Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2003 8:09:44 PM EDT
My father bought a Dan Wesson pointman major a few months ago, he spent big money, the gun has been back to the manufacturer twice for FTF. Although a nice looking firearm, the bugs are'nt out of it yet. The guide rod system they have is a joke, it is continuously loosening as you shoot it, the factory says to put some fingernail polish on the threads.....on a gun that costs that kind of money! I told him to find a Colt Gold Cup. They should have put some of the effort they used in engraving their name on the side into engineering. I will admit that when it shoots it does put 'em in there O.K.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
A prime example of why to not buy from a firearm company that goes in & out of business.

Hope he gets some of his money back, anyway.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm.  Up until this I had heard only good things about the DW 1911's.  I thought they were relatively cheap?

Their suggestion of fingernail polish is really just a substitute for loc-tite.  I don't see the problem there.  Going back for FTFs is another matter.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:36:55 AM EDT
[#3]
That isn't an expensive firearm by 1911 standards. (SA loaded $650 DW Pointman $650 Kimber Classic $725 Colt $750)

For the price I reccomend throwing the guide rod out and buying a $15 replacement 1 piece rod.

I bought 2 Springfields with problems that would make that look great. One jammed 43 times out of 50 rds.

From what I hear the DW 1911's are accurate and if you don't buy the Cheapo models you get a fitted Jarvis barrel and hand fitted frame to slide.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#4]
A fellow board member actually works for Dan Wesson. His board name is Counterstrike. Drop him a line about this.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#5]
i like the advice not to buy firearms from a co. that gos in and out of beeswaxiness!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top