Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2003 2:13:51 PM EDT
I borrowed my dad's Colt 1911 for a trip to the range, and I'd like to clean it before I return it, but I can't for the life of me get the thing apart.  

My problem is with the slide stop pin, it just will not come out.  The recoil spring/plug, and barrel bushing came out fine, but  I can't get the slide stop pin to budge.  Is there some secret trick to this that I don't know about?  Any suggestions as to what I should try?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you line up the small notch on the slide with the rear of the slide stop and push it left?
Maybe dad would rather clean it, as an error in reinserting the slidestop can damage the frames finish.
For now, at least, wipe it down with some gun oil.
Nice gesture anyway, really.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I figured out the small notch detail about two minutes after I posted the question.  Thanks for the tip though.

Dad doesn't clean, so if I don't it wasn't going to get done.  No need to worry too much about the finish, as many years of my grandfather using it for daily carry has worn away the finish in all the usual areas.  It's not real pretty, but as my range time proved today, it's a hell of a shooter.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
That slide stop pin is a b*tch to take off and then get back on.....it took almost half and hour to get it  back in.  I have a Armscor 1911.  Does this step get easier when you buy say and more expensive gun like a Kimber?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That slide stop pin is a b*tch to take off and then get back on.....it took almost half and hour to get it  back in.  I have a Armscor 1911.  Does this step get easier when you buy say and more expensive gun like a Kimber?

Not necessarily just a Kimber, virtually anything other than an Armscorp. IMO, they're the Yugo's of guns.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yes its very easy if the parts are fitting correctly. If you are doing it correctly and the parts are good you can field strip a 45 in less than 60 seconds start to finish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top