Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2007 5:52:41 AM EDT
i have always thought using primer fired rubber bullets would be a good way to practice in the house. i don't even know if they sell these any more but i was wondering if any one out there has used these and if they are worth trying out. thanks, steve
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm certainly no expert on the matter of rubber bullets, but I can pretty much guarantee that shooting rubber bullets inside would still be dangerous. I have some primer only .22 rounds I use for varmint control and they still get up to 400-500 fps- plenty fast to still do damage.
Brownelles has this little thing that goes in a bbl and emits a short laser beam when it's hit by the firing pin. Might be a decent way to practice indoors.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The problem with using rubber bullets to practice is that you really aren't practicing to shoot real ammo, you are practicing to shoot rubber bullets.

The POI will very likely be different, you will have to cycle the slide every time, and that's if they even feed reliably.  

When they come out with a method of practice that will cycle the action, feed reliably, generate the same amount of recoil as the real thing, without putting holes in my stuff, then THAT would be worthwhile.

Frankly your time and effort is better spent by practicing holster presentations, or dry firing to ingrain the fundamentals.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Frankly your time and effort is better spent by practicing holster presentations, or dry firing to ingrain the fundamentals.

That isn't as cool though!

I really wish that simunitions setups were cheap....
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Back in the 6 gun days, the serious shooters would use primer fired wax loads to practice indoors.
Bill Jordan was a big proponent of this.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Back in the 6 gun days, the serious shooters would use primer fired wax loads to practice indoors.
Bill Jordan was a big proponent of this.

I can imagine that being tough to clean...

There was a thing at the fair where you had to quick draw and shoot a wax bullet at this plate-sized target, to see how good of a time you could get. It hasn't been there for a few years though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#6]
"wax loads" my dad told me back in the day in texas, him and his friends had gun fights useing wax bullets. he liked wearing an a white cowboy suites too
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:32:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:39:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When they come out with a method of practice that will cycle the action, feed reliably, generate the same amount of recoil as the real thing, without putting holes in my stuff, then THAT would be worthwhile.

Simunitions?

(for 9mms anyway)...

Or are they still hard to get?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:34:59 AM EDT
[#9]
As far as i know, simunition is still illegal for civilians.  I bought a blue glock (simunition specific) at a police auction a couple years ago and they showed up saying they needed it back after about a month because it was illegal for civilians to own.

SW
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i have always thought using primer fired rubber bullets would be a good way to practice in the house. i don't even know if they sell these any more but i was wondering if any one out there has used these and if they are worth trying out. thanks, steve

I do it in the garage all the time.. I used a thick blanket as a backstop.

I'm using these

X-Ring Rubber Bullets 38 Caliber

I also use wax..

If you do it just make sure you hog out the primer hole and keep that brass separate from your regular brass..
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:23:35 AM EDT
[#11]
wax can be fun. plus it is pretty simple and cheap to do. i use old brass not fit to reload anymore. for 45acp im trying out plastic muzzle loading sabots as a reusable, cleaner, option. still working the bugs out. i may wind up turning out some plastic plugs, like the ones speer used to make. have not seen those in a long time.

edit to add that if you are shooting indoors, use those green indoor primers, ventilate the area or something like that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#12]
What pdg45acp said.  The rubber bullets are nice because they donlt make such a mess in the gun and they are reusable.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm using these

I also use wax..

If you do it just make sure you hog out the primer hole and keep that brass separate from your regular brass..

Why do you need to open up the primer hole?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm using these

I also use wax..

Why do you need to open up the primer hole?

According to the Midway site:

Enlarging the flash holes is recommended for revolvers to prevent primer setback.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 3:22:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Airsoft would be a great tool for simulations inside.........IMO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top