Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2003 8:11:23 AM EDT
Last night, I field stripped my Armscor 1911 for the first time and gave it a good cleaning. After assembling it again (after the pain in the as* slide stop pin!!) I went to fire it this morning and it wouldn't fire. After I racked the slide, the firing pin hit the primer casing. I looked at the hammer and it was not fully seated against the firing pin stop after the trigger is pulled. The hammer rests at what looks like half cocked after you pull the trigger. Anybody know what's going on?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#1]
What exactly do you mean "field strip"?  Did you take it down to the frame with every internal part off the gun?  Sounds like "disconector-sear and hammer" not installed as a unit correctly, but only a guess.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Besides what Voodoo said, you may have to start over...this time with the book?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#3]
See if your sear spring is installed correctly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#4]
If you took the safety, hammer and sear/disconnect out, then you have it out together wrong.
If that is the case, remove the sear/disconnect, and install it with the hooks up, not the flat part.

That is why you should always dry fire it after you put a gun together.
Saves on the embarresment!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#5]
You do know it's not the 1911's fault right?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#6]
there is no reason to completey stip a gun down and this is why..........because its easy to disasemle things its another thing altogether to put them back together corectly.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Asides from pulling the slide off to clean the barrel assembly you really shouldn't need to take a 1911 down anymore than that....
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#8]
anybody have cleaning instructions with pics to post? thanks.

since the armscor distributor is where where i live, they fixed it under warranty.  apparently, it was some kind of drop spring installed in only 1911's sold in CA (even though i bought mine new in NV)  they also replaced the slide which had a hair line crack on the forward serration.  they also deburred some part to speed up the breakin process.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
anybody have cleaning instructions with pics to post? thanks

www.bobtuley.com/45/index.html
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:07:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Holy cow!
All that was found wrong?
I would have never guessed.
At least they took care of you, even though that should not have happened in the first place.
I tear mine all the way down every now and then, I can't deal with a fleck of unburned powder hiding somewhere inside.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top