Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 1:28:20 PM EDT
Anyone here ever own one or have a friend with one? How is the quality?

Yes, I know Rock Island Armory is not the same as the government Rock Island Arsenal. Anyone know anything more about the history of the company, though?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
 Rock Islands are made by "Arms Corporation of the Philippines". They are made by computer-controlled machines on imported world-spec. steel. The quality is good; the price is good. The barrels and magazines are imported from Italy. I own an Armscor and it works fine, disassembles and reassembles fine. Much better than a Llama or Ballister. Some day I may buy a Colt, but mainly just for the name. The Rock Island/Armscor/Charles Daly (Armscor also makes the Charles Daly .45) .45s are all Armscors. Go to   http://www.armscor.net and check them out. They also make shotguns, rifles, and ammunition, and maintain gun ranges and competitive shooting teams.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:44:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Yo, Joe, dat you?

My personal opinion of the Rock Island are that they are cast pistols made in the Philipines, the same source as the Charles Daly 1911 pistols.  Had a poor reputation, but is getting better.  

I would suggest ponying up a little more $ and getting something like a Springfield Milspec.  I just got a parkerized Milspec a couple months ago.  Came out to $470 before tax and stuff.  Great pistol!  I'll bring it to a highpower match, if I can ever make one.  

They got me working on Sundays now, so for at least a couple months, I'll probably miss the ARC Highpower matches.  And I'm still waiting for that sight for my Enfield.  Hopefully I'll get that soon, and be able to work up a nice, accurate load for it.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#3]
They have favorable reviews in the August 2003 issue of Combat Handguns (In stores now!)  They tested the "standard" 1911A1 and the enhanced Medallion version.

The bassackwards thing they did was added the extended slide stop on the standard and kept the regular length slide stop on the more premium Medallion.  

Although mine, the standard 1911A1  had some warranty work in the first 80 rds (hairline crack on serration of slide and some pin causing a misfire and hammer not striking  firing pin) the guys at Armscor (U.S. distributor here in NV) fixed it fast (20 minutes) under warranty and even test fired a full magazine without any malfunctions.  I am sure the quality has improved from what I've heard in the past.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top