Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2003 7:48:18 PM EDT
Has anybody purchased a new Kimber TLE, the one modeled after the LAPD SWAT version? Just wondered if anybody has any thoughts on the gun?
Link Posted: 3/4/2003 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#1]
If one were to buy a Kimber this would be the one to get. IMO it’s absolutely the best buy in the Kimber line up and the night sights and front strap checkering is worth the extra cost.

Link Posted: 3/4/2003 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#2]
got a pic?
Link Posted: 3/4/2003 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#3]
What sort of price could one expect these to go for?
Link Posted: 3/4/2003 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC, the price on the TLEs are about $799. They look just like plain Jane blued Kimbers but with 30lpi front strap checkering.
Link Posted: 3/4/2003 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer 20lpi front strap checkering...

Kimbers for sale:
http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=88&t=157652&w=myTopicPop
Link Posted: 3/4/2003 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#6]
And it has Meprolite night sight inserts.  I think Trijicon makes a much higher quality night sight insert IMHO.  Ive seen too many Meps work out of their mounts.

Link Posted: 3/4/2003 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
And it has Meprolite night sight inserts.  I think Trijicon makes a much higher quality night sight insert IMHO.  Ive seen too many Meps work out of their mounts.

Yup, I’ll agree with that. Trijicon's inserts are better, IMO. There were quite a few reports of  the front inserts on Kimbers going dark way before their time... I’m not sure they ever got that completely sorted out. None the less the TLE is still a good buy.

Link Posted: 3/4/2003 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
The TLE:

LAPD SWAT guys get one without the light for patrol, and one with for SWAT duty.
Link Posted: 3/4/2003 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Picked mine up on Saturday. Front strap checkering is great and along with rubber grips it is awesome. Haven't fired it yet. It was $800 but this is the People's Republic of NJ. Buying as many pistols as I can afford before the NJ "Smart Gun" BS goes into effect.
Link Posted: 3/4/2003 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Picked up mine on Monday. $789 and worth every penny. Best fit of any handgun I've owned. The checkering is really nice. I don't care about the night sights one way or the other, but that price for this gun and I consider them a free bonus.
Link Posted: 3/24/2003 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Bought mine last Wednesday for $749 + tax.  $801 out the door.  So far I've put 100 rounds through it.  I love it!!  Can't believe I waited so long to buy a 1911.  It fits my hand like it was made for it.  Can't wait to get back out on the range with it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Thought I'd revive this again, rather than start my own.
Any further thoughts on the TLE?  I won't buy a Springfield, so don't bother suggesting that.
Is the TLE worth it over the base Kimber?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, I think they are worth it over the standard Custom models... if you are into function over cosmetics.  It has cheap machined 300 lpi checkering and Mep night sights but they do work well and mine has been very reliable in past 2,000 rounds.  

If you want to test drive some Kimbers, I got a Custom Target, TLE and Ultra Carry you can play with.

Contact me, I'm Rug at FSN ;-)    
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thought I'd revive this again, rather than start my own.
Any further thoughts on the TLE?  I won't buy a Springfield, so don't bother suggesting that.
Is the TLE worth it over the base Kimber?

I just got mine back from the custom shop - had it refinished. Looks extra sweet now!

I havent had any problems with the sights, they glow, they work, and I havent needed to shoot anyone in low light yet. The gun is VERY tight out of the box and still is pretty tight even after 400 rounds.

The checkering is great, it lets you have a VERY solid grip on the gun. My only complaint is that after 2-3 boxes, the inside of your fingers are a tad callused from the checkering chewing up your epidermis on every shot. The front serrations usually cost about $100 for a gunsmith to do, the checkering and the night sights are add to the deal too. Extended alluminum magwell, 20LPI on the backstrap/mainspring housing, and the sweetest factory trigger I've ever seen (Factory says 5 lbs, I swear mine is extra crisp at 3.5) - you've got one hell of a gun.

Too bad I'm getting rid of it. What part of FL you in? We might be able to work something out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:46:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Rug, you're the whole reason I'm even considering the TLE.  I found a guy (hope he still has some left) that is selling them for $735 NIB shipped with 2 extra mags.
Dukeofearl I'm in Ft. Lauderdale.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:20:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Picked one up a few month back, it is proving to be a favorite pistol.Gun is very tight NIB but is still smooth and great fit after shooting. Have put about 500 rds through and it is superb. NIB with 1 mag $709 + tax. thought it was great price for a great pistol. I like mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top