Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2007 4:33:03 PM EDT
I'm getting a handgun for my sister's upcoming birthday - she requested a .22 because she's super accurate with it but it's for self defense, so I'm trying to up the impact a bit yet keep the low recoil

Anyone got some recommendations for a small gun with tiny kick that's pretty accurate and can take down the bad guys?

I'm thinking .32ACP or .357 smith & wesson (I heard these can also shoot .38special with no modifications)

Any other suggestions?

Also, to complicate matters, she lives in California with their copius amount of gun regulations. I'm pretty sure this means no high cap mags.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I would skip the 32 acp and go to the 380 first. I have a NAA 32 and if the grip isn't right it will stove pipe. My wife can't shoot it.
I bought her a Bersa 380 to shoot and she loves it. Next I will have her shooting my 9mm Glock 17.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Get her the 22lr let her progress in power at her own speed, don't scare her off with a gun she won't shoot or can't afford ammo for.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get her the 22lr let her progress in power at her own speed, don't scare her off with a gun she won't shoot or can't afford ammo for.

wOrd

Maybe spend some big bucks and buy her a CZ75 and the Kadet .22lr conversion upper for it.  Then she will have the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would skip the 32 acp and go to the 380 first. I have a NAA 32 and if the grip isn't right it will stove pipe. My wife can't shoot it.
I bought her a Bersa 380 to shoot and she loves it. Next I will have her shooting my 9mm Glock 17.

+1 on the Bersa
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#6]
What about a .22 mag wheel gun?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Since she's in California, carrying is not an option (not legally, anyway) so we can probably leave the little guns out.

The CZ-75B + Kadet kit does seem smart to me.

Get 'er an UZI.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#8]
bring her with you when you get it, let her choose.

I've seen multiple guys buy guns for their girlfriend/wife/sister based on their needs, and not the end users needs.

she wont shoot it if it doesnt fit her hand, if she doesnt like the look of it, if it doesnt match her outfit...... whatever her complaint may be.

I've seen guys buy guns for girls based on look alone, only to try to return it later when they want function not looks. also the other side, bought for function and the girl wants look.

no different than someone buying you a gun without your input, just say you're a 1911 guy and someone gets you a glock. chances are that the glock will sit unused because you dont like it. their giftgiving dollar would have been way better spent with some input from you.

just my .02, and good luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#9]
S&W 617 4" Easy to operate , shoot , and maintain .

S&W 617  4"
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:10:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I agree with Hineline.......and, per your own post, she's asking for a .22.....

I'd by her a 22/45.

They're inexpensive, fun to shoot and more accurate than most people can shoot them. If she doesn't like it, it can be readily traded off on something else.

Besides, if she likes it, you'll have a ready-made "migration path" to a centerfire handgun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Recommendations for sister's b-day present:  

A Glock 26 9mm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top