Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2003 5:28:08 PM EDT
Alright, I feel like an idiot, and really hope that I did not mess up this unfired G26 by screwing around with it.

This is basically what I did. I felt some rattling in the slide, very minimal. Took out the guide rod and spring, removed the barrel, and slid the slide back on to see if it was poor fit with the rails. It slid back and now I cannot get it slide off the frame, even when I hold down the two tabs for dissasembly. It feels like it is catching on the trigger mechanism when I try and slide it forward, and I notice that if I push it a little forward it tries to reset the trigger. What should I do?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you pull the trigger?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, I just got it apart and put it back together. While pushing forward with a small amount of force, I pulled back on the trigger and it sounded like a normal dry fire. In conjunction with the clank, the slide move forward beyond the point of resistance. I have reassembled and test fired. Everything seems to be working fine now.

However the thing that concerned me in the first place, before I started messing around, is this. The pistol fell a few feet onto a carpeted floor. Did not worry me. After all, it is a gun,a Glock,and not my AR. However when I picked it up and shook it around a bit I noticed that what used to be a noticably tight fitting slide now wiggles side to side a bit. I remeber in the past being impressed at how tight the slide fit to the frame and that there was no rattle. What's the deal now, and is this normal for a Glock slide to frame fit?

Lastly, should I be worried that something may have been damaged in the first episode? It seems like the trigger pull is lighter now.
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Think about the violent action the slide takes everytime the gun is fired, a drop on a floor can't even come close to comparing to that. I have dropped my G27 and G26 a few times each and wouldn't worry about it at all. Both of my slides move just a hair side to side.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The reason you couldn't take the slide off is that you have to drop the hammer on a Glock before you can take the slide off. That's one of the qualities of them that worry me. They are so "user friendly" that people who shouldn't even look at a gun sideways go buy them because they're so easy to use, and then they end up screwing themselves over by blowing a hand or something off. Good guns for the thinking shooter, though. I like the mini Glocks. (I'm not saying you're an idiot for not being able to take your gun apart and mess with it, I'm saying the people who blow a finger off are idiots.)
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Aren't the slide rails made of sheet metal? Sure, the slide takes a back and forth beating when the gun is fired, but that shouldn't really stress the rails from side to side. If the gun was tight to begin with and after the drop it is now loose, I would guess that the slide hit the floor and put a sideways force on the rails, thus bending one of them inward slightly. You could try gently bending the rails further outward in order to tighted it up some, but be advised that some Glocks seem to have a tendency with the slide rails snapping right off. You probably shouldn't do this on my advice alone, it's just a thought. Don't blame me if they snap off! Glock was doing a "free upgrade" last time I checked, so you might call to see if yours is subject to this.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe whatever side to side movement exists now might have gone unoticed before, though even if there is some change it seems to be within reasonable limits. Fortuntaly, I have one of the unaffected Glock frames.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I highly doubt a 3 foot drop on carpeting would tweak any handgun, let alone a glock. I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:41:56 AM EDT
[#8]
It's hard to get used to

1Check chamber

2 Pull trigger

3 move slide 1/8inch back and pull down on both takedown levers.

4. slide the slide forward and off

(if you go back to far the trigger will re-set and you will have to restart at step 1.)

My brother G19 rattled like a baby shaker but it would shoot 3.5inch groups at 25yds
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#9]
THIS IS WHAT SCARES ME ABOUT ANYONE(SORRY NO INSULT IMPLYED BUT TAKE IT FOR WHAT ITS WORTH) OWNING A GUN.for the mechanicaly inept .its a dangerous thing to mix ineptness with a gun with bulits.....
as stated above you have to drop the hammer (pull tiger)to pull off the slide.of course making sure its unloaded
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's hard to get used to

1Check chamber

2 Pull trigger

3 move slide 1/8inch back and pull down on both takedown levers.

4. slide the slide forward and off

I have a friend who forgot the underlined step above and put a .357Sig through the side of his hand.

Quite messy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#12]
My brother would come home from landscaping and practice drawing his Glock before he showered (sweat normally causes rust).

He barely ever shot it but he liked to play around with it (unloaded of couse)

He never cleaned his Glock till the day he sold it and it never rusted.

I was impressed because at the time I was wiping my Browning HP (blued) with Hoppes once every one to two weeks.

When he cleaned it with a toothbrush and hoppes the day before he sold it we both marveled at how much newer it looked with all the carbon and crap cleaned out of the serrations and lettering.

I had no respect for Glock and now I do.

That said they still should have a safety but the safety sold through midway that pops behind the trigger is a decent cure for that. (you put it on a string lanyard tied to the trigger guard ) and when you want to fire you push it out from behind the trigger- before you holster you put it back in
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I too dont think your drop will hurt it.

I carry a G23 and once I was in a public bathroom stall crapping.

Well, since I have a Insdide the waist holdter when I take my pants off i have to hold my gun somwhere, I tuk it under my armpit.

Well this time I wasnt squeezing hard enough and the G23 fell out of the holdter under my arm and hit the very hard cement floor. it was very loud!

Never had a problem with it though..

To this day i chuckle to my self wonder what the other people in the bathroom were thinking when they heard what sounded like a large chunk of meteal hitting the floor.....

"Damn, I wonder what he had for lunch"
or
"What stool hardner was he usung?"

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Good story M4. I appreciate all the advice guys. The thing I did though had nothing to do with improper dissasembly procedures. I learned how to strip the gun properly on the first day, as I do with all of my firearms. The mistake I made was putting the slide back on without barrel or guide rod in place, in order to check the slide to frame fit. Therafter I could not get the slide off without it reseting the trigger. The problem may very well have been without the resistance of the spring that I could not get it back just that 1/8 of an inch, far enough to unlock it, but not far enough to reset the trigger. I was also aprehensive of pulling the trigger without the slide properly seated.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#16]
The worst part is watching bigbore punch half-dollar holes with his G21 just one mag after the mud stomping incident...That is no B.S.

If ever you think there is something to be worried about, remember, IT'S A GLOCK!

Be well!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#17]
On disassembling Glocks, should you happen to be friendly with a US Customs agent, ask how many ND's they had when they switched from S&W to Glock.  To all those that think that LE is a more responsible gunhandler JUST ASK(and don't laugh too hard!!)
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:26:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That said they still should have a safety but the safety sold through midway that pops behind the trigger is a decent cure for that. (you put it on a string lanyard tied to the trigger guard ) and when you want to fire you push it out from behind the trigger- before you holster you put it back in

Doesn't that violate a fundamental rule of gun-handling? Something about not putting your hand in the trigger guard until you're readdy to shoot unless you KNOW that the gun is unloaded?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#19]
From what you described, it sounds like you're hearing the firing pin rattling around. It's supposed to do that. As far as the slide moving a bit on the frame, don't worry about it. I'm a Glock Armorer and Instructor. Take the slide off the frame and shake the slide. Do you hear the same sound? You should, it means the firing pin is free in the channel like it should be. If you don't hear that rattle, it means the firing pin is getting gunked up in the channel. It should be clean and dry in there. No oil or solvents. When you take the slide off the frame and shake it, depress the firing pin safety. (Thats the silver button protruding up through the inside of the slide.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:40:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll never understand why people think that Glocks are anymore ND/AD prone than a DA wheelgun or a DAO pistol. It just doesn't make any sense to me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'll never understand why people think that Glocks are anymore ND/AD prone than a DA wheelgun or a DAO pistol. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

I would guess that a lot of it has to do with the fact that you have to pull the trigger in order to field-strip it. Of course, the XD is the same way, and, if you don't know to check the chamber and the mag well before you pull the trigger, well, maybe you should look towards another gun (or no gun at all).
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Not to put too fine a point on it, but I have carried a .40 Glock 27 for a few years now and my real "safety" is my training (and my holster). I disliked the Glock 19 I fired years ago and disliked the .40 S&W round, but today I am a firm beleiver in this firearm and the caliber.

In one word-TRAINING. When concealing my Beretta 92f/s got to be a pain, my NRA instructor knew the Glock and now so do I. Training and practice will overcome any of these issues. Even brain surgeons couldn't read at some point in their lives...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top