Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2007 7:28:28 PM EDT
with so many different type of good ammo out there would there be any advantage to load different types brands of ammo in the same mag?

I have entertained the thought of alternating gold dots and hydrashocks in the same mag.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#1]
i've done similar...not as a choice, but as a lack of options. a full mag of something mixed with something else  is better than a partially loaded mag or an empty.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]
When I load mags for my handguns, I have two rounds:   cheap FMJ plinker and JHP self-defense.

I dont want to mix them, because that would defeat the purpose of each round.

I have mags loaded for plinking, and mags loaded for "OMFG" and carrying.

With my AK's, the JHPs dont really seem to expand or be any different from FMJ so I just buy FMJ now, since it's cheaper, and I mix and match ammo by whatever is what I grab to load mags with.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#3]
generally, "no"-- i say keep your mags loaded w/ the same load throughout (preferably one that you practice with, thats reliable in your firearm, and that has good terminal ballistics)

other reasons: different ammo has diff recoil/handling characteristics, sometimes mixing can lead to malfs, and its pointless

for example, all my carry mags are w/ the same brand of JHPs b/c i see no reason to have FMJs or mixing/matching the ammo up

why would you want to alternate GDs and HSs?

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#4]
As long as you run your choices through your gun in the manner you intend to employ them-and they prove reliable, obviously- I don't see an issue.  

There may be an advantage.  Maybe Gold Dots work better on crackheads and Hydras work better on zombies- can't be too careful!
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:30:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why don't you just invite Murphy to the party.

I once again agree with SGB.  Why add one more possible cause of a stoppage?  Consistency is crucial in a self defense situation.  Bad idea
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Ive heard placing drops of Cyanide in HP's and covering them with wax works well against sharks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I've done this just to test different ammos in guns without loading lots and lots of individual rounds.

I'll put a bunch of each into a bag, and just load up a magazine, then shoot... I've also been known to do it when I've just had extra rounds lying around and I'm trying to get a full magazine...

but I would say the majority of the time I have the same ammo exclusively loaded in each magazine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I find it retarded, IMHO. All it takes is a miss or two to throw the "timing" of the mag load off completely.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I find it silly, but I'll mention a different reason than has been cited so far.

The much-ridiculed-here Mr. Ayoob mentions in some of his case reviews that gunpowder blast residue has been incidental and occasionally critical in more than one case. Differing loads or powder charges in defensive loads could very well present another problem to defense of a case. Mr Ayoob points more specifically to use of handloads, but I could see where it would work for multiple types of rounds loaded into the magazine.

That's just another reason, but I'd personally worry less about that more about reliability, though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I sometimes mix one brand of hollow point with ball rounds for penetration. This might be one mag out of three that I carry on patrol.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#14]
My Sigs will eat any ammo I've got loaded in the mag, If my pistols have issues with a certain type of ammo, I obviously wont load it in my mags.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#15]
In something like a .380 where you are concerned that a HP might not have sufficient penetration I might be able to see it (FMJ and HP) , but in a decent caliber I can see no benefit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top