Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2007 2:05:39 PM EDT
How would you compare a +p 9mm/+p+ 9mm vs. 40 S&W in terms of muzzle flip and recoil ?

I cut my teeth with my dad's 1911 and Browning High Power. I foolishly went away from 9mm years ago, .45 ACP has always been my favorite. In part I left 9mm because of the 94 ban and also the fact the police were by and large ditching the caliber in favor of the .40. I am now rethinking my choice, the .40 S&W in a full sized handgun the recoil isn't as bad as in a compact such as the Glock 27. Currently the only 9mm I own is an older Browning High Power. With the Glock 27, I found it uncomfortable to shoot so I tried to compensate by changing recoil springs and shooting heavier grained bullets(180.)

At the local range with rentals, they have a "our guns,our ammo" policy, so no testing of +p/+p+ 9mm. (I could sneak it in I know, but I have good relationship with them I wouldn't want to ruin.) I am reluctant to shoot +p out of my heirloom Browning High Power.I want to shoot the premium 9mm self-defense loads and take advantage of cheaper ammo for practice. However I don't want to ditch the Glock 27, and then have the same issue with a 9mm +p/+p+. I plan on looking at another Glock 19(sold), 26, and CZ 75B which should all be capable of handling the hotter loads.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Love the 9mm...
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#3]
My favorite bar none is the .45, I own 3 .45's, HK USP, Springfield XD Compact and Glock 36.  The .40 S&W is a great compromise between the capacity of a 9mm and the .45. I feel recently the .45 has really evolved with the newer products, as has the 9mm with newer ammo choices. I ended up seldom using the .40 S&W at all. There is no question the .40 can be combat effective. With handguns in particular it comes down to personal preference, I can do faster follow ups, am more accurate and more comfortable with an 30+ year old High Power than a late 90's Glock .40 S&W. There are other .40 on the market such as the CZ and HK USP Compact which I haven't shot. That being said because I want only 2 primary SD handguns I am pretty sure I am going to ditch the .40 S&W altogether for 9mm pistols. I intend to take advantage of the more modern pistols,cheaper practice ammo and newer performance ammo choices while keeping an eye on the maturation of the .357 SIG.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Own two 45's, six 9's, five 38's, one 357, two 22's, and NO 40's.  I've always found the 40 to have a very snappy and not terribly pleasant recoil.  Never been convinced the ballistics are that much better then a 9 (and no you not going to convince me here).  If I feel the need for something more than a 9 I go 45.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top