Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2003 3:42:16 PM EDT
Anybody know of a way to prevent "holster wear"? No matter what type I inquire about at the stores I hear the same retoric from the seller every time -- "It will eventually start to put wear marks on your finish."  
I have a nickel 70 series and an OD Green Springfield.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
That's kind of like:
Q: How do you prevent your car from getting more miles?
A: Don't drive it.
If the gun is being used it will show signs of use.  If you want to get rid of those signs then you'd have to get it re-finished.  By then it's easier just to buy a new gun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Very accurate answer.  Some holsters will wear more than others, but they will all wear just about any finish.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Lube it an leave it in the safe - only cure for holster wear.

I rather like my holster wear.  It adds character.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]
As the others have said you can only prevent holster wear by NEVER putting a pistol into a holster.

You can minimize holster wear by gettinga  HIGH QUALITY cow or horsehide holster that fits the gun well..  This does not mean a $45 Galco and it certainly does not mean anything made out of nylon.  Think Kramer, Milt Sparks, etc.  Think $100 plus.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Would stainless not show any holster wear?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Stainless gets scratched like any other metal.

Kydex holsters are hell on finishes also.  The OD Armory Coat is pretty tough but will show signs of wear eventually.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#7]
the tires on my truck are showing wear too.  just the way it is.  however, exterior wear on a gun finish will have no effect on the guts.  

have an old K19 that appears to have metal wear at the muzzle.  some folks are aghast that i have allowed this to happen  i am aghast that they think it is important.  should have put a pedometer on that thing.

don't worry about it.  be proud of it.  i am.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No matter what type I inquire about at the stores I hear the same retoric from the seller every time -- "It will eventually start to put wear marks on your finish."

That's because they're telling you the truth.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell, after all these years I'm showing signs of wear.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Safariland makes some of their holsters with an internal velvet/felt like lining.  I use one and haven't noticed any wear on my guns finish.

I've also glued felt to the inside of a kydex holster and got the same affect.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
As the others have said you can only prevent holster wear by NEVER putting a pistol into a holster.

You can minimize holster wear by gettinga  HIGH QUALITY cow or horsehide holster that fits the gun well..  This does not mean a $45 Galco and it certainly does not mean anything made out of nylon.  Think Kramer, Milt Sparks, etc.  Think $100 plus.

A Sparks Summer Special II will run about 65.00 from Brownells IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Phil, Roadrunner and W-W.   Thank you for your straight answers.  Very appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#14]
A good horsehide holster will be a little softer inside than a cowhide holster, so this may help slow down the wear and tear.

Nylon is also pretty easy on a gun's finish but I never met a nylon holster I much cared for.  Few of them retain the pistol very well without use of a thumbstrap.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Safariland makes some of their holsters with an internal velvet/felt like lining.  I use one and haven't noticed any wear on my guns finish.

I've also glued felt to the inside of a kydex holster and got the same affect.

Dont take it out into the dirt.  It gets imbedded into the lining.  Talk about holster wear then
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
And you guys rag on Glocks. I have had my Glock 19 for 3.5yrs now. In and out different types of holster. From nylon to kydex to leather.  Has not shown any type of finish wear on it. That Tennifer finish is just awesome.

Really?  My 19 shows some holster wear and I've only had it for about 2.5 years now.  It's very minimal wear, but it's definetly there.  But who cares? It's a glock.  Then there are the spots on the frame that are worn smooth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top