Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2003 11:24:27 AM EDT
I want to get a nice 5" 1911 in 45ACP for carry and for IDPA matches... basically a "do it all" 1911.  I have narrowed my chice down to Les Baer's Premier II and Wilson's CQB. Other contenders were Valtro, Rock River (their waiting list at 16 months was too long) and Ed Brown (too much $$).  

Between these 2 makers I leaning towards Les Baer because Premier II is about $400 less and has adjustable sights (I reload a lot).  What do you tink... a good choice?  Which would you pick if you had $1,500 to spend on a 1911?

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#1]
The Baer or an Ed Brown is a better gun for the money...not that a Wilson is "bad".
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
i have LB concept VIII and luv it..it is picky bout ammo though,it doesnt like the cheap aluminum cased stuff,,and it has ultra tight tolerances,,its not very easy to put back together after taken about , plus the full length guide rod doesnt help the assembly process..anyways......i would say LB cause that is what i have and dont know anything bout wilson..lol
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The Baer or an Ed Brown is a better gun for the money...not that a Wilson is "bad".

Okay so what you are saying is that Wilson CQB is good but not worth $1,800?  Do you think Premier II is worth $1,400? How about if the CQB and Premier II were same price (+/- $1,400)?  Which would you pick now?  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Wilson Service Grade Protector and love it.  However, the price difference these days between Wilson and Baer is significant.  Id go with the Baer....but I may be biased since Ive been lusting after one for years.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I agree.... I’ve got guns from all three makers and for the money a Baer is really hard to beat. After that I would go for the Brown and my last choice would be the Wilson. Wilson makes a very nice gun but for the money a Baer is a better deal.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I own a Les Baer Concept IV pistol and it is hands down the best pistol I have ever bought. It is superbly accurate (hits poker chips from 25 yards, off hand easily) and dead reliable.

I have experienced 1 jam in the several thousand rounds I fired through this gun, and that was on round 3 of the initial 300 round breakin period. It stovepiped, which was easily cleared. Narry a hiccup since then.

The gun is so reliable that I can fire it using only my thumb and trigger finger, and the gun STILL runs like a champ.

The sights on the Baer guns are perfectly regulated and easy to use. There is not a higher quality pistol made than Baer's 1911s. They are the best pistols I have ever seen.

My Baer shoots superbly small groups even with el-cheapo PMC ball ammo. It is just a phenominal shooter and is 100% reliable. Not to mention that they are a bit cheaper than Wilson, and Baer makes his own frames, whereas Wilson's are made by someone else.

Baer guns are TIGHT though, so get a good metal barrel bushing wrench. You WILL need it. I can't say enough positive things about the Baer guns. When I took the Tactical Pistol II class at Blackwater, I showed off my Baer gun. (I used a Beretta for the class because the ammo is cheaper)

Hardcore operators from all over the globe (Columbia, Canada) and special forces guys from our nation were DROOLING over my 2 toned beauty. They loved it and they all wanted one, even though mine looked pretty rough from almost daily carry.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry a CQB Compact that I won't part with.  But everything I have heard about the Valtro is that it is the equal, if not better, than Wilson or Baer.  And it's a hell of a lot less expensive, around $1200, and comes with adjustable sights.  I would buy the Valtro.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:09:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Well...for me, no, I do not believe the Wilson is worth the money at $1800. I have a Wilson Master Combat that Bill...really Bud Coley... built for me on a Colt Series 70 around 1980-81 and it is going strong at 70,000+ logged rounds, although it has had a new barrel and trigger installed. I would probably pass out if I priced the work today! Wilson runs an assembly line...a damned fine one, but an assembly line it is. Baer set out to do better and IMO, he has. For $1400 in 2003 dollars, the Baer is a steal I think.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#9]
For quite a bit less money, I have gotten 2 Kimbers - the CDP and a Match Target that are absolutely superb.

I will personally never again be able to justify spending custom gun money for what Kimber now produces. A few jams on the Target gun the first time out... it was very tight... but once proken in has been very reliable.

And the CDP is more accurate than I can consitently shoot. What more could I want and for less than a grand?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top