainless, the finish will start to darken a little with carry.  Not quite rust, but not bright stainless anymore.  For the price and purpose of the gun, I'm not complaining at all.

As an aside, mine is actually pretty darned accurate when I fire it with the hammer cocked, and yours will probably be the same.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
...Those were advertised as having an unbreakable beryllium copper firing pin, back in their heyday...

Ok, this is exactly what my undercover looks like, do you know if it belongs amongst the ones with the beryllium copper firing pin?

http://www.geocities.com/hanniballecter02/Undercover.jpg

thanks
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, I couldn't open that link, Lockedon, but I know what they look like anyway.
Chances are, if it was made in Stratford Conn., it has that firing pin.
If it's a Charco manufactured gun, I don't know because I have heard beryllium causes health problems...not the firing pin so much as the process to make it.
Chronic berylliun disease, caused by high levels of beryllium...irreversable and sometimes fatal scarring of the lungs may have been enough reason to discontinue manufacture of this type of firing pin, I would think.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Good guns.

OFF DUTY .38 SPL

Bulldog .44 SPL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top