Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2007 10:17:00 AM EDT
I currently carry a Beretta 92D (DAO) Centurion IWB with no problem.  I'm really squirrely about the double-tap potential of the double action, so I think I'm going to switch.  On my budget, I'll have to sell the Beretta, so first question:

How much can I expect to get for a good condition 92D with some finish wear on the barrel?

I have >1000 rounds 9mm to burn and am fairly comfortable with this cartridge as a carry caliber, so I think I'll stick with it.

Given the size of my current gun as the maximum allowable, Can anybody give me recommendations for a full-size cary 9mm?

I've shot a G17 and disliked the grip angle and hated the 'cutting' feeling that particular trigger safety had.  Not much experience with anything else.  I hear XDs are good, but I'm open to anything.

I want to buy used, probably, and my price range is whatever I can get for the 92D and maybe $100 more.  I would imagine this puts me in the $300-500 price range.

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#1]
CZ75--full size or compact.  You can carry it condition one w/ safety or condition 2 with hammer down if you want to go back to da/sa setup.  It is the most comfortable pistol out there.  And it falls easily within your price range.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Go with the XD.  I have two, a Service size (4in. barrel), and a Subcompact (3 in. barrel).  Both are accurate, reliable, easy to shoot weapons.  I too don't like Glock's because of the grip angle.  Retail is usually right under $500 to slightly more.  I paid under $500 new for my XD Service from a local dealer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you looking for a DA/SA , a glock like trigger, or carry in condition one?

Hk USPs give you lots of options, and are excellent but out of your price range unless you'd happen across a good deal on one used.

The FNP pistols seem be be very well regarded and have a great feel (I haven't shot one) but do not have a safety, just decocker.  On the plus side is good mag capacity and they come with 3 mags, plus are lightweight and inexpensive new.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are you looking for a DA/SA , a glock like trigger, or carry in condition one?

Hk USPs give you lots of options, and are excellent but out of your price range unless you'd happen across a good deal on one used.

The FNP pistols seem be be very well regarded and have a great feel (I haven't shot one) but do not have a safety, just decocker.  On the plus side is good mag capacity and they come with 3 mags, plus are lightweight.

To be honest, I'm not very familiar with anything but DAO and DA/SA, so I guess I don't really have a preference.  Just not a DAO trigger.

thanks
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#6]
my first vote was G19...but if the grip doesnt fit

then my next vote would be the XD or a BHP/CZ
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've shot a G17 and disliked the grip angle and hated the 'cutting' feeling that particular trigger safety had.  Not much experience with anything else.  I hear XDs are good, but I'm open to anything.

Take a look at the S&W M&P 9mm....

Personally I find it to be a much better fit for me than the Glock pistols. They can be found in the 400-500 dollar price range, although some people are trying to get as much as 700 bucks for them.

Gunbroker has several listed like this one:

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=66361662

The XDs are also supposed to be decent, but I don't have much experience with them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0071.jpg?t=1172609247

Personally I find it to be a much better fit for me than the Glock pistols. They can be found in the 400-500 dollar price range, although some people are trying to get as much as 700 bucks for them.

The XDs are also supposed to be decent, but I don't have much experience with them.

I haven't shot an M&P but they do have a great feel, and I really like the low bore axis.  I'm thinking about one in .45 with the safety when they come out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does the trigger on these damn things break in?  I went to a local gunstore not too long ago to fondle one, and the best way I can describe the trigger...is like tearing velcro away slowly.

I have never felt such a gritty/sticky/shitty trigger in my entire life...and it wasn't just one of them that had that problem.  I'd squeeze the trigger...it would all of the sudden feel like it was going to break, then slip some more...then finally it would break.

As far as what handgun I recommend...go USPc or G19, or save up until you can.

If one doesn't fit your hand, try the other.  Doesn't get much better than those 2.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#10]
CZ compact
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

damn, that's a sexy gun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Does the trigger on these damn things break in?  I went to a local gunstore not too long ago to fondle one, and the best way I can describe the trigger...is like tearing velcro away slowly.

Yes, they do break in after a bit of wear.

You can also fix much of the gritty feel yourself by polishing the trigger bar.

There are also pretty easy DIY trigger job instructions out there, as well as people doing good trigger jobs on them for very reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Glock 17 and Browning Hi Power are the 9mm pistols I prefer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/thedoctors308/packheat.jpg

all those women, and your dishes aren't done  

i carry everything from a subcomact xd in 9m - xd service 357sig, to gov 1911 in comptac c-tac holsters
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never felt such a gritty/sticky/shitty trigger in my entire life...and it wasn't just one of them that had that problem.  I'd squeeze the trigger...it would all of the sudden feel like it was going to break, then slip some more...then finally it would break.

As far as what handgun I recommend...go USPc or G19, or save up until you can.

If one doesn't fit your hand, try the other.  Doesn't get much better than those 2.

i said asked the same thing on my m&p 40.   when you at the range shooting you don't notice it  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i carry everything from a subcomact xd in 9m - xd service 357sig, to gov 1911 in comptac c-tac holsters

And he paid 19.99 at the thrift store for the jeans
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
damn, that's a sexy gun.

A lot of Glock guys are switching to the M&P. From all accounts it seems to be a reliable and durable pistol. Most folks find the ergonomics better than the Glock and they find that they shoot it a bit better than the Glock even if they don't necessarily like the trigger at first.

I have owned about one of every type of handgun on the market (save for the Kahr and XD pistols) and thusfar the M&P is working out better for me than any of my other polymer handguns. (Including my USP...)
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
CZ75--full size or compact.  You can carry it condition one w/ safety or condition 2 with hammer down if you want to go back to da/sa setup.  It is the most comfortable pistol out there.  And it falls easily within your price range.

FWI CDNN has CZ75's used for $249.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Agreed! Ergonomics a bit better than an XD, exponentially better than glock or anything else Ive handled.  I have two cz75b and sp01.  75b would probably conceal better, but dont know much about that.  If you buy one well used, the trigger will be much better/smoother than brand new.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really should find some girls who will wash dishes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top