Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2003 11:43:08 AM EDT
I rather have a single stack in .40, but I decided against spending over $1000 for another pistol, so .45 ACP will have to do. Also, no one to my knowledge has made a 1911 in .40 cal with an external extractor as of yet. Perhaps Dan Wesson has, but I have never laid my hands on one yet to judge it's quality.

So what do you folks think? I looked at a S&W 1911 last week, and it was nice. They wouldn't let me play with the trigger though due to store policy (I'm not saying where since I may go by this week and buy the damn thing). I can send the slide to Novak's to have their extreme duty adjustable night sights installed. It's a great buy for $700 + $180 for the new sights in my opinion. Thre was a little slide-to-frame play, but not much. More importantly, the barrel-bushing fit was VERY tight. Supposedly the trigger is adjustable for length of travel, but it's not something that's easy to do since the screw is on the inside.

I've shot 3 Sig P220s, and I've had a great experience with each one (alloy frame). It's a very accurate gun, and I would buy one with night sights. I've only held a stainless steel P220 once, but it was 2 years ago. The P220 is appealing to me since it has a light rail already on the frame, and I'm used to a DA pull (for the first shot) since I shoot my S&W Model 627 a lot. Anyway, if anyone has shot the P220 and P220ST, I'd like an opinion in terms of "feel", perceived weight and how the gun handles/shoots during firing. Is the recoil impulse about the same or less?

If you go on the German web site, they offer a 9 mm kit for the P220. I would love to have one, but I wonder if Sig in America sells it.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
buy both !
just flip a coin as to which one to buy first.
i already have a 220 so i will be getting the
S&W 1911 next. i have only shot the P220.

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone on either Gunbroker.com or AuctionArms.com was selling a P220 9mm last week.

I have an older P220 ( Made in W. Germany)and not only won't I sell it I'm having it refinished with Matt Chrome slide.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Sig by a nose, IMO.
The SS frame will help tame any recoil and the SA/DA is a nice option to be mastered.
The decock feature is nice too.
Time will tell about resale value but Sigs always held up well in the past.
Downside (as usual) is mag prices, a minor detail if you are sportin' a Sig.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
P220 mags are running 30.00 for the 8 rounders.  If you find any ACT-MAG's made in Italy try them.  They are beautiful.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the 220st.  It will be easier to disassemble, you little communist, you.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get the 220st.  It will be easier to disassemble, you little communist, you.

I don't have to be a communist to be themao around here buddy

I owned a Para Ord P14-45 Ltd that I regret dearly for selling it, and taking down a 1911 is not that hard. All you need is that stupid plastic bushing wrench.

Oh, speaking of take down, does the S&W 1911 have a one piece or two piece full length guide rod? I wonder how well it shoots with the mil-spec spring guide rod.

Keep the opinions coming folks. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I would buy the S&W for two reasons: single action trigger & to help reward S&W for making a 1911.

The P-220 is a nice gun but their trigger clearly isn't a single action. Not to mention that each one looks just like the millions of other Sigs out there.

My .o2
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:52:54 AM EDT
[#8]
 Stick with the SIG.  The smith is nicely made but I have been hearing  ( and have also experienced ) the HORRENDOUS trigger pull the S and W 1911 has.  Apparently this is due to a goofy safety system ala the new Kimbers.  One exception:  Kimber can do it right. If you really want a S&W 1911 INSIST ON TRYING THAT TRIGGER FIRST.  Tell them you are willing to buy if you can try it....if they won't let you tell them to f*ck off and go somewhere else.  I think they are trying to hide the fact these things have REALLY heavy pulls.
 As much as I love 1911's and S and W  I would pass.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:54:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I would go with the SIG.  But I am also bias,  I have SIGP220ST.  I love it. The weight does help tame any recoil.  It is the most accurate of all of my handguns right out of the box.  I have only been able to shoot around 5 or 6 hundred rounds.  It is very addictive.

Now,  as far as the rail goes.  The newer P220ST has a standard rail that will make it easy to put a light on.  The older (1 or 2 yrs ago) version has a narrow rail that was for the P220ST SPORT.  The narrow rail was for mounting the barrel compensator.   I have the narrow rail.  It is my newest and favorite of all my SIGS.  For more info go to www.sigforum.com.  Any other questions please feel free to IM me.

Good Luck

By the way,  I bought mine at Gunbroker.com.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the comments. As of now, I think I'm getting the Sig. I looked at a S&W 1911, but they wouldn't let me play with the trigger . I'm going to call Sig Sauer in Germany to see if I can import a 9 mm conversion kit for the stainless model (along with extra mags, parts, etc.). I'm very upset they don't finish the job on these guns (trigger, action and stainless steel barrel) but I can fix it myself
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Buy a Springfield 1911 and dont look back.  But be warned, you cant buy just one.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:28:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I have Kimber and SA 1911's, but I carry a Sig P245.

Trigger isn't great, hard to takedown completely (spring pins), but accuracy and reliability is excellent out of the box.

Just my dime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top