Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 6:53:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry the PT-111 Pro.

Considered the .45, but I like the 9. With +P, it's no slouch in performance, and 14 rounds in a package that small is very nice. Feels like a full size gun, but tucks easily. Nice trigger, great sights, and it's reliable as can be.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
doesnt anyone else have input on these handguns
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I wish I had more to offer. I bought a PT-145 earlier this month and have yet to fire it. Lack of time or crap weather. Take your pick.

FWIW, I do have a KelTec P-11 that is my "just drop it in your pocket" pistol. It's okay, but the long and heavy DAO trigger sucks compared to the Taurus' striker fired trigger. When you try the Taurus at the fun shop, make sure you rack the slide first, because that's the trigger pull you will use. When you cycle the slide (chamber the first round), it catches the striker and "cocks" it, so the actual trigger pull just has to get the block out of the way and release the striker. Some folks judge the trigger pull by pulling it w/o cycling the slide first. That pull will be most unimpressive and might make you pass on an otherwise decent trigger. Also, that long heavier pull = second strike capability, which is nice too. If I get a chance to put a couple hundred rounds through the PT-145 this weekend, I'll do a follow up.

On your rundown of P11 attributes, you left one off. They take high-cap S&W magazines from the 59XX and 69XX series pistols. Fills out the grip a bit better too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I don't have those but bought a PT1911 recently and just love the damn thing.

I own a $2000 custom shop .45 and wish I had 4 PT1911's

They thought of everything and fits my hand just so.

YMMV

ARDog
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I had an early p11 and ended up selling it, it was reliable, but I could not hit anything with it at 7 yards, much less 15, no matter the ammo I tried.  I feel I should be able to confidently make a head shot at 7 yards and the p11 was not up to the task.

It might have been that particular gun because no one else I had shoot it could make it hit anything either. but I suspect the trigger had something to do with it.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish I had more to offer. I bought a PT-145 earlier this month and have yet to fire it. Lack of time or crap weather. Take your pick.

FWIW, I do have a KelTec P-11 that is my "just drop it in your pocket" pistol. It's okay, but the long and heavy DAO trigger sucks compared to the Taurus' striker fired trigger. When you try the Taurus at the fun shop, make sure you rack the slide first, because that's the trigger pull you will use. When you cycle the slide (chamber the first round), it catches the striker and "cocks" it, so the actual trigger pull just has to get the block out of the way and release the striker. Some folks judge the trigger pull by pulling it w/o cycling the slide first. That pull will be most unimpressive and might make you pass on an otherwise decent trigger. Also, that long heavier pull = second strike capability, which is nice too. If I get a chance to put a couple hundred rounds through the PT-145 this weekend, I'll do a follow up.

On your rundown of P11 attributes, you left one off. They take high-cap S&W magazines from the 59XX and 69XX series pistols. Fills out the grip a bit better too.

If you shoot it PLEASE fill me in on how it shoots....Id really love to know.

I just went to a local shop, and the owner really put a different spin on things.
He said he didnt like compact .45's becuase they where loud, short site base, and jumped alot making them inacurate.  He also "GUERENTEED" me, that if i chose the PT 145 that I wouldnt like it.
To address what he said:
I dont care about how loud it is, im half def anyway from my car, so that doesnt bother me
Short site base:  I want a smaller gun so no matter if its a .45 or a 9mm its gonna be an issue regardless
Jumps too much:  Can somoene with experience with a compact .45 chime in here??? Is it that bad. (i shoot my DAO s&w .40 and my .45 1911 ALL the time, and their kick is not bad at all, so if you could compare the kick of a compact to those I would appreciate it)
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a PT145 a few years back after less than 500 rounds the trigger bar or whatever the piece is called snapped. I sent it back to Taurus in new condition soaked in oil and received it a few months later completely dry and covered with surface rust. I sold it on gunbroker for a loss but was happy to be rid of it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I have, use and carry a P11 almost every day!

It is 100% reliable, can use smith 69xx or 59xx series mags, light weight, easy to shoot and I trust it with my life.  I looked at the PT111, 140 and 145 but I did not like how they felt.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I had a PT145 a few years back after less than 500 rounds the trigger bar or whatever the piece is called snapped. I sent it back to Taurus in new condition soaked in oil and received it a few months later completely dry and covered with surface rust. I sold it on gunbroker for a loss but was happy to be rid of it.

Big difference between the old PT145s and the new ones.  I got a new Mil Pro and it is great. You can't beat it as a carry piece.  About the size of a Glock 26 but packs 10+1 45 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:33:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...If you shoot it PLEASE fill me in on how it shoots....Id really love to know.

I just went to a local shop, and the owner really put a different spin on things.
He said he didnt like compact .45's becuase they where loud, short site base, and jumped alot making them inacurate.  He also "GUERENTEED" me, that if i chose the PT 145 that I wouldnt like it.
To address what he said:
I dont care about how loud it is, im half def anyway from my car, so that doesnt bother me
Short site base:  I want a smaller gun so no matter if its a .45 or a 9mm its gonna be an issue regardless
Jumps too much:  Can somoene with experience with a compact .45 chime in here??? Is it that bad. (i shoot my DAO s&w .40 and my .45 1911 ALL the time, and their kick is not bad at all, so if you could compare the kick of a compact to those I would appreciate it)

I'll be sure to post a follow up if I do get a chance to shoot.

As to loud, kick, etc., he's probably in the right ball park.

The barrel is barely over 3" long, and that's from the muzzle to the breach face. That's not much space to burn the powder in a standard .45 round, so yeah, it will probably bark pretty loud.

Sight radius is just over 5", which is not that big of an issue. Any really compact handgun is going to have a sight radius close to that, no matter who makes it. The Heine Straight 8 sights are pretty decent, and they're screwed down so that might help with keeping them from drifting due to recoil.

Speaking of recoil, since so much of that pistol is plastic, I expect it will kick pretty good too. However, when I took it apart to detail clean it (1st thing I always do with any new purchase), I noticed how heavy the slide was and how beefy the recoil springs seemed to be. This made me feel better after I looked "under the hood". I suspect there will be particular loads that this pistol will handle much better than others. If it were a full size .45, load choice would not matter that much.

I'm looking forward to trying it out. I approached the Taurus (my first one) with much trepidation. I'm not a gun snob, but I found myself trying hard not to look down my nose at a 10+1 compact .45 that could be had for as little as $350 brand new.

Will it compare with my H/K's or SIGs? Who knows. I seriously doubt it will take the abuse and the sheer number of rounds that the others could, but I want to give it a fair chance to stand on it's own merit and not rush to judgment based on what others have to say. You hear both sides. Some people love them and some hate them. Also, keep in mind that for everything you can "idiot proof" there's an idiot.

Also, you might give some serious consideration to the 9mm Taurus (PT-111?). Recoil, sound, etc., won't be as bad as the .45 and you will be able to practice for a lot less money.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#11]

I carry a PT-140 daily ... I love it. It is a lot of firepower in a small package. 10+1 .40 cal. goodness.  It is not super accurate but it is not suppose to be. It is suppose to be a close quarters defense weapon.
 Because it is small and light weight I don't have a problem carrying it at all, and it is reliable and goes BOOM every time I pull the trigger. It also has a safety ... and a keylock to disable the firing pin totally. (Children)
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...If you shoot it PLEASE fill me in on how it shoots....Id really love to know.

To address what he said:

I'll be sure to post a follow up if I do get a chance to shoot.

As to loud, kick, etc., he's probably in the right ball park.

The barrel is barely over 3" long, and that's from the muzzle to the breach face. That's not much space to burn the powder in a standard .45 round, so yeah, it will probably bark pretty loud.

Sight radius is just over 5", which is not that big of an issue. Any really compact handgun is going to have a sight radius close to that, no matter who makes it. The Heine Straight 8 sights are pretty decent, and they're screwed down so that might help with keeping them from drifting due to recoil.

Speaking of recoil, since so much of that pistol is plastic, I expect it will kick pretty good too. However, when I took it apart to detail clean it (1st thing I always do with any new purchase), I noticed how heavy the slide was and how beefy the recoil springs seemed to be. This made me feel better after I looked "under the hood". I suspect there will be particular loads that this pistol will handle much better than others. If it were a full size .45, load choice would not matter that much.

I'm looking forward to trying it out. I approached the Taurus (my first one) with much trepidation. I'm not a gun snob, but I found myself trying hard not to look down my nose at a 10+1 compact .45 that could be had for as little as $350 brand new.

Will it compare with my H/K's or SIGs? Who knows. I seriously doubt it will take the abuse and the sheer number of rounds that the others could, but I want to give it a fair chance to stand on it's own merit and not rush to judgment based on what others have to say. You hear both sides. Some people love them and some hate them. Also, keep in mind that for everything you can "idiot proof" there's an idiot.

Also, you might give some serious consideration to the 9mm Taurus (PT-111?). Recoil, sound, etc., won't be as bad as the .45 and you will be able to practice for a lot less money.

Ive heard too many stories about 9mm being not enough power to stop people.  I'd consider the .40 but ammo cost is not much different from the .45, and when it comes right down to it.....id rather have the bigger of the two

If i get a 9mm it will be the keltec....its a little smaller, and would be easier to carry, but I still cant decide....ahhhhh
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a P11. I loved it in every way except for the trigger. I added the trigger shoe but it was still gawd aweful. I sold it and have since switched to snubbies for off-duty carry. I will say that I fondled a PT-745 at a gun shop and liked everything about it. I plan on checking out the PT145, too before I make a decision but I plan to buy one of them because they will disappear IWB with a Clipdraw. Kel-tec also has 12rd flush fitting factory magazines. I really haven't heard any bad experiences with the new taurus PT-145/ 745 so I doubt you could go wrong either way. Personally I would go with the Taurus because of the larger caliber and you wouldn't have to buy different ammo. here are some reviews of each if you haven't seen them already.

Almost Ideal Pocket Gun

Taurus PT-145 Ratgun

PT-145 Review
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top