Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2003 12:01:29 AM EDT
Folks, help me out and give me a little input...This is what it's boiled down to: I like both the Glock and the XD. I find the trigger on the XD's i've handled to be just a hair nicer to me than the Glocks. I like the rounded edges on the slide of the G26, but it's going in kydex IWB anyway (moot point?)

Grip on the XD seems to point better than the 26 to me... and fills out (just barely) to my pinky finger. G26 seems a finger too short (without an extension like they used to put on the PPK mags).

Hi-Caps are apparently not an issue with either... (xd-40 mags or modified bretta mags vs glock 26, 19, 17 mags, extenders, aftermarket 20-30 rounds) Buying Aisian bretta mags and modifying may be cheaper than Glock hi-caps...

Night sights available on both, or as aftermarket option at roughly the same price.

Glock--proven track record

XD--new to the game in the compact size, but HS2000/xd duty size has been around, and has a good following.

I have found XD-9C for $419 locally with standard sights. Glock with standard sights goes $460 and up.

I havn't found a price for the XD w/night sights yet... but the Glock runs around $570 with factory night sights.

Give me some other prices you've seen.. and opinions (backed up with facts would be best) on which would be the better choice.

I will say I'm leaning on the XD...
thanks fellas
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:18:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an XD and like it. One advantage for me is the grip safety, but then again, I'm paranoid about my holster somehow firing my gun as I holster it. (Chalk it up to the OCD) The XD has a fully supported chamber, but that may be more of a moot point if we're dealing with 9mm. IIRC, they will both digest +P with no problems. I don't think that there are strong technical reasons to go one way or the other. I don't really remember how a Glock works internally, but the XD is pretty straight forward, with the exception of several pins and springs (ie. AR-15). That being said, it's still not extremely difficult to detail strip and reassemble if you've put together an AR, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the XD !!  
Glockb supports the anti position of ballistic fingerprinting, not to mention the frame rail and KB issues.
Piss on glockb.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Get both......

Then get a "real firearm" like Sig; or an H&K.

You'll likely toss the Glock and the Springfield......
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't like GLOCK for their position on ballistic fingerprinting. I like the XD except for the grip safety. While not as annoying as the one on 1911s, I detest grip safeties. Personally, I would wait until later this year when HK is supposed to introduce the 2000 compact.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I purchased my XD9 Sub-compact about 3 weeks ago and have put 1200 rounds of Winchester Bulk Pack through it so far and have yet to have a problem. The more I shoot my XD the more I like it. While I havent shot alot of Glocks I think my sub-com has a better trigger then the ones I have.

BKVic
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't like GLOCK for their position on ballistic fingerprinting. I like the XD except for the grip safety. While not as annoying as the one on 1911s, I detest grip safeties. Personally, I would wait until later this year when HK is supposed to introduce the 2000 compact.

FWIW, the grip safety is trivial to get rid of on an XD. It consists of the safety lever, a pin, and a spring. Get rid of the spring, epoxy the level to the back of the frame. No more grip safety. You could just remove it altogether, but then you'd have a gaping hole in the back of your frame.

BTW, I don't know what this does concerning liability, so, do at your own risk.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Get both......

Then get a "real firearm" like Sig; or an H&K.

You'll likely toss the Glock and the Springfield......hr

I have shot a friends Sig... I think they are good pistols, but they feel almost as "clunky" as a Ruger to me. Kinda like a boxcar on rails attached to a pistol frame...and I dont care for the DA/SA transition. (I do like Ruger pistols for what they are though)

As far as HK... the compact 9mm.. well, it dosn't seem very compact to me. Great firearms? Probably, but I dont think it's worth the price, IMHO. Never fired one though.

Seems like my leaning on the XD might be a good gut feeling to go with... Now I gotta see if I can shoot them side by side somewhere...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the XD!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#10]
FWIW, I've been shooting a G27 since '99, it being the most concealable .40 I could find. Thought it was great...until I discovered the XD40-V10. One look at the Glock rails compared to the XDs and taking nothing else into consideration is enough to make a sensible person switch. Then consider the XDs ease of disassembly, recoil spring design, better trigger and barrel suitable for cast bullets, not to mention the fully supported chamber...

Not much of a choice. The Glock is going down the road and I'm looking for an XD subcompact, even though it's only a "nine". If they made them in .40, I'd be looking a lot harder.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#11]
You said that the XD points and feels better to you.  Why is there any decision to make?  I'll tell you right now, unless you like the way the gun feels you're not going to carry it.

You do plan on carrying it, dont you?????
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Glockb supports the anti position of ballistic fingerprinting, not to mention the frame rail and KB issues.
Piss on glockb

One of the reasons I'm selling my G26. Go for the XD.........man.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:32:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I thought I was the only one.
I HATE grip safeties.
I picked a XD once , that was enough.

G-26.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:34:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Why the grip safety prejudice?

We've got an XD-9 4" that is awesome. I've been looking around for a subcompact off retail price.

I love the thing. No, I am fanatically in love with the thing.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:45:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

We've got an XD-9 4" that is awesome. I've been looking around for a subcompact off retail price.

I think it's because lack of safties makes people feel like they're more of a man. For instance, BHD:

[wiggles finger] "this is my safety right here" or something to that effect...

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:28:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I like XD over Glock, but I like CZ or Tanfoglio over either of your two choices.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't care one way or the other, but my guess is the fear that it is one more mechanical system that can fail and prevent the pistol from working.

Didn't Browning originally design the 1911 without a grip safety and the military asked for it to be added (or something like that)?

I don't know how the grip safety on other guns works, but the XD seems like such a simple design that failure would be very unlikely. If it did fail, unless you got killed RIGHT THEN or something, I would think that it would be pretty easy to just disable it altogether. I think failing to work as a safety is more likely of a failure than having it fail to allow the pistol to fire. Here's a graphic that I made that shows a rough approximation of how the grip safety interacts with the sear on an XD. Opinions welcomed.

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:37:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Didn't Browning originally design the 1911 without a grip safety and the military asked for it to be added (or something like that)?

His original single action guns lacked a grip safety.  But as I understand it, the 1911 was a typical government contract.  That is it had specifications.  IE: Handgun must be capable of firing .45 ACP, be single action, be capable of accepting a tied lanyard, and have a side and grip safety.  I think it was in the original contract because the gun was designed for cavalrymen to use while on horseback.

Personally, I think the grip safety is a great idea.  It makes the gun much safer IMHO than say a Glock.  If you don't have a grip on the gun it won't fire. There is very little chance of a foreign object striking the trigger and causing an AD. The idea that grip safeties create mechanical risks for the operator may be true, but them it is also true that brakes make your wheels less reliable (they could get stuck).  So why not take them off while you are at it?

Paranoia will destroy ya........ the odds of a grip safety causing the gun not to fire are off in the realm of fantasy speculation.  It really has no place in a serious discussion IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Paranoia will destroy ya........ the odds of a grip safety causing the gun not to fire are off in the realm of fantasy speculation.  It really has no place in a serious discussion IMHO.

Damn grip safties are unreliable huh? Must be why all those 1911 owners are gluing down theirs too... hinking
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I have owned a SigPro 2340, traded it in on a G-word 35, and traded that overpriced POS for an XD 40. I bought the wife an XD9, and am waiting for the XD45 to come out. XD is the way to go. NRA's Handgun of the Year, BTW.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Found a place that sells XD-9C for $399... when they have 'em in stock. Same fellow is checking on one with night sights for me.

Also guys, do Glock pistols normally come with one or two magazines (G26)? I know they come with a hard case. The XD comes with 2 mags... don't know about the case.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Found a place that sells XD-9C for $399... when they have 'em in stock. Same fellow is checking on one with night sights for me.

Also guys, do Glock pistols normally come with one or two magazines (G26)? I know they come with a hard case. The XD comes with 2 mags... don't know about the case.

Mine came with a hard case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top