Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2006 9:41:53 AM EDT
Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have a Sig P226 that I really like but unlike most people (it seems) I really like rails on a handgun. My Sig doesn't have any but I'd like to have one that does. Since I can't afford to buy yet ANOTHER pistol, what are the legalities of trading for a 226 that did have rails? Would it be feasible to try and do that on the EE? Or maybe just take it into the local gun shop and pay a little to upgrade?

On an unrelated note, can you drop in a threaded barrel for a P226?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I think your wasting your time and energy. Your gonna take a huge loss at a gunshop and even a loss, though smaller, at a sale just to get the same thig you already have. If you can't afford a new gun, you feel its worthy to spend $100+ on a flashlight that mounts on a gun or close to $300 for the light -laser combo?

Keep the gun you have, buy a nice Surefire hand held light and practice techniques to handle both a the same time. You'll save a buch of money, headache and be better equipped.

FWIW, I tried the mounted gun thing, its not as useful as you might think.

It's not a dumb question, but it sounds like you (like me) don't have a lot of extra cash to throw around. Keep what you have.

Link Posted: 8/20/2006 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe one of the arfcom affiliated dealers is selling an attachment for non-railed Sigs for attaching a weapons light.  Cost is around $57 or so.  I forgot his name.  Something with a "Tic" in it I believe
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Keep the gun you have, buy a nice Surefire hand held light and practice techniques to handle both a the same time. You'll save a buch of money, headache and be better equipped.

[Yoda]Wise words, these are.[/Yoda]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:17:23 AM EDT
[#4]
They make surefires that attach to the trigger guard of 226's.  Keep that damn SIG!

ETA the model # is the Surefire P114D tactical light
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#5]
you can buy an attachment from surefire for non rail sigs to give you a rail   had one on my old P220 it worked awesome....now there are no legalities if you want to trade your hand....life is to short if the gun is not the one you want....get what you do want...but personally I would just buy the attachment and be done with it, especially if the 226 hasnt given you any issues.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#6]
You can add the Dawson rail to enable you to attach a surefire. The rail and light would probably be less than the difference in trading your pistol on a new one.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=2660000-1094593471
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't think if I ever used any rails on handguns...

never, actually...
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Best to sell it yourself. If you try and trade it in, or sell it to a store the MOST you will get is 50% of it's top book value. And that's if it's perfect.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#9]
truthfully I only use the light rail on my one railed pistol (glock 17) at home as a bedside gun. When using it as a CCW its too bulky to have a light attached, so I just carry an E2D in my weak side pocket. In my opinion you should give that a try before investing in a new gun just for the rail as said above.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#10]

This is a TDI Arms/CAA light mount that I purchased from theTIC00 on this site.  Very solid mount and way cheaper than getting the P226R.  Comsider it; I am very pleased with mine.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#11]
You know you will never be satisfired until you get one with a rail, and you also know that you will get one eventually.  It's just a matter of how much you want to spend.  It's like trading in a car to get a new one.  Is the potential savings lost of trading in with the dealer worth the time saved by not having to sell it your self?

My sig 226 with Robar's NP3 finish along with some personal modifications.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought rails were the things trains ran on

None of my handguns have a rail and I seriously doubt I'll ever buy one that does.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:26:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Thought I might also mention that fresh out of SIG's factory is the new cocked and locked 220

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:29:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Surefire P114 on a SIG Sauer P226

If you like this idea, I might sell my extra.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top